Walmart rocket motors :D

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had some success at ToysRus with packs of motors scanning for less than what they're marked. They don't usually have a large selection, but they have a couple more around the holidays. Too bad I don't have a Walmart nearby...

RAID was not desigend for speed.
RAID striping improves speed, but approximately halves reliability (for two drives). RAID striping with parity improves speed with very little loss of reliability, but requires at least three drives. RAID mirroring improves reliability at little or no cost in speed.

You can't just say "RAID" and cover it all.

RAID striping improves speed, but approximately halves reliability (for two drives).

I have two 250 Gb drives in a RAID 0 configuration forming a faster 500 Gb drive. I use it as the "working" and "scratch" disk during editing. Since nothing permanent is stored on it, reliablility isn't a concern.

-- Roger

Just came from the nearest Wal - Mart from my house (on Fry/West Little York) and noticed the Estes engines are now priced at $1.50 per pack!! They
were $3 per pack just a few days ago.

Ooook, time to get in the car again.... Guess I don't have to hit THAT WM do I. :rolleyes:

Ooook, time to get in the car again.... Guess I don't have to hit THAT WM do I. :rolleyes:

I was tempted to buy some that evening, but I already have a pretty good
supply anyway. We can always buy a few from Jesse at Needville, the ones
he got for $1 per pack. That's why he went ahead and bought a whole bag
of them. C6-5's!!

Seems WM is hit or miss. I just checked out my local one this morning and there is nothing left that is rocketry related, even in the clearance aisle. I once did get a pack of A10-3T's there that was marked at $4.97 but scanned for $3 so I know sometimes you do get lucky there.

Glenn

I cleaned out one local WallyWorld about a week ago. All C6's and A10-3Ts at $3 a pack, but those will last me for quite some time!

I need to do some more 13mm scratchies...

jumped on that
2 packs of A10's and C6-5's
1 pack of C6-3, C6-7 and A8-3's

plus 4 cans each of old Krylon gloss white and white primer, now if only I can find some cans of grey or brown primer (also about $3)

While you're in Wal-Mart ....

Super Glue - you can buy a "four-pack" of small tubes of a generic CA glue for about $1. Sometimes you can find a container of 25 small tubes for just a few bucks. Great for emergency on-site repairs (and for gluing fingers together). Usually found near the glues and tapes in the Paint Section, but I've also found them in the Automobile section.

Quick Links - Although the selection isn't as good, quick links are cheaper in the Wal-Mart hardware section than at the home improvement stores. The same goes for nuts and bolts and other small hardware items in common sizes.

Rip-Stop Nylon - if the Wal-Mart has a fabric department, look for remnants of rip-stop nylon for parachutes. We bought some for $1 a yard recently.

Spray Paint - especially ones you use a lot like primer and Gloss White. Spray paint is much cheaper at Wal-Mart than other local stores.

Weights - building a really big rocket and need to adda couple of pounds of weight to the nose? Check out the fitness section at Wal-Mart. You can buy a two-and-a-half pound weight for a couple of dollars. The sporting goods section has a large selection of lead fishing sinkers.

-- Roger

While you're in Wal-Mart ....

Super Glue - you can buy a "four-pack" of small tubes of a generic CA glue for about $1. Sometimes you can find a container of 25 small tubes for just a few bucks. Great for emergency on-site repairs (and for gluing fingers together). Usually found near the glues and tapes in the Paint Section, but I've also found them in the Automobile section.

Quick Links - Although the selection isn't as good, quick links are cheaper in the Wal-Mart hardware section than at the home improvement stores. The same goes for nuts and bolts and other small hardware items in common sizes.

Rip-Stop Nylon - if the Wal-Mart has a fabric department, look for remnants of rip-stop nylon for parachutes. We bought some for $1 a yard recently.

Spray Paint - especially ones you use a lot like primer and Gloss White. Spray paint is much cheaper at Wal-Mart than other local stores.

Weights - building a really big rocket and need to adda couple of pounds of weight to the nose? Check out the fitness section at Wal-Mart. You can buy a two-and-a-half pound weight for a couple of dollars. The sporting goods section has a large selection of lead fishing sinkers.

-- Roger

All good ideas, esp. the rip-stop nylon. I also get sandpaper, can't seem to keep enough of it in the workshop. Also if you fly an Astrocam, it's the only place I've found that still carries 110 film.

Stopped at WM today and they still don't ahve the new display or the new motors. The two full old display style boxes of C6-5's are now SHELF PRICED at $3.00 each.

I was there today and checked--didn't have any hope since they haven't carried rockets or motors for well over a year now. Sure enough they had a display box with various C's priced at $3, plus a few RTF kits.

We still have one with a fabric dept and I'm sure going to miss it. They're scheduled to remodel soon so they aren't getting in new stock of bargain fabrics.

Hit the 3 Wal-Marts on my way home from work this afternoon. Nothing at the 1st 2 stops other than $3 packs. The 3rd one had a $1.50 sticker on the shelf so I cleaned out as much as I could find, ya gotta love those $.50 flights. :D

3 x A10-3T
3 x A8-3
6 x B6-4
5 x C6-3
1 x C6-7

The C6-5's were still pricing at $3 however. Is anybody seeing less than $3 for those motors?

Stopped at WM today and they still don't ahve the new display or the new motors. The two full old display style boxes of C6-5's are now SHELF PRICED at $3.00 each.

i stopped at the 24 hour Wm on the way to work today. A club member had told me he cleaned them out of clearance motors for $2 a pack about a month ago, so i thought I would see if they restocked.

Yup.

More motors on the shelf.

Shelf sticker normal color and $3.

I scanned the 3 types of motors at the scanner in electronics.
C6-7 and C6-5 scanned at $2.
C6-3 produced a message about the UPC code and not being able to find a price.

I took some up to the register and the $2 motors rang up at $2 a pack, but the C6-3 motors rang up at $4.97 a pack. THey could not/would not adjust, so I left them and just bought some of the C6-5 and C6-7.

There will be a LOT of clustering in 2009.

:D

I'm building a BT-70 3x18mm cluster rocket myself. I've always wanted to try it, but never been willing to pay the bucks for the engines...

Come to think of it, flying a clustered model, such as the SEMROC 1/70
Saturn 1-B on four C6's is cheaper than a single large engine.....;)

I'm building a BT-70 3x18mm cluster rocket myself. I've always wanted to try it, but never been willing to pay the bucks for the engines...

BT-70 is PERFECT for a 7 x BT-20 motor mount. I've built and flown many over the last decades.

I took some up to the register and the $2 motors rang up at $2 a pack, but the C6-3 motors rang up at $4.97 a pack. THey could not/would not adjust, so I left them and just bought some of the C6-5 and C6-7.
That's when you go through the scan-it-yourself line... :pirate:

That's when you go through the scan-it-yourself line... :pirate:

Self check was not open, but a dangerous idea...You have a huge box in the cart and scan the cheaper pack of motors over and over again and just place the higher priced items in the bagging area one by one. Like buying packages of meat and scanning the cheaper one. That's why they have MASSIVE video surveillance.

Man I must just have bad luck. Did actually find a couple of boxes of motors at one of the wally-worlds here, but not at the prices you guys are quoting - more like $6 and change. Cheaper than hobby town or hobby lobby but def. not a sreaming deal. I don't get it - why aren't there deals here in Colorado?

I scanned the 3 types of motors at the scanner in electronics.
C6-7 and C6-5 scanned at $2.

Oh good, I just haven't been lucky enough to catch the C6-5's at lower than $3 but they do exist. Good to know because I left a bunch of them, for now. Muahahahaha! :D

*ponders a trip to LA* :surprised:

I took a different route home yesterday and expanded my hunting range a bit and hit 4 more Wallys on the way home.

Nothing but $3 motors at the 1st and last stop but on the 2nd stop I found 8 C6-3 packs for $1 a piece. Status: scarfed. :rotflol:

The 3rd stop netted 15 of the elusive $1.50 C6-5 packs and I also had a C6-3 pack that told me to see an associate when I scanned it. When I had the associate ring it up the price was back to $4.97. I declined purchasing that pack. :D

Another store last night had the same $3 shelf tag. All scanned at $3. I left them.

This morning I had to visit a supplier in a far corner of the county. Very urban. ZERO launch sites. Major airports on all sides plus multiple general aviation airports and the Goodyear blimp. I've never been in that Wal-Mart, so I stopped in at 7 ish after finishing up at the supplier (started before 5 am). Shelf tag $4.97 half the motors scanned for $1 and the others scanned at $3. The scanner was held by the toy dept dude. He said, he marked them all down recently to $1 but they sent more as well as more discount money and he did not have time to mark them down again. he pushed some buttons on his hand held scanner device and revised the $3 prices to $1.

Needless to say, I bought a few. 1970 prices. :p;):D

My $3 pack of motors at Wal-Mart has all but dried up! I went the other day and they had a full shelf and they ran up at $4.97 per pack when I did a price check at one of their scanners. Bummer!!!:cry::cry:

I took a different route home yesterday and expanded my hunting range a bit and hit 4 more Wallys on the way home.

Nothing but $3 motors at the 1st and last stop but on the 2nd stop I found 8 C6-3 packs for $1 a piece. Status: scarfed. :rotflol:

The 3rd stop netted 15 of the elusive $1.50 C6-5 packs and I also had a C6-3 pack that told me to see an associate when I scanned it. When I had the associate ring it up the price was back to $4.97. I declined purchasing that pack. :D
I'm getting the feeling that I need to start haunting Wal-Marts again!

But I just now counted my stash of motor 3-packs, and I have 33 C6-5 3-packs, and 28 B6-4 3-packs. This doesn't include loose motors that I have in my field box.

Is that enough, considering that I seem to make it to a launch only 3 or 4 times a year?

But I just now counted my stash of motor 3-packs, and I have 33 C6-5 3-packs, and 28 B6-4 3-packs. This doesn't include loose motors that I have in my field box.

Is that enough, considering that I seem to make it to a launch only 3 or 4 times a year?

More than enough; never know what might happen down the road. That's
how I ended up with so many OOP motors dating from 1970. Career change
in 1982 ended my model rocketry "career" for about 21 years before I could
enjoy the hobby once again.

Yeah, obviously you have a surplus. You should send me some of those B6-4's so they don't go to waste...

Back