Higgs Farm, Oct 11 "Crop Report"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhickok

Reaction score
Could someone attending MDRA's Oct. 11 launch chime in here with how much the remaining corn & soy played a role in recovery? For some of us only free on Sunday, it'll help us make a more educated decision.

Thanks,
Richard Hickok

Not a problem. If I forget and haven't posted anything by 9 pm (takes a bit to get back home), send a PM by email to me as a gentle nudge. :wave:

Ok, Here is the report,

In the center of the image that I've attached is the flight line (thick purple line), on the west side of the field. The thinner purple lines to the left of it are the small, medium and large rocket racks, respectively.
The area around the racks are clear of crops with most flights seemingly landing around where I put little green X's.
In the upper right corner, the orange arrow showed the general wind direction (SouthWest).
At the bottom and bottom left are high corn, but we didn't have anything that came close to those areas today. The area at the top is also high corn.
To the right are soybeans which seemed to be about 18 inches tall, but we didn't have much landing there other than a failed ejection on a K motor which nosedived where the red X is.
An L motor was launched and successfully landed to the right of the map (Purple X) but the guy had a Walston tracker and I don't know the field conditions in that area, but the rocket went about 10k feet.
In the upperleft, I can't remember but I think it was low soybeans. I think we only had one rocket that went out there.
Most of the ejections appeared to be above where the blue circle is.

I hope that helps your planning.

View attachment Higgs.JPG

It sounds like one of our normal launch reports in Minnesota. Make sure to bring a LONG brightly painted pole and hand radios to help locate and direct you in the corn while your searching for your rocket. Beepers and trackers on the rocket help too!!!;):D;)

www.tsmrockets.com

My Launch report
I launched 2 rockets on E8-9's. (TLP Hawk, and Dynastar Grappler). The Grappler suffered a broken fin because it got tangled with the line.

Then I started helping a very nice family that was new to rockets and the kids were having a blast, and they needed help with a rocket with SU F motor. They weren't sure how to do it so I helped them. Apparantly the force of that little motor shoved itself up into the rocket which made for a very low flight. Then it arcred over quickly because it was such a low flight and it hit the ground. Then it ejected the chute.

The next rocket I helped them with, they came to me with a PML X-Caliber and another F motor. They couldn't figure out how to make it work. The problem was the X-Cal had a 38 mm mount, and the F motor was just not going to fit that. To help them get it off the ground, I suggested that they try one of those 38mm G motors. I had the motor if they would only buy the propellant, which they did.
I then worked with them to show them how to do a reload, and then I gave the rocket a good once over which included some sanding of the pistons.
The problem was that they never built in some kind of motor retention system. So I taped it as much as I could and friction fitted that sucker in there until it took pliers to even budge it.
Well, the flight was fantastic, they were excited to see their rocket go up. I even walked with them to pick it up. Unfortunately my casing kicked out somewhere (if you find it please let me know). We looked for a good half hour, but I have a feeling that it kicked out at ejection, which was over the soybeans. I'll never get that one again.
They kept saying that would pay me for the motor and I didn't want to take their money. They kept on and on and finally the mom walked over with $60 and begged me to take it or else she would feel really bad. I felt bad because, well, could have happened to my rocket and I was the one to do all the friction fitting. So we compromised on $40 with the promise if I found it that I will be giving it back.
Then I launched my PML Black Brant X ( aka Black Flag) on a J420 R for a beautiful flight and landing.

Never saw Ben or his Dad there.

Thanks for the thorough report, Skycopp. I'm still waffling on whether to go Sunday, but I do appreciate you posting your findings.

See you on the field, whether tomorrow, or next month.

Richard

Thanks for the thorough report, Skycopp. I'm still waffling on whether to go Sunday, but I do appreciate you posting your findings.

See you on the field, whether tomorrow, or next month.

Richard

Not a prob. Today was such a perfect day for launching. I hope tomorrow is the same and that you can come. (I won't be able to be there tomorrow though).

At our September launch one of our members launched his rocket and lost his 29mm motor casing (black/old Aerotech casing) in the soybeans. at the end of the day we took a short break and everybody went out and walked the beans and we found it. It was closer than we had though. About at Apogee it kicked out and fell straight down from there.

My Launch report
I launched 2 rockets on E8-9's. (TLP Hawk, and Dynastar Grappler). The Grappler suffered a broken fin because it got tangled with the line.

Then I started helping a very nice family that was new to rockets and the kids were having a blast, and they needed help with a rocket with SU F motor. They weren't sure how to do it so I helped them. Apparantly the force of that little motor shoved itself up into the rocket which made for a very low flight. Then it arcred over quickly because it was such a low flight and pierced one of those EZ UPs and nearly stabbed the RSO. It put a nice little hole (1/4 inch) with the tip of its nose cone in the RSO table. Then it ejected the chute.

The next rocket I helped them with, they came to me with a PML X-Caliber and another F motor. They couldn't figure out how to make it work. The problem was the X-Cal had a 38 mm mount, and the F motor was just not going to fit that. To help them get it off the ground, I suggested that they try one of those 38mm G motors. I had the motor if they would only buy the propellant, which they did.
I then worked with them to show them how to do a reload, and then I gave the rocket a good once over which included some sanding of the pistons.
The problem was that they never built in some kind of motor retention system. So I taped it as much as I could and friction fitted that sucker in there until it took pliers to even budge it.
Well, the flight was fantastic, they were excited to see their rocket go up. I even walked with them to pick it up. Unfortunately my casing kicked out somewhere (if you find it please let me know). We looked for a good half hour, but I have a feeling that it kicked out at ejection, which was over the soybeans. I'll never get that one again.
They kept saying that would pay me for the motor and I didn't want to take their money. They kept on and on and finally the mom walked over with $60 and begged me to take it or else she would feel really bad. I felt bad because, well, could have happened to my rocket and I was the one to do all the friction fitting. So we compromised on $40 with the promise if I found it that I will be giving it back.
Then I launched my PML Black Brant X ( aka Black Flag) on a J420 R for a beautiful flight and landing.

Never saw Ben or his Dad there.

How did the ARTS do?

Looks like were back on the front field again. Thanks for the report Skycopp. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting down this weekend.

Looks like were back on the front field again. Thanks for the report Skycopp. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting down this weekend.

Red Glare 5 will be at a different location I believe. I can't remember if it will be on the Eastern (right) side of the road or at the North end where we had the last one. The crops should be cleared by then.

All the info. I've read indicates the same filed as usual. That is why the late date for Red Glare.....

JD

What I heard was that Red Glare was going to be in the front area to the right. At least that was the notices state.

There is an MDRA meeting this Thursday. I'll see if I can attend and get more info.

Latest posts

Back