RockSim Feature Requests Wanted

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PDF export of both 2D and 3D images...probably worthless but I think it would be nice.

PDF export of both 2D and 3D images...probably worthless but I think it would be nice.

I guess I'm spoiled on my macintosh... I've been using the print to a pdf to create these kind of images since version 8 came out over three years ago.

I use the images all the time in my newsletters. For example, in the next issue I needed a chart from RockSim. I printed out the chart to a pdf, and then pulled it into Adobe Illustrator to do some editing. It makes for a very crisp image in the newsletter that is much smaller than a jpg image.

It is possible to type in a number. Just select the a delay, highlight the number and type over it.

With my copy I have never been able to make this work UNLESS I hit ENTER (NOT TAB!!!) after I type the new delay into the space.

Once I found that trick I was a much happier RockSIM user.

I'm not willing to pay anything over the normal nominal upgrade fee:

0) Centering Ring management - easily clone one and evenly distribute x-number along a body tube.

1) Incorporate Base Drag and Very Long Rockets calculations by Bruce Levinson - make these optional (check on/off) to allow for quick and dirty simulations of Fat Boys and similar rockets.

2) The ability to view motor Thrust Curves easily during motor selection.

3) Quick and Dirty Rocket simulations - like wRASP has. Size body, length, weight, number of fins and basic surface finish. From this create basic rocket that can be edited by user to tailor.

4) Automatic "suggestions" - like jumping to and highlighting the body tube that fits the nosecone already added if the selection is body tube.

5) Much easier parts subassemblies.

6) Better Fin creation options. Drag and drop shapes?

7) Global (within a rocket) changes to surface finish.

8) Better materials database.

9) Ability to submit parts / materials / etc. for inclusion into updates to share with others. This would require some vetting and screening process.

I think Uncle Vanya might be on to something. Why not let parts libraries (fin library, parts library, materials library, etc.) be more 'open source' like the thrust curves are? Lot's of people develop thrust curves, several websites make them available and if there's a motor you don't have, you can usually find it and download it. Why make each user reinvent the wheel? EMRR makes a Rocksim library available so we can share but why not individual parts and subassemblies? That way not only can individual users create Rocksim libraries, but manufacturers might create Rocksim assemblies and make them available just like many parts manufacturers make AutoCAD drawings of their parts available. Use a Fliskits baffle? Get from Flis. Need a Semroc NC? Download it from Semroc. Sure, not all the manufacturers have the time to provide that kind of support but why not make the option available?

I think Uncle Vanya might be on to something. Why not let parts libraries (fin library, parts library, materials library, etc.) be more 'open source' like the thrust curves are?

Great idea.

In fact, all the libraries are in a format that anyone can access. They are tab-delimited spreadsheet files. So it is possible for anyone to create database files for RockSim. Even SpaceCod recommends using RockSim's data files.

If you are up to it, go ahead and start a database like John Coker did for engine files. I'm sure a lot of people would thank you for it.

I guess I'm spoiled on my macintosh... I've been using the print to a pdf to create these kind of images since version 8 came out over three years ago.

I use the images all the time in my newsletters. For example, in the next issue I needed a chart from RockSim. I printed out the chart to a pdf, and then pulled it into Adobe Illustrator to do some editing. It makes for a very crisp image in the newsletter that is much smaller than a jpg image.

It's easy to get the same funstionality on Windows. There are several free programs that let you print to PDFs just like you would prnt to a normal printer. I like PDFCreator.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
I don't know if text is kept as text, or if it is all an image, though. It might end up being just as large as a JPEG image.

The current simulation uses a very simple model of the launch rod/rail that is not realistic. It would be nice if it were improved.

The launch rail/rod is assumed to provide rigid guidance for some fixed distance. This is not realistic and several things can be done to improve the simulation.

1) Adjust the guidance length based on the location of the lug/buttons/guides. Currently if you specify a 6' rod, that is the length used before the aerodynamics take over. The simulation should adjust this based on the location of the lugs.

2) Since rail buttons are normally spaced some distance apart once all but one has left the rail it allow the rocket to pivot around it. If that button is at the base of the rocket then all of the wind force is in front of it pushing the rocket over. So correcting the simulation to account for these effects would be nice.

3) Simulating the non-rigid nature of the rod/rail is probably too much to wish for. But it would allow people to see (without actually doing it) what happens when you use a 1/4" rod for a J powered rocket.

I wouldn't pay extra for these features but it might convince me to upgrade. I skipped the V8 upgrade because I just didn't see anything that was worth the cost.

Oh, a Linux version would be nice as that is my preferred OS. V7 didn't get along with WINE so I am currently using V6 unless I fire up my semi-retired Win98 box.

my thoughts,
I have RS 7, haven't used it in a while but I may start to use it again soon.
Fins on Tubes, Fins on Fins, Tubes on Fins etc. $10 - $20 more
Ring and tube fins are covered in RS 8 right?

Tim in reference to your post (#13) about check boxes for features and Peartree's (Post #34) on service tiers (my idea is similar). I think something along these lines is a good idea if there is a way for it to be manageable. Let’s say that RS 8 stays the current version, (work on RS 9 is a few years away) yet there is enough demand for a "Fins on other places" module, a "scaling" module, and a few other modules. You could release the separate modules at $25 - $40 a pop and then we could buy the ones we wanted, like when the PC Game makers come out with "Expansion Pac" games for successful titles.

When RS9 is then launched later the most popular module(s) could be rolled in and new ones put out. I don’t know what your development cycle looks like though to know if this is even close to feasible.

A scripting/macro language would be really cool. - $50.

As new features are added in the base program, the interface gets more complicated and confusing. By supporting a scripting language, users could download and install scripts for specific features that they want.

Users with programming experience could develop add-ons for their own use or for sharing with others. The most popular add-ons can be incorporated directly into later versions of RockSim.

Python is free and fairly easy to integrate into an application.

-- Roger

Rocksim aside, i think it was a very bad move, especially to those of us who paid for Rocksim, to restrict access to the various Apogee newsletters and rocksim tips / examples. Articles, which i could access for free not too long ago, are now all truncated - instead asking to visit a link to obtain the articles on a CD.

As a rocksim paying customer, this is BS and IMHO a slap in the face as i frequently used those articles to assist in my rocksim simulations / models.

Rocksim aside, i think it was a very bad move, especially to those of us who paid for Rocksim, to restrict access to the various Apogee newsletters and rocksim tips / examples. Articles, which i could access for free not too long ago, are now all truncated - instead asking to visit a link to obtain the articles on a CD.

As a rocksim paying customer, this is BS and IMHO a slap in the face as i frequently used those articles to assist in my rocksim simulations / models.

I agree completely! I ran into that when one of the threads here suggested one of the older newsletters to create a work around for RS and came to that link. I almost started a thead here about that, but just blew off steam and forgot about it...thanks for reminding me :mad:

Tim, you have a lot of really great suggestions for things that perhaps do not need to be "built in" to the core (simulation engine, editor, graphing) of rocksim. why not make an open "plugin" interface that can work on the xml and callouts for a few other internals - that's the way to get (uneconomic) features that people want. think of the rocksim "economy", all the feature plug-ins, motor files, parts files ...

Part 1: What would you like to see as a new feature in a future version of RockSim?

Part 2: What would you be willing to pay for it? (Not the total version of the software, but for that one extra feature.)

I'd like to get a drawing with dimensions on it, instead of having to write them on a printout myself.

I thought I should have gotten that as part of the $150 I've paid for rocksim and upgrades.

I don't recall truncating articles or removing anything from the Apogee Components webs site. Probably what you are looking for is in there if you dig deep; I've put out 220 newsletter and all kinds of other free stuff. So it can be hard to find stuff with so much information available. I marvel at all the free stuff I've given away, especially when I compare it to any other manufacturer.

If it is related to RockSim, you'll find them at one of three places:

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Peak-of-Flight_index.asp

https://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim_faq.asp

or

https://www.apogeerockets.com/RockSim_tutorials.asp

Tim, you have a lot of really great suggestions for things that perhaps do not need to be "built in" to the core (simulation engine, editor, graphing) of rocksim. why not make an open "plugin" interface that can work on the xml and callouts for a few other internals - that's the way to get (uneconomic) features that people want. think of the rocksim "economy", all the feature plug-ins, motor files, parts files ...

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. But there is a xml dictionary that comes with RockSim that will explain how to parse the design files. We're waiting for people to write some plug-ins for RockSim.

I don't recall truncating articles or removing anything from the Apogee Components webs site. Probably what you are looking for is in there if you dig deep; I've put out 220 newsletter and all kinds of other free stuff. So it can be hard to find stuff with so much information available. I marvel at all the free stuff I've given away, especially when I compare it to any other manufacturer.

Uh, a lot of (once free) articles are truncated now. You start reading an article and then get this message:

apogee01.jpg

I hope you're not encouraging copyright violation.

That would be ethically troublesome wouldn't it? No Tim, I couldn't recommend that anyone post them on the internet for everyone. But if I have a copy of something that someone else gave away for free and a friend has need of it, is it a violation for me to loan it to him?

Ethics are important to me and especially since I write (and talk) for a living I understand your point. While I don't currently copyright my work, it's not difficult to envision a day that I might. Wholesale publication of copyrighted work is obviously unethical but at what level do we descend below the "personal use" waterline?

My hope was more to point out the apparent irrationality of removing access to articles that were given away to thousands of people and who likely (due to the low cost of computer memory) have many of those articles archived.

I'm supposed to know what's right because I teach and encourage (and am expected to model) moral and ethical behavior. I admit that in cases like this, knowing what is right, ethical, moral and legal requires some parsing that even I find difficult.

Uh, a lot of (once free) articles are truncated now. You start reading an article and then get this message:

Which newsletter did that come from? I guess to be more specific, which article do you think got truncated, or which one got removed?

You are right in that I do put out the CD-ROM with higher quality images. But I don't even charge for it any more. I give it away free to my repeat customers. https://www.apogeerockets.com/Frequent_flyer.asp

And I do admit that I did rewrite a few articles and added more information to some of them that are only available on the CD-ROM. But I don't recall going back and truncating any of the ones from the past.

If you think I've somehow shorted you on the free articles, I apologize from the bottom of my heart. If you read anything free in the past, it is probably still there somewhere. However, I could be wrong. I often am. The reason is that I've put out so much stuff that I'm getting to the point where I don't remember everything I've written anymore. And we've done two major revisions to the web site in the last two years, so I suppose it is possible that something got lost in the renovation.

Tim,

Thank you for asking this question.

Along with the ability to put fin-on-fins, placing body tubes, nosecones, and engine tubes anywhere off the main tube without hacking the .xml file, I would like to be able to reverse the values on transitions.

I have run into situations where the transition is not pointed in the right direction. This is easy enough to fix, but a checkbox that reverses the values would be nice.

All the above additions would be worth $40 to $50 "upgrade" or "add-on" fee.

I would love to see a "paint booth" screen.

Something to paint your newly created rocket and even design decals. Or lets you bring in images from your computer to complete it.

Here is at least one: https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter86.pdf Pages 7-11 of the original newsletter have been replaced with the CD-ROM blurb.

Thanks for that document. I had forgot about it.

If my memory serves me well, that blurb in Newsletter 86 about the CD-ROM was not a replacement. In other words, I didn't come back and edit the article after it went out. That was the original newsletter that went out to subscribers.

I thought about putting the full version of that article up on the Apogee web site. But it is a complicated story that involves lawyers of a programmer that I no longer do business with. Suffice it to say that if I did put the rest of the newsletter up on the web site, I'd be dealing with lawyers again.

Maybe one day I'll rewrite that article. And I'll make sure to cut it off in mid-article again because

Back