Design the New TRF Logo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need the old logo...
These are not the fonts you are looking for...

(If Obiwan was a graphic designer.)

I will probably not enter. But if people (like me) are concerned about keeping the old logo but also like the possibility of having a new one, maybe someone can 'redo' our old logo.

There's another good thought there. Anyone? Anyone?

Ah, yes . . . one of my favorite "Farside"s. I can't help but detect a similarity to the Fliskit ACME Spitfire.

I think that comic is actually where Jim got the inspiration for his Spitfire. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I kind of liken this whole "new logo" thing as a refresh of our brand and image. I want the look and feel of the site to feel the same. Of course, we'll open up the logo design to polls to see what everyone else thinks.

Anyone remember the old Taco Bell and Pizza Hut logos? LOL - Ok, so I like some fast food. Both were very successful redraws of their images. I guess that's what I'd like to vocalize we go for. Something new, techie, clean, fresh - but with the spirit of the old logo so that the brand is recognizable. Of course, someone could redraw something totally new that blows us (and the rest of the forum members) away.

I think that comic is actually where Jim got the inspiration for his Spitfire. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope you're correct. Jim could probably chime in hear any time to relate the story.

But, as he explained it directly to me. His son approached him with that comic and challenged him to make it flyable. Jim took the challange and did just that. What a man eh?

The question I have is did a copy of Jim's Spitfire ever make it to Gary Larson? Last I heard, Gary was still up in the Northwest.

Here's my idea. It's a combination of photos photoshopped together, not a logo, and the rocket in it is a kit, so it's probably copyrighted, but maybe someone can work with it because I don't have the skills to make a good-looking logo inspired by this picture.

trf_logo_idea.jpg

The logo part is public domain clipart IIRC, and certainly not unique to TRF. That bit should go, and presumably this is why the new owners are holding such a contest.
I have no artistic skills whatsoever, so I won't enter any design.

Does it matter?, as if this forum doesn't have more important things to change

My two cents . . .

I'd like to see a Thor-esque design come up, maybe with a 'puffy'/stratus cloud background - and, yes, I only get one vote like everyone else.

I just think it'd be unique to see a LPR (18mm) version as a logo and kitted.

As for the theme, mentioned by Phil, I'm not sure how to answer that - other than as mentioned the new logo must fit into our mission statement given in the first post.

Sorry, I don't think my original post was very clear. By 'theme', I mean the colour scheme that TRF uses for the forum layout. The current logo is blue/white/silvery, and the current forum colour scheme is blue/white/greyish. If someone designed a logo using, say, yellow, black and red, would the forum colour scheme be changed along with it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb?

Phil

e.g. a simple thing like receiving an email to threads that you subscribed too or with private messages.

I don't know about you guys but I'm not getting any.

Leo, that has to do with the current residential connection the server is on. It's been broken for some time and is something we're looking to fix once the site is moved to a 3rd party hosting service.

Sorry, I don't think my original post was very clear. By 'theme', I mean the colour scheme that TRF uses for the forum layout. The current logo is blue/white/silvery, and the current forum colour scheme is blue/white/greyish. If someone designed a logo using, say, yellow, black and red, would the forum colour scheme be changed along with it so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb?

Phil

Modest adjustments can be made to vBulletin templates to compliment logos and whatnot. I think the current site colors are easy on the eyes, not too flashy, and clean. I would mind seeing different mock-ups with a refreshed logo to see if any changes would need to be made.

Overall, I think we're just wanting something new and fresh to keep with the current theme. It's all about maintaining brand recognition.

It's all about maintaining brand recognition.
So your expectations are a tweak to the current design, not a revamp.

Something along the lines of morphing a 1968 Shelby Mustang GT into a 2007 GT500. Not wanting to replace it with a 1970 Pantera.

Disclaimer- I really don't like Fords (except for the Pantera, which is
really knock-off of the Itallian De Tomaso). Mustangs used only for
analogy.

So your expectations are a tweak to the current design, not a revamp.

Just to clarify, we have no expectations. We're looking for ideas - any ideas you may have. So have at it and let's see what you come up with, whether it be a revamp or an entirely new scratch logo. It could be a Thor, an Alpha, a Sprite, an Orbital Transport, a Kraken, a Gremlin, whatever your heart desires. We just needs your suggestions . . . and we'll let the board vote.

Just to let everyone know,

I have designed the "T".

I'll probably have the "H" sometime soon...

I am going to make each letter a different font and color so that everyone will be happy!

For my first post here on TRF, thank you to the admins for fixing my account, I would like to submit this as a logo idea.

Coach

trflogo_redo.jpg

Not bad Coach! Pretty darn original! Thanks for submitting.

So much for Shrox having a complete run-away. Excellent entry Coach!

For my first post here on TRF, thank you to the admins for fixing my account, I would like to submit this as a logo idea.

Coach

Just a suggestion--you should apply antialiasing to everything but the text (which already has AA) to make it look less jagged.

Well, I think that most I have seen are a little busy, and won't translate well into mono color.

What kind of logo do people want? I was thinking more modern and iconic.

I think simple always wins out. Think of the corporate logos that are most memorable to you -- and I'll bet they are all pretty simple. I won't even offer an example, just Google a a few companies and look at their logo.

Back