Design the New TRF Logo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
TRF Members,

We as new owners are really excited to announce the "Design the New TRF Logo" contest. Running now through 31 October, each TRF member is encouraged to submit their design that best reflects the spirit and intent of TRF as follows in our mission statement: "the spirit of establishing a nice, friendly place for people to get to know each other, talk about building rockets, get constructive advice and generally congregate for a good time". Again, the contest opens 1 October and closes at midnight on 31 October (PDT). No late entries will be considered.

We'd like to ask that each submission conform to the following:

1) Be of clean, conservative, contemporary, design capable of both being used on this website, as well as capable of being reproduced on materials such as shirts, coffee mugs, water bottles, range box stickers, etc. With that being said, please keep in mind that by incorporating a plethora of colors into your design it becomes more difficult and expensive to reproduce.

2) Please incorporate the rocket, of your choice, into the design. The rocket must be of original design, OR not currently under trademark, copyright, or proprietary rights by another company/entity.

a) In theory the rocket incorporated into the logo should be stable enough for flight.

b) It's the intent of the TRF owners to make the winning entry into a specially produced TRF rocket kit available for a nominal cost. The winner of the design will receive the first kit put into production!

3) All entries must incorporate the words "The Rocketry Forum" into their logo. New type fonts are encouraged but, the type fonts must be easily read and legible. Please keep in mind that we are not renaming the website.

4) All entries should be posted, here under this tread - with a brief explanation as to what their design represents and/or why they chose to take the path they did. Entries not posted under this "sticky" thread will not be considered. Please do not PM, e-mail, or submit in other areas of the forum unless directed to do so by the owners, admins, or mods.

5) Have fun with the design!!! The winning choice will be selected by the TRF membership, with voting ending on Nov. 15th 2008.

6) In keeping with the spirit and intent of the website, no profane, sexual, political comments/agendas, or anything else that detracts from this family oriented website will be tolerated.

Folks, here's the scoop. We feel a strong urge to unite the members of TRF into a common cause. By hosting this contest we feel that members will develop a vested interest into TRF. That by knowing you have the opportunity to contribute, you'll help maintain this website as a premier place to discuss model rocketry.

We fully anticipate taking things even a step forward within the next few months by offering the winning logo "rocket" as a kit for all TRF members to purchase. We also fully anticipate making available such items as mentioned above: shirts, coffee mugs, water bottles, lapel pins, range box stickers, etc. All proceeds will be returned directly back to the web site, as a non-profit organization.

All members should note that each and every submission becomes the property of TRF. By submitting for the contest, members are agreeing to relinquish all rights and privileges to the design and further agree that TRF may use the logo for commercial purposes, to raise funds for the maintaining and upkeep of the web site.

I'm sure there's probably something else I've missed - so check back often for possible updates.

Lastly, we look tremendously forward to seeing all of your entries. Best wishes to everyone!

Would it be fair if I enter?

Well, there are many talented folks on this forum including yourself. While everyone else might think it'd be unfair of your to enter, we (the owners) would be absolutely thrilled. :D Of course, the judging of entries will be heavily influenced by feedback from forum members so we encourage anyone and everyone with an interest in developing a new logo for the site draft their best image and submit it for entry. Everyone has a fair shot at this.

Please note to those that may be discouraged if Shrox does enter his ideas: even if your entry is a roughly sketched design on a napkin, the idea may be appealing enough for us to utilize the concept and have it redrawn professionally.

Shrox, go for it!!

(But, if you do win, you should then be obligated to desing a few kits exclusively for TRF! :D:D )

Meh. I'm not entering because I like the original one and want to see it on the top of this page for as long as this forum exists. Also `it is easily recognized and known by 1000s of people around the world. PLEASE KEEP IT

even if your entry is a roughly sketched design on a napkin, the idea may be appealing enough for us to utilize the concept and have it redrawn professionally.

O thank goodness. Even in the rare event that I might have a creative thought, there is virtually no chance of me communicating that thought artistically...:D

O thank goodness. Even in the rare event that I might have a creative thought, there is virtually no chance of me communicating that thought artistically...:D

As one that doesn't have photoshop or drawing capabilities, I will make my suggestion for someone who does to try to tackle. I think the name part of the present logo should be retained, but the picture should be changed to a rendition of the Interceptor M with booster. In my time on this forum, I must say that project seems more "TRF" than any other one I have been following. I would call this more of a logo "tweak" than a logo "redesign".

Although I haven't seen any of the new suggestions yet I will say that I like the current logo very much for it's simplicity and for being neutral in design :)

I also say that when you get ready for a final vote, please allow the existing logo to be a part of the contest. It has kinda grown on me...

Is there asnything wrong with the ol' one? It is synonymous with hobby of model rocketry as most everyone knows it, whether they hate this forum or not...

Johnnie

Is there asnything wrong with the ol' one? It is synonymous with hobby of model rocketry as most everyone knows it, whether they hate this forum or not...

Johnnie

There is some truth to that, at least let the original logo be involved in any voting.

The logo part is public domain clipart IIRC, and certainly not unique to TRF. That bit should go, and presumably this is why the new owners are holding such a contest.
I have no artistic skills whatsoever, so I won't enter any design.

Would any new logo have to fit in with the current TRF theme, or would a new theme be based on the winning logo?

Phil

Would it be fair if I enter?

Yes, Shrox you can enter.

As for thoughts on retaining the old logo, we can certainly keep the old one in the vote. However, we'd equally like to consider new ideas.

As for the theme, mentioned by Phil, I'm not sure how to answer that - other than as mentioned the new logo must fit into our mission statement given in the first post.

Again, as Eugenio mentioned even if you can draw a simple hand-drawn diagram and upload it - we have people you can refine it, if chosen. So have at it!

That's very classy of Shrox to be concerned about the fairness of the contest. What a gentleman.

That's very classy of Shrox to be concerned about the fairness of the contest. What a gentleman.

Just remember, Shrox might have the experience - you might have the design chosen.

Put it out there and lets see what happens folks! Stick people are perfectly okay. ;)

The logo part is public domain clipart IIRC, and certainly not unique to TRF. That bit should go, and presumably this is why the new owners are holding such a contest.
I have no artistic skills whatsoever, so I won't enter any design.

This was certainly the original intent. We could always keep the font choice since it is recognizable and create a unique logo/artistic portion.

We'll definitely keep the old logo in the poll process. It'll be interesting overall to see how this pans out.

I am no artist and don't have the photoshop skills for this but the idea that come to my mind is based on "Forum", a place to come together and discuss. I kind of pictured a bunch of togate people examining a variety of rockets with a "TRF" rocket claiming most of the attention.

In the first clip below, each of the characters would have a different type or style. The guy in the cuirass might have a scaled missile or something and the guy on the far right might have a MMX something hanging down. A big TRF rocket would be splayed across the bottom.

In the second, I can see Socrates grabbing a rocket (instead of the hemlock) and pontificating about it. The weepy guy is already picturing the CATO in his mind.

I know the colors of these ideas are too extravagent but I think a monotone version could be put together with only the TRF rocket and the text in color.

rome.jpg

en_greekphilosophers.jpg

I found one more. Its probably too busy but it seems tailor made for housing various threads of discussion and having something prominent (TRF rocket) be the center of attention.

atheenseschool-web.jpg

I probably should have said, I like the current logo just fine. Keeping it would not bother me at all.

In the second, I can see Socrates grabbing a rocket (instead of the hemlock) and pontificating about it. The weepy guy is already picturing the CATO in his mind.

Don't you know anything about art? In this piece Socrates is obviously challenging the crowd to a game of "pull my finger" while the unseen person on the left hands him another beer. The man weeps because his eyes still burn from the previous round while the two young men in the background agree "he who smelt it dealt it."

Well done JAL! Thanks for being the first to put the suggestion/recommendations in.

For all those who have suggested we keep the TRF logo, we do hear you. However the vote won't happen until November. No need to vote now.

Let's keep those logo ideas coming . . .

Don't you know anything about art? In this piece Socrates is obviously challenging the crowd to a game of "pull my finger" while the unseen person on the left hands him another beer. The man weeps because his eyes still burn from the previous round while the two young men in the background agree "he who smelt it dealt it."

I'm going to cry. I'm not sure if its because of:

1 the laughing
2 the sad state of classical education
3 my arthritis is acting up
4 I have to pay bills.

Most likely, it is a combination of all 4

I will probably not enter. But if people (like me) are concerned about keeping the old logo but also like the possibility of having a new one, maybe someone can 'redo' our old logo.

Back