18mm motor poll

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking with less than 1 year of experience, I'd say that the B6 is the all-around best LPR motor for LOTS of different situations.

Now I just have to wait for all those MMX nerds to find this!

I had to choose A8.... BUT

(and much like my own... it's a Big Butt)

I had to figure how many A8's I use in my classes. Easily 30 per launch. 15 kids X 2 launches each.

It certainly adds Up. Just got in a big bunch of QUEST A6. So we will see how those go!

C6's, if only because I have a couple rockets that fly really well on clusters of 3 of them...

C6-3s, buts thats mainly cos i had a fling for a while with gliders that needed a c to lift them - i'd have perferred a C6-2 - but that does not exist.

I use more C6s. But I buy B4s over B6s - Slightly longer burn time and a little slower on the way up. Gotta keep them in production.

I had to vote B6's because I do use them more mainly because I used to fly on a small field. When I switched over to a bigger field I found myself using C6's a lot more plus 18mm RMS reloads.

I voted B because I always fly a small rocket first to get a "read" on the wind.

I like C6s Especialy when i use them for staging:D like the CICI two stage, geeze that went straight in such high winds

B6, easily, and most particularly the B6-4. For most of my scale models, the B6-4 gives it enough power for a reasonable flight but low enough power to make sure I get them back again.

Speaking with less than 1 year of experience, I'd say that the B6 is the all-around best LPR motor for LOTS of different situations.

Now I just have to wait for all those MMX nerds to find this!

Yeah - where's the most-used MMX motor poll? :p

I agree with the B6, though for 18mm.

I burn A8's, B6's and C6's in approximately equal numbers, so I could not find an answer that fit among your choices. OTOH, I have never flown either an A6 or an 18mm D... yet.

Mark \\.

C6, because I got a crapload of them for $1.00 a pack at Wal-Mart.

If you got 'em, burn 'em. :D

i'm really curious about everyone who flies anything less than a c in an 18mm motor mount. is it just to keep from loosing the rocket in a small field? to me b's are really pretty boring - i'm looking for max altitude on every flight. maybe i just build my rockets too heavy or i unconsciously favor kits that are heavier. i should start weighing my birds and see if i'm going overboard!

i'm curious about the d's on the list - what d comes in an 18mm size? and where can i get 18mm reloads?

C6, hands down. I burn quite a few B6 also, but C6's work well in just about anything BT50-BT60....which almost decribes my entire fleet!

i'm really curious about everyone who flies anything less than a c in an 18mm motor mount. is it just to keep from loosing the rocket in a small field? to me b's are really pretty boring - i'm looking for max altitude on every flight. maybe i just build my rockets too heavy or i unconsciously favor kits that are heavier. i should start weighing my birds and see if i'm going overboard!

i'm curious about the d's on the list - what d comes in an 18mm size? and where can i get 18mm reloads?

AT makes 18mm SU and reloads. You can get them at Hobbylinc for the cheapest, or so I could find so far.

i'm really curious about everyone who flies anything less than a c in an 18mm motor mount. is it just to keep from loosing the rocket in a small field?
Got it in one. Many of my models are approximate scale, almost all are scratch-built, so they all involve a lot of work. I want to give them the best chance of coming back but still achieving some sort of decent height. Also, the place where we usually fly is not exactly a small field, but does have long grass and very uneven ground; a rocket which goes up on a C and drifts a long way is very difficult to find again.
to me b's are really pretty boring - i'm looking for max altitude on every flight.
Whereas I'm not bothered about maximum altitude; if it's stable and gets high enough that you need to look up to see it, then the rocket is retrieved, it's a successful flight. I don't regard any rocket flight as boring, but maximum altitude flights on semi-expendable rockets are someone else's job. :)

I'd have thought B-6, but after reviewing my logs on EMRR, turns out C6 is tops by a large amount.

Got it in one. Many of my models are approximate scale, almost all are scratch-built, so they all involve a lot of work. I want to give them the best chance of coming back but still achieving some sort of decent height. Also, the place where we usually fly is not exactly a small field, but does have long grass and very uneven ground; a rocket which goes up on a C and drifts a long way is very difficult to find again.

makes sense.

Whereas I'm not bothered about maximum altitude; if it's stable and gets high enough that you need to look up to see it, then the rocket is retrieved, it's a successful flight. I don't regard any rocket flight as boring, but maximum altitude flights on semi-expendable rockets are someone else's job. :)

I guess that'd be me ... !

I chose B6, but only because the OOP C5-3 was not available.
In 18mm I still fly more C5-3 than anything else.
I fly 18mm RMS D24 almost as much as the B6, but not quite.

If you could see some of Adrian's scratch-builds, you'd appreciate why he wants them back.

C6 generally, but more B6 lately, on small paper rockets. And a certain English F motor, on large paper rockets.

Back