Pro38 Cato Pic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
Here is a picture I took shortly after a Pro38 blew the nozzle end out of the casing. I believe this was a 2 grain Smoky Sam. The ground fire is not as bad as it looks and was quickly put out.

Cato_Fire_Full_Res_Small.jpg

Well it IS a smoky motor.;)

Amazing photo BTW.

Jim Hendrickson told me at NERRF, "It either goes right, or it goes wrong, either way it is spectacular." Looks like that quote's never been wrong yet. :)

Here is a picture I took shortly after a Pro38 blew the nozzle end out of the casing.

You sure the person didn't forget to actually load the motor into the casing? I've seen people do that before. The unpack the CTI load and put it in their rocket without first loading it into the casing.

How does someone forget to put a motor in the casing? Wouldn't they notice diameter difference?

How does someone forget to put a motor in the casing? Wouldn't they notice diameter difference?

Due to how the CTI reloads fit in the casing, the reloads actually fit quite nicely in a 38mm mount without casing. Since the reload is one piece just-shove-in-the-casing style, many people have done what Chris mentions, especially new fliers to CTI.

I don't think this was an issue of not screwing the reload assembly into the metal casing as the rocket is undamaged.

If the user forgot to do that, that rocket would be ablaze on the pad. I've seen this happen a few times myself and every time the rocket burst into flames on the pad and burnt down to the forward CR.

This is a disturbing picture to see. I just bought a CTI 2 grain casing and I plan on using it.

-DAllen

This is a disturbing picture to see. I just bought a CTI 2 grain casing and I plan on using it.

-DAllen

This is the second CTI cato (where it was not the users fault) I have seen since Pro38's hit the market. First one was my L2 on a J285 (year 2002?) where the batch of motors was recalled and some vendors sold them anyway. Very reliable motors, lot less failure modes than the other threaded brand. Plus since the delay assembly is one piece, you wont see blowby failures like the other brands reloadable and disposable motor line. (unless someone drills the delay element beyound the recommended debt, but that would be user error)

This was a Level 1 attempt, so motor assembly was supervized by someone familiar with Pro 38 line. The rocket and casing was not harmed, and a second L1 attempt was made using a H400 load.

You would think, but I saw someone go for their L1 attempt who thought the package was good to go as is and didn't bother loading it into the casing. :surprised:

That's the first pic of a Cesaroni CATO I've seen. Which rocket had the SS motor loaded into it?

This is the first Pro38 CATO I have ever seen.
Quite a spectacular sight....

Made my L1 on a 2 Grain H143, but then lost the Space Ark on the next 2 grain H153 flight.
:cry:

Oh the BSD Horizon? Good thing it wasn't harmed, it's a shame they're OOP now.

Not yet. According to Scott someone most likely bought BSD, unless there is something I don't know about.

So what happened? The reload just blew out the aft end of the casing, leaving everything unscathed? Wow, I hope that guy went right out afterward and bought a lottery ticket! :lol:

Mark \\.

Awesome!

Definitely another contender for a "Super Cool Flight!"

Thanks for sharing.

Back