Camera Tripod Adapter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foose4string

Reaction score
I know using a camera tripod for a launch pad is nothing new, but i recently made a tripod adapter for relatively low cost and effort. Basically consists of two blocks of wood, a cold water ground clamp, 1/4-20 T-nut, and a few wood screws. I've seen several people use drill chucks, but I figured for only a dollar or two, this would work just as well. I used a 4 & 11/16ths blank electrical box cover for the deflector. I drilled a hole just part way through the adapter base to accept up to a 3/16" rod and stablize the bottom of the rod. Replaced the regular phillips head, 1/4-20 screw in the ground clamp with a thumb screw.

Through researching the forum I understand a camera tripod setup can be a little unstable in wind, and especially with tall rockets, so I'll weight or stake it down when conditions warrant.

Tripod adapter ground clamp.jpg

Tripod adapter side.jpg

tripod adapter t-nut.jpg

Launch pad tripod.jpg

I know using a camera tripod for a launch pad is nothing new, but i recently made a tripod adapter for relatively low cost and effort. Basically consists of two blocks of wood, a cold water ground clamp, 1/4-20 T-nut, and a few wood screws. I've seen several people use drill chucks, but I figured for only a dollar or two, this would work just as well. I used a 4 & 11/16ths blank electrical box cover for the deflector. I drilled a hole just part way through the adapter base to accept up to a 3/16" rod and stablize the bottom of the rod. Replaced the regular phillips head, 1/4-20 screw in the ground clamp with a thumb screw.

Through researching the forum I understand a camera tripod setup can be a little unstable in wind, and especially with tall rockets, so I'll weight or stake it down when conditions warrant.

Nice!

Cool, Craig.

I recently got a tripod for practically nothing at a garage sale, intending to use it as a launch pad. But I hadn't figured out the actual launch pad part yet, so thanks for this.

Cool, Craig.

I recently got a tripod for practically nothing at a garage sale, intending to use it as a launch pad. But I hadn't figured out the actual launch pad part yet, so thanks for this.

I was beating myself over the head with this, then saw the ground clamp and T-nuts while wondering through Home Depot. I started with a 1/4-20 all-thread coupler that was going to attach directly to the screw on the tripod. I was going to drill and tap a hole in the side of it to accommodate a thumb screw that would pinch the launch rod in place, but I busted my tap in the process. The ground clamp was cheap and fit the bill perfectly.

Inspired by this thread so I'm giving this a bump. Notice that I used 2 grounding clamps and wing screws, red oak, and steel corner brackets for extra strength for my 6 foot by quarter-inch rod.
pad adapter.jpg

Last edited:
Craig:
I've been using converted Tri-pod launchers for a very long time. You have done a very nice job but I don't see the need for all the wood construction.

Years ago I decided to covert one of my old video camera tripods to for LPR use. I needed something that would accept 1/8" or 3/16" Stainless Steel launch rods or 20mm rail with a 3/16" center pin.

The very simple answer is a 1/4-20" x 7/8" 304 Stainless Steel Rod coupling with an 8-32" x 1/2" Nylon Thumb Screw. This very simple attachment screws directly onto the standard 1/4-20" camera mounting stud on just about all tripods. Adding a 16ga 4" x 4" Stainless steel Deflector below the coupling completes the launcher allowing full Alt-Az adjustment for use in model up to 2lbs plus. As mentioned with larger models it is sometime necessary to stake down the legs.
OBTW once you make the original purchase of the Couplings and Thumb Screws, a 8-32 tap & HS drill bit these little adaptors cost about .94cents and take all of 18minutes to produce.

I use these adaptors all the time with micro to 24mm floating head pistons, sport and competition rockets and Nano, Micro and 20mm x 48" rails.
Hope this makes tripod conversions a little easier:)

View attachment Launch Rod Tripod Holder-Adaptor-zz01c_6pic pic Pg (pdf)_08-16-12.pdf

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-a1_St.Stl.25in x.875in RodCoupling_08-11-12.JPG

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-a2_8-32 Nylon Thb-Screw_08-11-12-.JPG

TripodLaunchRodAdaptor-c4_.1875inFloatheadPistonIn_08-16-12.JPG

MM403B~3.JPG

Last edited:
I've seen that approach with the rod couplings, 'Meister. There were a few things driving my approach though:

My tripod is a cheap piece of crud with a plastic head. I wanted more mating surface than the coupling offered to avoid breaking the mount.

I dont own a tap set or a drill press :) If i did i think i would have fabricated this out of a bar of brass.

Finally, i wanted a range of rod sizes all the way up to 1/4 with enough strength and stiffness for a 6-footer.

Otherwise, your way is definitely prettier.

Back