Hello...newbie here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroBama

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Jonathan. I'm new here. In fact, I'm fairly new to the hobby all together. I'm 42 years old and have always been a big fan of rockets since my boyhood when America was going to the Moon almost on a routine basis.

While looking for something to do earlier this year, I bought an RTF starter kit. And now I'm hooked! Since then, I've built three or four of the lower level kits.

I'm kinda learning as I go and feeling my way through. So, please be patient with me. I may be asking a lot of stupid questions in here. I hope I don't get on anybody's nerves.

I look forward to sharing ideas and hobby knowledge with you all.

Thanks!

Welcome to TRF! :wave:

I think you will find lots of valuable information here.

As a newbie myself, I can say this is a GREAT forum. Lot's of good information and everyone is really friendly and supportive! :D

:ciao:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said up there!

I'm 44 and was in your situation about a year ago. I've learned a lot around here and some of the people can even pass for sane.

Welcome aboard!

Hi Jonathon, glad you stopped in! Don't worry about asking alot of questions - there are a ton of people in here who have a vast wealth of information tucked away in their heads (and notebooks and log books, etc...). I'm on my 3rd time as a BAR and this is the most serious I've been with it my whole life.

Again, welcome and don't afraid of the forum members.....most of them don't bite.... :)

Rick

Hello! My name is Jonathan. I'm new here. In fact, I'm fairly new to the hobby all together. I'm 42 years old and have always been a big fan of rockets since my boyhood when America was going to the Moon almost on a routine basis.

Thanks!

Jonathan,

First thing to do is check out your local club, which in this case is Birmingham Rocket Boys https://www.birminghamrocketboys.com/ .
They fly most of the time from just off of I-65 on the way north out of Birmingham. Should be no more than an hour from Tuscaloosa. Other times they fly from near Talledega (as does another club that is more into high power, Phoenix Missile Works https://www.phoenixmissileworks.com ).

Go to https://www.soarrocketry.org/links.asp for a good collection of links to learn about the hobby (SoAR is the Atlanta club)

Welcome and feel free to ask questions :)
Cheers
fred

Hey welcome Jonathan!

It's always great to get another member here and to see someone else that's gotten 'hooked' on rocketry.

Hope you enjoy it here . . .

As Fred said, Welcome and Ask Away - there are no stupid questions (I won't guarantee the answers, however! ;)) Let us know what areas you are interested in - we can give you a lot of pointers and places on the net to look for plans, supplies and info. Also, don't forget the first rule here - post lots of pictures! :D

Welcome to TRF and welcome to rocketry :) You're going to love both!

Keep us posted on what you're up to and remember that we love pictures here.

Don't be shy, ask questions and share what YOU know as well :)

jim

Tons of useful information in the topmost "sticky thread". Be sure to read that thread and the links to valuable information provided.

The info is not just interesting, but it could help prevent mistakes and save you time and money and help you get a lot more milage from your rocketry $$$$.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=41082

While looking for something to do earlier this year, I bought an RTF starter kit. And now I'm hooked! Since then, I've built three or four of the lower level kits.

I'm kinda learning as I go and feeling my way through. So, please be patient with me. I may be asking a lot of stupid questions in here. I hope I don't get on anybody's nerves.

Thanks!
Welcome, Jonathan.

I first got into the hobby in 2004, at the age of 46. It's been great fun ever since, and I've even attended 2 national events (NARCON in 2006 and NARAM-50 this year), which allowed me to meet in person a lot of the great people that I'd already met online. RoyGreen, jflis, and shreadvector among them, from this thread alone!

TRF was one of the first web sites that I found, and along with YORF (https://forums.rocketshoppe.com), it's still the one that I visit most often.

Thanks!

Welcome to TRF Jonathan!
You'll find this one of the most helpful places on the internet! Hope you have as much fun with the hobby as I've had over the last 40+ years:)

I think checking The Rocketry Forum has become as addicting a hobby as actually building and launching rockets for me, these guys are great!

Welcome, Jonathan. I'm 43, so you're in good company.

Remember, there are no dumb questions (except for a couple I've managed to come up with now and then)!

Welcome aboard the Rocket Madness Express Jonathan!

First off, don't worry about not getting on anyone's nerves, it is inevitable.
Somewhere, sometime down the line SOMEONE will not like something you say.
But hey, they will get over it.

So please feel free to pummel us with lots of pictures, build threads and questions to your hearts desire.

OK Jonathan... Now its time for you to respond to folks and have your SECOND post!;)

It all starts with the RTFs. Then the rockets get bigger, the engines get bigger, the techniques get stronger, and before you know it, you're going to have a flotilla of rockets taking over every corner of your house!!! I love it!! And welcome to TRF!!!!!:D

Welcome aboard - I'm sure you'll love it here :D

I want to thank you folks for such a warm reception. I'm excited about becoming a member of such an active and enthusiastic group.

And as requested...I'm posting some photos. These are all first attempts at a couple of familiar favorites. I'm sure that before I die, I'll be revisiting these kits again and again...hopefully improving on each future version.

Thanks again!

LibertyBell7003.jpg

BullPup12D002.jpg

Hello Astro,

And welcome to our happy little asylum.

We've got quirky characters, tons of info, lots of
pictures and a few inevitable flame wars like any forum,
so it is guaranteed to be both an informational and entertaining
experience....

And extremely addicting:
'Hi, my name is Susan and I'm a rocketholic'....
:eek:

I want to thank you folks for such a warm reception. I'm excited about becoming a member of such an active and enthusiastic group.

And as requested...I'm posting some photos. These are all first attempts at a couple of familiar favorites. I'm sure that before I die, I'll be revisiting these kits again and again...hopefully improving on each future version.

Thanks again!

They look great :)
Cheers
fred

Welcome to model rocketry! (and the other kinds, too)

Now if you're going to be a "rocket head" like the rest of us idiots, you need to go to the Hobby Lobby website (right now), print a whole bunch of 40% off coupons, and spend the rest of the week driving around every HobLob in town buying rockets and motors on sale.

Report back here when you have completed this step?

(BTW, nice job on the models you posted---great work!)

Back