Estes Star Wars Collection Complete

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I have finished all the 1979 Star Wars models from Estes.
79est30.jpg

79est28.jpg

79est10.jpg

79est8.jpg

Scissorwingandtiefighter001-1.jpg

DSC_0081-1.jpg

Watch out or you will get sucked into the star wars universe. The Maxi-Brute X-Wing looks awesome.

Watch out or you will get sucked into the star wars universe. The Maxi-Brute X-Wing looks awesome.

I am only collecting the Star Wars models from the late 70's. I also have a small collection of late 70's Star Wars plastic models. Other than that I am done..................I will continue to build some of the simpler models for now then I might start on the Estes Star Trek collection from 79.

Wow... That was the year I started... I really miss that retro pricing!!!:rolleyes:

Well done on the rockets. Great pictures :) Makes me feel young looking at it :)
Cheers
fred

Those are frickin awesome!! Really liked the build thread too, thats one killer maxibrute!! :envy:

Nice...I can remember when I flew my R2 unit on a C6-3 motor...Prang! Looks much better as a static model, than a crash test dummy.

I love the work on the Maxi X-Wing, excellent job.

Johnnie

I am only collecting the Star Wars models from the late 70's. I also have a small collection of late 70's Star Wars plastic models. Other than that I am done..................I will continue to build some of the simpler models for now then I might start on the Estes Star Trek collection from 79.
That's a *really* nice collection, SCIGS30. They all look great.

I have a "Robot Hero" R2-D2 kit that I haven't started yet but plan to upgrade to 24 mm motors, and I had a T.I.E. fighter kit that I sold a year or two ago. I'd love to pick up an X-wing kit at some point, too.

1979 was the the year I started in rocketry. That was my first Estes catalog. I wore it out looking through it. I had the Xwing fighter. From my experience with Estes star wars models of yesterday and today (with my son); they all fly like crap. They are fun to build, but that's all. I do miss the rockets from that era. Remember that stuff called balsa wood? Cutting out fins, balsa nose cones, etc. I had a lot of rockets back then that sell for $100 on Ebay today. I sold all my LP stuff years ago. My kids do LP now, but I'm done with it. Good memories though. :)

1979 was a great year for Estes and model rocketry. I too remember my first Estes catalog with the Astrocam on the cover. I remember picking the catalog up at the local hobby/toy store. That is when Estes had a bunch of cool rockets at the display aisle.

Very cool !! I know it's from a later date, but have you considered adding the Death Star rocket to your Star Wars collection ? I always thought it was a totally weird rocket.

SS

As a die-hard Star Wars nerd, I wholeheartedly support your collection and wish to steal it while you sleep. :p

Very cool !! I know it's from a later date, but have you considered adding the Death Star rocket to your Star Wars collection ? I always thought it was a totally weird rocket.

SS
No, just the 1979.

One word: Beautiful...

I am wondering about the stand for the Proton Torpedo. Is that a launch stand? It looks as if there is a 12v battery attached.

One word: Beautiful...

I am wondering about the stand for the Proton Torpedo. Is that a launch stand? It looks as if there is a 12v battery attached.

It is a rocket launcher that came with the kit.....I guess it is Estes version of the Centuri Power Pad. It also came with my Colonial Viper kit, Star Trek rocket and Challenger I kit. It came in black, yellow and orange. I love these style of pads, and yes you can still buy batteries for them.

If you are going to fly the Maxi-X-Wing, I hope you plan to use something larger than the Estes suggested D12-3.
They don't fly worth a hoot on a D12-3.
Use any Aerotech RMS24 Reload other than the D9W and you will get a much better flight.
It flies nicely on the D15T and the E18W (a lot higher than the D12)
I have also flown one on an E28T and an F24W but have not been brave enough to use a F39T out of fear of a potential partial shred.

I printed out a "Proton Torpedo" sticker wrap onto some adhesive paper and used it on the launch-probe for my "Darth Vader's TIE Fighter." It actually worked out pretty good!
TIE_Proton.jpg

Scigs30:
Outstanding work as always. Wow what a wonderful collections! Could never find the T.I.E. Fighter but always wanted one to go with X-wing. Still have my orginal maxi-X wing fighter & R2D2 for back then. Someday hope to cluster the Maxi X-Wing so it gets more then 50feet on a single D12:)

Last edited:
Today it seems remarkable that he was able to get the entire collection together. But remember, when this thread was started, it was much closer to 1979.

These are all still available on FeeBay, you just have to fight off all the fifty and fortysomething kids with more cash!
May the Bidding be with you!

I just won a later triple set on the 'bay...Death Star, R2-D2 and Darth Vader's Tie Fighter. Plan on modifying the Death star so that the fins look like an X-Wing making an attack run at it. :) I have a used later model R2-D2 (all plastic) that I've been launching lately...I'm a sucker for the old cool stuff. I also have a few of the 70's R2s and may convert one to "Chopper" from the animated Disney series so I can see the younger kids' reactions at club launches.

BTW - sorry to keep the zombie thread going, but I'm new, so there. :kill:

Guys what do those x-wings fly like? Do they fly well?

Not terrible. I got an original for my birthday the year they came out and never managed to fly it. A couple of years ago I won an Ebay auction for a pre-built original that was advertised as a " vintage 1970's fighter jet model rocket" that was missing one of its "orange pincers". Yeah it was an X-Wing with a non-stock paint job. It also needed a couple of the small fins that mount on the exhausts replaced, and I eventually got around to it. I took it to NARAM in 2013 and managed to fly it once on a C6-3. The flight was fine, the recovery less so. The chute fouled in one of the "pincers" and it did a free fall from 300' or so. I lost a couple of the small fins again. I should get another chance to fly it this year. Max altitude is well below the trouble zone for B6-4 Field.

On pad glamour shot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyum/9380775904/in/set-72157634815618899

Lift-off.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyum/9378050885/in/set-72157634815618899

Not terrible. I got an original for my birthday the year they came out and never managed to fly it. A couple of years ago I won an Ebay auction for a pre-built original that was advertised as a " vintage 1970's fighter jet model rocket" that was missing one of its "orange pincers". Yeah it was an X-Wing with a non-stock paint job. It also needed a couple of the small fins that mount on the exhausts replaced, and I eventually got around to it. I took it to NARAM in 2013 and managed to fly it once on a C6-3. The flight was fine, the recovery less so. The chute fouled in one of the "pincers" and it did a free fall from 300' or so. I lost a couple of the small fins again. I should get another chance to fly it this year. Max altitude is well below the trouble zone for B6-4 Field.

On pad glamour shot.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyum/9380775904/in/set-72157634815618899

Lift-off.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/wallyum/9378050885/in/set-72157634815618899

Would you say it flies stable enough that you would be able to bulls-eye a womp rat?

Latest posts

Back