Motor retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caynnor

Reaction score
I'm trying to decided which of the Aero Pack motor retainers would be best for a 4" 54mm rocket, the sleeve or flange mount. I'll take any help I can get, thanks.

depends on the relationship of the aft centering ring and the motor mount tube. If the aft ring is flush with the tube, go with the flange. If the tube extends past the aft ring at least 0.5" then go with the sleeve. If you can decide...I'd go with the flange because I like the attachment better than the sleeve and I cut the aft ring slightly larger than the hole and step it so that all the motor force is transferred to the body tube at the ring and not at the glue joints between the rings and the body tube.

-Aaron

I think a 98-75 conical Aero Pack tailcone would be best ;)
Something like the TRA7539PB

If you must stick with just a 54mm motor, get the TRA5439PB -- looks hot!

I've used the sleeve version on all my 4" x 54mm rockets. In addition to the recommended applicaton of JB Weld, I put a thick fillet of the JB weld on the rear CR where the retainer abuts against it.

I agree with Freda that the tailcone retainer is cool. I used a 54mm tail cone retainer on my 3" Thor and it sets it apart from the other Thors out there. Very nifty, but you need to plan the mounting ahead of time due to how the system works. IOW, it might not properly work on an already assembled MMT.

I use the sleeve on all my 54mm projects.

I just use 5 minute epoxy. Never had a problem.

Flange when you can. If you total the rocket, at least the retainer will likely be reusable. I'm putting the 54mm flange mount on my 3" Competitor.

Ken

Flange when you can. If you total the rocket, at least the retainer will likely be reusable. I'm putting the 54mm flange mount on my 3" Competitor.

Ken

Sleeve versions are reusable as well. Just takes a bit more work to scrape out the epoxy / cardboard.

Sleeve versions are reusable as well. Just takes a bit more work to scrape out the epoxy / cardboard.

YUP...done it a few times. A high temp heat gun does wonders...thanks to a friend who has one and does the removal for me :)

Back