Night flying light sources - LED Finger Light

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Gassaway

Reaction score
The NAR section I belong to, Birmingham Rocket Boys, is planning our first night launch next month.

We talked about ideas at the monthly meeting yesterday, which prompted me to do a test last night, using an LED “Finger Light”.

I’ve uploaded a video showing the LED Finger Light and how well it lights up an unpainted Estes long BT-60 nose cone:

https://homepage.mac.com/georgegassaway/LED_Nose_Cone.mov

For those of you who have a slow connection, attached are some pics. But this video is only 1.3 megs so it would be worth the wait for the download.

I only taped the light in place for the test, after making a 1/2" hole in the nose cone base. This is not a permanent fix for flying, the light would need to be securely attached, perhaps inside the nose, in a way that would not let it fall out easily but would allow turning it on and off.

Another interesting prospect will be to use a length of clear tubing (the type that protects fluorescent tubes, about the diameter of BT-60), mount some tracing paper or thin paper inside of the tube, and let the LED finger light shine up inside of that. For a 48” long tube, it might look like a bit like a “Light Saber”.

For more info on obtaining the Finger Lights, Google the keywords: led finger light

The black strap is a Velcro strap that allows strapping the light to a finger.

The most practical thing might be for someone to buy some on eBay like 12 to 20, at a good per-light price, and sell them to club members. Otherwise, the only times I've found these for sale in stores was either at one local Wal-Mart “10 items or less (and cigarettes)” Check-out line, and at a dimestore type store last fall among their Halloween items. At a price of about $2.00 each.

- George Gassaway

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1936.jpg

if you are going to be doing night flying you also need to have some sort of flashing light too.

>>>>>
if you are going to be doing night flying you also need to have some sort of flashing light too.
<<<<<

I guess you didn't look at the movie link:

Several, not all, but several of the LED finger lights have a pushbutton to turn them on: 1st press fast blink, 2nd press slow blink, 3rd press on constantly, 4th press off.

- George Gassaway

Wow. I saw some of those at my local grocery store a couple of weeks ago and wondered if they would work well for night launchs.

Hmm I guess I'd better go pick up a couple after work. :eek:

I've never done a night launch. Why do you *need* a flashing light?

>>>>>
<<<<<

I guess you didn't look at the movie link:

Several, not all, but several of the LED finger lights have a pushbutton to turn them on: 1st press fast blink, 2nd press slow blink, 3rd press on constantly, 4th press off.

- George Gassaway

Nope, Wouldn't open here at work

Latest posts

Back