WILDMAN/CRAZY JIM Flying circus launching 27ft "MEGA" DarkStar at LDRS....."O" my!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was/is a heck of a build/rocket.......we have been toying with flying it as a 2-stage.

O-something & 3- 2045 V-max to a P.

Both sustainer & Booster are done, just have to go fly the darn thing. Pad is the ringer...in this configuration it's 32ft. tall.

It was/is a heck of a build/rocket.......we have been toying with flying it as a 2-stage.

O-something & 3- 2045 V-max to a P.

Both sustainer & Booster are done, just have to go fly the darn thing. Pad is the ringer...in this configuration it's 32ft. tall.

Jim, when I did the sims for Tim on this, I gave him a Rocksim for he two stage confit. Not at Tim's request mind you. I cannot remember if it was the P8000 in the booster or second stage off the top of my head.

Jim, when I did the sims for Tim on this, I gave him a Rocksim for he two stage confit. Not at Tim's request mind you. I cannot remember if it was the P8000 in the booster or second stage off the top of my head.

P-8000 in the sustainer...only way the 2 fin cans will fit together.
Do you recall the altitude & speeds?

If you have that file...I would love to see it.
Maybe we can light a fire under Tim!

Anybody else want to see this monster 2-stage fly?

I clicked thread figuring the 8" BS version , Still wondering who bought and building , wasn't me I was short on cabbage

12" wow

P-8000 in the sustainer...only way the 2 fin cans will fit together.
Do you recall the altitude & speeds?

If you have that file...I would love to see it.
Maybe we can light a fire under Tim!

Anybody else want to see this monster 2-stage fly?

Jim, I am pretty sure I have hue file on my system at home. Will check when I get home.

Pad is the ringer...in this configuration it's 32ft. tall.

I still have the trailer this thing was originally supposed to fly off of, all it needs is a new tower; which can be had for a couple hundred bucks, and it's ready to go. Now, if we can only convince Tim to knock the dust off that thing and we can fly it. What do you say Jim, AIRfest 2016 project?

Manny

Gents, found the file, and tweaked a little. Over 400 pounds, and way tall. Not adjusted for optimal delay between stages so a bit rough.

4 motor cluster in first stage 3 CTI K2045 Vmax and an O8000. No sparkies as it will not have enough oomph.

CTI P8000 in sustainer

Altitude a little over 25000', and max velocity of about 1300 ft/sec

This needs to happen. Needs 20+ feet of tower in my opinion. Needs staging inhibit for sure. Needs to make sure all motors hit on the ground- not an inadvertent airstart after the K motors burnout.

File attached.

View attachment MegaDarkstar2stage.rkt

Two stage never flew.

It flew twice I think. Once in the 4 K2045 and O3600 sparky, and another time on the CTI P8000.

It flew 3x....

LDRS Lucerne California 3 54mm V-max & 1 O-sparky
Thunderstruck Indiana 1 P-8000
Red Glare Maryland 1 O something [ white thunder?]

Never made 2 stage fly.... sitting in W/M garage.

Like it was said, would take a very tall tower to be compatible with a safe launch of a two stager so I can appreciate the fact that they might have lost interest. Kurt

Like it was said, would take a very tall tower to be compatible with a safe launch of a two stager so I can appreciate the fact that they might have lost interest. Kurt

Picture the cost. P8000, O8000, and three 54mm K motors. Then think about the write up for the Class 3 waiver. It is a lot of work and expense. I have no doubt it is doable, but after a point why do it?

After 9 yrs, I can NEITHER confirm nor DENY:

it seems my good buddy Eric, has let the cat out of the bag.[oh the shame, the shame]
the team is back with many more members.
there is a booster and a sustainer and they DO fit together perfectly.
Someone is brewing up a secret formula for a VERY large booster motor
there is a P-8000 STASHED in Area-51 awaiting pick up and delivery to an UNKNOWN assembly warehouse.
men in black suits abound everywhere.

I may have an altimeter bay in the works for the booster.

Only time will tell....................if i take the gag off.lol

The first flight relived, imagine another stage breathing even more fire and brimstone, engines screaming like tearing steel..THAT " will be, what will be, if it is to be!"

27ft tall 375 lbs on pad waiting to tear a hole in the sky ONLY 2X 'mo better with an added stage!

OF course this is all "ALLEGEDLY" at the moment...right team.LOL

I WOULD HIGHLY ADVISE ANY READERS NOT AWARE OF THE MAGNITUDE OF THIS PROJECT, GO BACK AND START AT THE BEGINNING OF THIS HIGHLY ENTERTAINING THREAD!!
WE BUILT THIS IN 3 WEEKS.

Let the "likes" begin in flowing bountiful numbers..lol

Last edited:
Man I wish I could be there... Best of luck with this 2-stage behemoth!

Subscribed and waiting on new posts with much anticipation.

I don't get there until Friday, PLEASE don't fly it on Thursday. Please, pretty please. I'll beg, I'm not above it.

We are definitely working on putting a team together to fly this beast in the 2 stage configuration at LDRS in Argonia this year.

Are you going to rent a semi truck to move all the parts for the rocket? :)

Back