MM Atomic Delta-Wing Bomber build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A couple years back I started a drawing from an old LIFE magazine article photo from the 50's, I found in the Attic of my parents Garage.
I think I started this drawing in November of 2006? finished it and set the parts aside waiting for a spirit to move me to set-up the Lathe to turn the 3/8" dia x 4" long very thin tapered nose cone.
As happens....more often lately:( other drawing were Piled atop the Atomic delta bomber and promptly forgotten about. I was under the impression I had already uploaded the drawing to the Micro-Maxx Rockets group, so wasn't pressed about even looking at it much.
Last weekend I had a group of about 18 cones to turn and looking thur the stack this one came out shouted HEY!

Anyway after doing the dozen or so Nano-Dot cones I loaded up a blank basswood block and ended up with a Nose cone to work with.
The remainder of the model was a very quick build, except that darn tiny paper canopy. but the Atomic Delta Bomber is No longer just a drawing.. it's actually a primed Micro model:lol:
I took a few construction pic but haven't Downloaded them out of the camera yet so they'll be coming up in the next post or two.
Overall the T3 bodied model ended up at 8.375" long with a wing span of 3.375"
Can't wait to get it sanded and finished.
Heres a very condensed look at the one page plan. a much better PDF is in the files section of the MicroMaxRockets Yahoo group, If you'd like to build one.
More construction pics a little later.

MM 347b-sm_Atomic Delta Bomber (68dpi)_07-04-08.jpg

I like it!
I wonder if I could turn a nose cone like that. I've turned a few micro nose cones out foam but this one would need a bit more finesse.

That looks a great model. Looking forward to the finished photos. And yes, an upsclae would look brilliant!

Thanks guys
It's been a fun micro build, As for the BT-80 version, well lets just say it'll be on the back burner til l've finished messing with Micros:lol: At BT-80 it'd be about a 58" long model with about a 27.75" tapered Nocecone. Not all that bad if someone wanted to Upscale it;)
Here are a few of the build Pics. Got 3 coats of grey primer on it last night, sanding should start soon.

Wayne:
don't know about foam but basswood turned out well. I think the key was having the blank supported at both ends, and removing material slowly. I don't think I'd try this one with a drill press or plate mounted turning.

View attachment MM 347p01-sm_Atomic Bomber 1pg Plan & wings_06-30-08.JPG

View attachment MM 347p02-sm_T3 Body, Nose & Tail assembly_07-01-08.JPG

View attachment MM 347p03-sm_Wings attached_07-02-08.JPG

View attachment MM 347p04-sm_Tiny paper Canopy fitted & glued_07-03-08.JPG

MM 347p05-sm_Engine nozzles attached_07-04-08.JPG

WOW that looks nice.:D

That long nose cone makes it look very nice. Very aircraft looking.
Getting the right "look" can be difficult...... trust me.
Mine (18mm powered) is much more rocket looking.

Another Sweeeet micro!

That should be made into a kit. That would be one heck of an intro to the Micro world.

Jack

A KIT! :lol:
My names Not Rockitflite! I just don't have the patients or talent to do kits like many of our cottege vendors.

To do a decent Atomic Delta-wing Bomber kit, I'd have to find a way to reproduce the Nosecone some other way. Turing a bunch of these things in Basswood would take forever!... Possibly hollow resin Casting or maybe some kind of sectional molded styrene...I'm just not sure.
Perhaps when I stop flying models I'll look at trying to produce a kit or two:)
For now I'm Happy to share the Drawings and Plans for others to create their own model if they choose.

Back to Model Progress:
Last night I got around to starting the sanding process, but also had other models and duties to contend with, so I didn't get very far. Looks like I got most of the Wood grain and just about all the bodytube seams filled with this first 3 coat application.

More sanding and rescribing lines.

I wanted to base coat in Gloss white to see how badly I screwed up an elevator line that got inadvertanly doubled.
then thought hey I'll 2 tone the Delta wing? I didn't want to spend a lot of time masking so I just used a little strip of Frog tape along the main body. Went with a Light blue Krylon which turned out to be a good bit lighter then I remembered, but what the heck.
Decals were printed and overcoated with Krylon 1305 UV resistant clear while I was waiting for the light blue to dry.
Still needs it's Streamer, polishing and NU-Finish on the decals but did get to do a Swing Test and looks like no additional nose weight will be required.

View attachment MM 347p07a-sm_Atomic Bomber Primed_07-09-08.JPG

View attachment MM 347p07b-sm_Atomic Bomber undeside_07-09-08.JPG

View attachment MM 347p09a-sm_Atomic Bomber 2-tone White bottom_07-12-08.JPG

View attachment MM 347p09b-sm_Atomic Bomber Top light Blue_07-12-08.JPG

View attachment MM 347p10b-sm_Atomic Deltawing Bomber Complete_07-13-08.JPG

Great job John :) Whats the plan for the final paint scheme?
Cheers
fred

Maybe some additional Darker blue "filler lines" and something on the canopy. that'll be about it....The better 2/3rd really likes the "baby blue"..

Shoot! She was trying to get me to repaint the bottom to create one of those "Baby skys" we see every once in a while as the sun sets.
You know what I'm talkin about "PINK" with the blue above...LOL!!! no I couldn't do it:D:D:D:D

Fred:
a small update: I did add a couple tiny dashs of black to the canopy and some fluor. Red and jet exhaust color to the engine cowels.
That's how it's gonna go for now, I'll try to get a close pic of it at the launch Saturday.
I really can't wait to see this one fly!

Fred:
a small update: I did add a couple tiny dashs of black to the canopy and some fluor. Red and jet exhaust color to the engine cowels.
That's how it's gonna go for now, I'll try to get a close pic of it at the launch Saturday.
I really can't wait to see this one fly!

I dont blame you it looks great :)
Cheers
fred

Well done John :) Great looking bird :) I think you might consider doing some more 50's scifi stuff as it looks great.
Cheers
fred

Back