Fully Flared - (almost) Fully Fiberglass Four Inch Mad Dog

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidsheeep

Reaction score
I just checked my first build thread, it's been two years since I first got this kit. Eeesh.

Anyway, I'm finally finishing it up! Hoping to do my level two on it.

The name and soon to be paint job are modeled after the recent Lakai skateboard film, Fully Flared.

fullyflareddvd.jpg

Here's a link to the film's introduction, it's got a lot in common with an average rocket flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VGbAOOEego

Anyway, time for pictures.

001-6.jpg

Two coats of primer & sanding down.

002-7.jpg

The fillets are nowhere near as perfect as I'd like to pretend they are. Hopefully they'll smooth out with the next 8 layers or so of paint.

003-6.jpg

I say almost fully fiberglass because I misplaced the last CR sometime over the last two years, so I replaced it with a plywood one.

004-6.jpg

Shotty priming job, tye dye dylan shirt, messy hair, dirty shorts, socks that don't match... that about covers it. Now try and make fun of this one.

005-4.jpg

Shot of the newly re-organized then made messy basement workshop. Those big rockets in the back are Gene Costanza's.

006-4.jpg

Aeropack installed

007-3.jpg

E-bay holes drilled.

Question: Using the (L)(W)(.006)=Hole Size formula, I got one hole being about 1/4", spread to 3 holes would be 1/12th". This seemed too small, giving my last 3" E bay had 1/8th inch holes, so I upped these to 1/8th inch too.

The bay is 11" long x 4"... So how big do you suggest the holes be?

The 1/2" hole is for twisting wires, I'll cover that up with some tape after the electronics are armed.

More to come once stuff dries.

I think 1/8" will serve you fine..And that big 1/4" hole wil contribute too-even taped up..Looking good..

Now, go comb your hair! :rotflol:

Talked to Bobby from Hangar 11 today. It's gonna fly on a Loki J525 up to about 5000' if I can keep the weight down.

Recovery will be with an RRC2, probably drogueless apogee and a TAC 1 main chute at around 800'.

Finished 2 out of 4 sides of the paint, pictures soon to come.

lalala excited.

005-4.jpg

Shot of the newly re-organized then made messy basement workshop. Those big rockets in the back are Gene Costanza's.

Dude I hope your charging Costanza rent in your basement. :pirate:

Nice build, looks like a good rocket, whats it got for a MMT

It's a 54mm mount. Weather was too iffy to paint today so I couldn't finish the other two sides. I guess I could get a USC decal and call it quits here :D

maddogpaintedsides.jpg

I ended up using Rusto paint, mostly cause it was the only thing the store willing to sell to 18 year olds had in stock.

I'm beginning to doubt my color choices slightly, the maroon really should be a vibrant pink and the blue is way off too... anyway.

md-001.jpg

Painted the last side.

md-002.jpg

Decided to go the masking-off route rather than the stencil route for the checkers.

md-003.jpg

Halfway to about a quarter of the way there!

Yeap. I realize now they're a bit overkill. I think after I pick a side to put the logo, I'll take the 3rd side that's left open and put on some standard rail guides too.

md-004.jpg

Got the upper tube finished!

Whats a good way to clean off a painted but not clear-coated rocket? I wanna get rid of some pencil marks and fingerprints before I seal them down forever.

Very nice on the checkering. :congrats:
One might say impressive.

Kind of gives me an idea for a paint job too.

I had hoped that my next reply would have been the finished airframe, painted and all, but somehow in the 4 hours it took me to mask off the aft end the weather shifted from sunny and humid to raining and more humid.

maddog-aft-taped.jpg

wholy macarolly, how many rolls of masking tape did you need? :O

In total so far 5.

This is a good feeling...

maddog-almostdonecopy.jpg

Cant decide if I want to stencil the logo or get a vinyl decal made. That all depends on whether or not I can get a high enough resolution image of it.

I might want to do something different with the Nosecone, most likely not though.

Got the recovery stuff organized yesterday, so everythings good to go.

That looks great! How long did take you to mask it? Must've been a real pain.

That looks great! How long did take you to mask it? Must've been a real pain.

Today was the 3rd working on the checkers, so probably around 12 hours total

edit:

Dear God I shouldn't have stopped taking math classes. I meant to say 9

Seriously Kewl paint job! :cool:

I would love to have the patience to be able to achieve that level of finish

Go the Vinyl decal I say!

In total so far 5.

This is a good feeling...

maddog-almostdonecopy.jpg

Cant decide if I want to stencil the logo or get a vinyl decal made. That all depends on whether or not I can get a high enough resolution image of it.

I might want to do something different with the Nosecone, most likely not though.

Got the recovery stuff organized yesterday, so everythings good to go.

WOW!! NICE!!! I like it!! :surprised::cool::D

It took you 9 hours just to mask?! I would've been going crazy by the third hour....

So, how'd it go?

By the way, Steve Heller is looking for your contact info so he can give you your thrust ring back.

The flight up was perfect up to 3245', the nosecone wiggled off a little early so I'm gonna add some shear pins for the next flight. It landed on the other side of the river, everything intact... and no scratches on the paint job!

Thanks for the washer and the help btw, I'll email Steve or get in touch with him some how

Awesome good to hear. We were glad to help, actually Todd and I felt bad that we were kinda joking about the motor. We didnt want to scare you, I know that kind of thing can be intimidating at first and we probably didnt help in that respect lol.

Good work.

Haha don't worry about it. Worse comes to worse, things just blow up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kt3gVnpkU7k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kt3gVnpkU7k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

My dad was filming, he did a pretty good job for his first time tracking rockets.

And my L1 flight too...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/YhnTvh2oCBM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/YhnTvh2oCBM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thats a big rocket for a l1. **** nice paint job. I couldnt do that myself.

Congats on L1. NOW OPEN YOUR WALLET!

Back