Duplicolor primer over Rustoleum primer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockhiittman

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Duplicolor hi-build primer over Rustoleum automotive primer with success?

not really an answer,but i use the el-cheapo Walmart brand,works great.usually around 1$ a can

Depending on what kind of primer the Rustoleum is, you could have problems. DupliColor is a lacquer and you will normally have problems (crazing) if you put a lacquer over an enamel.

-Aaron

I emailed Rustoleum a while back about putting Dupli-color paint over their primer. They said it was OK as long as I let the primer dry for a really long time (I think it was at least two weeks) and used ight coats of Dupli-color. Since I wanted the paint to be as glossy as possible and I didn't want any problems, I used Krylon primer as a buffer layer since I could spray it in really really light coats. Since you are just using primer, you will probably be OK if you wait a while (I doubt two weeks is necessary) and use light coats of primer.

Enamel over laquer is OK, the reverse might be problematic, unless...

If you let any primer or paint -dry- long enough it can be sprayed with your choice of top-coat, regardless of whether it's lacquer or enamel. I use the sniff method...if I can 'smell' the paint, then it isn't cured. Lacquers cure quickly while enamels take much more time...

That said, I have top-coated enamels the next day with automotive 2-part polyurethane clear. It will cover anything without issues and leave a finish that's beautiful without -any- smell.

I used a fast dry automotive metallic 2 part over walmart primer,with just about an hour wait. Worked fine.

Would acrylic paint work over a light coat of Rustoleum primer? This actuallly isn't a rocket but another type of model and we already have Rustoleum on hand.

The Duplicolor hi-build primer is all I use as a primer now. Love the stuff!

I recently repainted a rocket. I sanded the original paint with 220 and 400. IIRC the original was Krylon primer and the $0.98 per can Walmart special.

The Duplicolor hi-build primer went on with no problems and I then used Duplicolor Metalcast over that. It turned out great.

Would acrylic paint work over a light coat of Rustoleum primer? This actuallly isn't a rocket but another type of model and we already have Rustoleum on hand.

Yes! You can put acrylic paint over just about anything. Make sure the primer is dry. I've used Rustoleum primer on big plastic models and top with Tamyia acrylics with no problems. In fact, I've used just about every type and brand in combination and had little problems. The biggest problems have mostly come from auto primers crazing the plastic. Variprime is an awesome product, but you have to put it on light. The key to all of this is to make sure the base is dry!!!!!
v/r
Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I used the Michael's 50% off coupon and got a set of Testor's Acrylics and it's working over Rustoleum just fine. He's taking your suggestion to let it dry well.

Apprecitate the guidance.

Back