L2 build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjl

Reaction score
Well, OK, maybe it's not your average level 2 rocket:

That would be correct, and yes, that is an Aeropack tailcone retainer :D

That would be correct, and yes, that is an Aeropack tailcone retainer :D

I am going to say, AMRAAM with boat tail and correct size and placement of forward fins. Flying on an Aerotech L motor? How close am I :rotflol:

Ben

Nice. This things gonna be big.

But can't you just use your Black Brandt for your L2? I thought it already flew on a K550 under your dad's L2, so it wouldn't be that much harder for your L2 cert.

Correct (AIM-120C actually) :)

JJ: I could, but that would be boring, now wouldn't it?

Besides, it's a good excuse to make another rocket and fly my first L motor :cool:
(Currently planned is the CTI Pro75 L2375 White Thunder)

ah man I knew you were going for broke using an L motor. That thing is going to HAUL!! and L3 is full scale correct?

Ben

No specific plans yet, though that is one idea I have had in mind.

(Oh, and check out the liftoff thrust on that L motor :eek: )

That effect in the first pic is pretty much what I'm going for :D

Nah, though an Everclear M would be alright. The White Thunder L should be pretty close though - I've seen a couple of K WT loads that had amazing mach diamonds.

True, that would be pretty boring. A cert flight that looks like the first picture MaxQ posted...well that would be awesome.

OK, I've let the thread somewhat die (oops), but the build is definitely progessing along. Fins are in the middle of getting T2T, canards are about ready to be attached, and the MMT is fully mounted. Pics to come tomorrow.

See, this is what happens when I have a summer job :eek:

Careful with that dishwasher in the background... Ours looks like this now.

Looking forward to launch pics of that L2375!

Phil

Uh oh...I think we've got another CTulanko on our hands...lol Great googly moogly, that thing is gonna move!

Uh oh...I think we've got another CTulanko on our hands...lol Great googly moogly, that thing is gonna move!

That's the idea :D

Mach 1.15 and 14k is the current estimate.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what's your summer job?

I just finished my last day actually - I was an intern at Seagate. I enjoyed it a heck of a lot too, but it took a ton of time.

Oh, and Wik: dare I ask what happened to that dishwasher?

You're doing your L2 at O'fest? You got caught up quick!

I hope you are flying Saturday, as I can't get up there until late Friday, and I want to see that thing go. Well, maybe I won't actually SEE it, but hear it vanish.:surprised:

Ken

It'll go up Saturday, though I'll be prepping it on Friday, so it'll go up quite early.

32 pounds?! Jeez. My 6" rocket, 9 feet tall weighed 38 loaded with an R14, dual electronics, fiberglassed all around, 1/2 ply everywhere, G10 fins, and a 76-6000 motor.

My 4" Competitor 4, all fiberglass, dual electronics with a 76-3500 weighed approximately 20 pounds.

That thing needs to go on a diet.

The nose weighs 10. So, if you remove that, it's about the same weight as your Competitor (and that's with a 10lb 75mm/4g loaded). The problem is those darned canards. Because of them, I had to load 9lbs of lead into the nose yesterday.

Back