Zeppelin Mothership

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
Wife picked up Led Zeppelins CD "Mothership". Thought I might try and make one(Zeppelin) Id paint it black and orange like picture. Can it be done? Scotty Dog

LedZeppelinMothership.jpg

Last edited:
I went to a site one time that had model Zeppelins' in kits. Huge with balsa frames...can't remember where I saw it :p

At one time a kit maker (Testors?) had a vac-formed Graf Zeppelin, This was like 35 years ago or so. I don't think I even completed it. IIRC it was about 3 feet long.

Greg

A build with pink or blue foam wouldn't take long. As for stability, the fins look a little small. Perhaps larger polycarbonate fins with the smaller fins painted or decaled on would do the trick.

John

Im a big Zeppelin fan and never heard of a cd called MotherShip but I have thought of building a submarine or Zeppelin rocket. Maybe a pmc of a submarine could work for you.
Good luck
CornyL

At one time a kit maker (Testors?) had a vac-formed Graf Zeppelin, This was like 35 years ago or so. I don't think I even completed it. IIRC it was about 3 feet long.

Greg
It would be awesome to have that and place Mothership on it. :D

I'm a huge Zeppelin fan. And yes, II and IV were superior.

I think it would be a cool addition to the fleet. I have lots of opptions on what to use for air frame. Maybe 2 NC back to back? What I would like to make it out of is balsa framing around BT.Like building a fuselage for a plane, and have BT run down center.. Then cover it with card stock? That way I could get the ribbed shape in it. Would the fins have to extend out past the fattest part of air frame? Then of course there is a functionial NC/chute thingy. Scotty Dog

Im a big Zeppelin fan and never heard of a cd called MotherShip but I have thought of building a submarine or Zeppelin rocket. Maybe a pmc of a submarine could work for you.
Good luck
CornyL
Does that stand for "Plastic -Model-?" Honest, I really dont know. Scotty Dog

A build with pink or blue foam wouldn't take long. As for stability, the fins look a little small. Perhaps larger polycarbonate fins with the smaller fins painted or decaled on would do the trick.

John
Thats a great idea. Could do a proto in foam and test for stability.What do you use over the foam for painting? Any time I painted foam in the past-MELTDOWN. Clear fins with painted on smaller fins-that will work too.
Thanks Scotty Dog

Does that stand for "Plastic -Model-?" Honest, I really dont know. Scotty Dog

PMC = Plastic Model Conversion. The process whereby an overly optimistic rocketeer enthusiasticly takes a non-flying model kit, typically made of polystyrene, and adds a launch lug, motor mount and recovery device. PMCs have the potential to "raise the eyebrow" of the LCO/RSO when presented.

Greg

Shouldn't this be in the Plans section, as nothing is actually being scratch built?

Shouldn't this be in the Plans section, as nothing is actually being scratch built?
I guess I could plan
on putting this thread in the plan section. Now thats a plan. Then I would plan on moving the thread to Scratch Built section after we got it planned out.Then I would plan on building it based on the plans we planned out in the plan section. Now,thats also a plan. Scotty Dog

Last edited:
PMC = Plastic Model Conversion. The process whereby an overly optimistic rocketeer enthusiasticly takes a non-flying model kit, typically made of polystyrene, and adds a launch lug, motor mount and recovery device. PMCs have the potential to "raise the eyebrow" of the LCO/RSO when presented.

Greg
Thanks-seems I may have done a pmc once or twice when I was a youngen. I remember a battle ship with a motor on it. Boy, my Mom was some mad when I lit that off in the bathtub-:D:D Scotty Dog

I guess I could plan
on putting this thread in the plan section. Now thats a plan. Then I would plan on moving the thread to Scratch Built section after we got it planned out.Then I would plan on building it based on the plans we planned out in the plan section. Now,thats also a plan. Scotty Dog

:marshmallow: Don't plan yourself into a corner.

Mothership is a Led Zeppelin greatest hist album, similar to previously released boxed sets; its songs span the Zeppelin catalog. I think, it shouldn't be compared to albums of original Zeppelin material.

Led Zeppelin took their named from a Keith Moon quote that the band "would go over like a lead balloon." Led Zeppelin used a picture of the Hindenburg in flames on their first album.

Good luck making a zeppelin.

Thats a great idea. Could do a proto in foam and test for stability.What do you use over the foam for painting? Any time I painted foam in the past-MELTDOWN. Clear fins with painted on smaller fins-that will work too.
Thanks Scotty Dog

Ya have to seal the foam off with a foam safe paint first, and go easy with the final topcoats of whatever ISN'T foam safe...

Later! OL JR :)

Thanks. Interesting link.When I first posted this I said "Can it be done?" I should have said-"I bet its been done" Hard to find,get,come up with, an original idea or something that has not been done. The "Absolute Zero" I built is one (at least that I am aware of) I have not seen done. Lots of talk about it ,but havent seen a link to one thats been built and flown. Scotty Dog

I thought about this build today and got some good tips, links ect on it. Thanks .:cheers: So I came up with part of the plan. Use the foam and incluse frame work. I carved a basic shape out of foam. Then I scratched some lines in it and use bt tube with sandpaper around it to sand in grooves. REAL ROUGH!. So I came up with this idea.. Cut out Bulkhead and rips out of card stock. I then took back of hack saw blade grooved the foam so bulkhead and rips set in it. Covered with paper towel and painted it. In the real build I will use airplane tissue paper. If I groove out the foam enough the paper will not be touching foam. This is good.Cuzzzz then I can dope the paper like when doing a plane. It will give it nice sharp lines, look more realistic and actualy be fairly easy. Scotty Dog .PS Im thinking at least a 4" girth . Scale the "Burg" to some point.

MS.JPG

MS1.JPG

MS2.JPG

MS3.JPG

MS4.JPG

Mothership is a Led Zeppelin greatest hist album, similar to previously released boxed sets; its songs span the Zeppelin catalog. I think, it shouldn't be compared to albums of original Zeppelin material.

You're entirely right. I just realized it wasn't Mothership I was thinking of, but one of the other recent albums.

Latest posts

Back