Delta II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately they are not available right now. They used to be on the Philippus Lansbergen site and there were about 10 different missions modeled in 1/96 and 1/48 scale.

The designer is no longer affiliated with them and he took his copyrighted models with him. Last I heard, his intention was to put them on his own site when he got around to it.

It's too bad, and these are not the first cardstock models to disappear. That is why I always download any card model that I find that I even have a remote chance of building in the future.

I have ten of them in PDF that I downloaded before the were pulled (9 Delta IIs and 1 Delta III). I tried to upload to the post but the file size is too large(between 600kb and 1.2M). If anyone would like one or all, PM me with your email and I'll shoot them out. There are two scales, 1/96 and 1/72. I'm currently building the 1/72 Gravity Probe launcher. At that scale I can use stock tubes; BT-55 for the Delta booster and BT-5s for the SRBs. The Semroc BC-510 works well for the SRBs. The main nose cone was worked up from card stock and sealed with epoxy to give it some body. I then printed the main tube page on waterslide decal paper and used it as a wrap. So far it's going well. I'll post pics when it's done. I'm going with the booster as drag fins config so I'm glad it's been done with success.

Last edited:
Flew my Delta II ~1/78'ish scale model today.

Rocksim showed I needed an additional 1/2 oz nose ballast for a single 18mm motor flight. Taped on 4 pennys but the thing weathercocked in a slight 5 to 7 mph wind.

Lost one fin on the ejection charge/parachute deploy. Other than that a good first flight. Went up with a C6-3, no SRM 13mm motors this flight.

Flight-1d.jpg

Flight-1a.jpg

Flight-1c.jpg

Flew flight number 2 today at the NEFAR launch.

Flew pretty straight, it did have a couple of wabbles. Went up on a C6-3 only, only issue was the chute slightly tangled but no damage on landing.

P1080124-sm.jpg

Flight 2-a.jpg

Flew Flight 3 with a Core C6-5 and 3 A10-PT's (3 of 9).

Only 2 of the 3 A10's lit but the flight was straight and parachute deployment just past apogee.

Flight 4 was with a core C6-3 only due to launch battery capacity concern. Excellent flight parachute deployed at apogee, the chute did not inflate totally due to some shroud lines being tangled but still recovered without any damage.

Middle photo was actually Flight 4 ascent.

Flight 3-b.jpg

Flight 3-c.jpg

Flight 3-aa.jpg

I`m getting excited Carl ;)

She sure looks beautiful ! Nice going.

Paul

Looks very nice indeed!

I can't quite see from the pictures - do you have nozzles for the boosters and the main engine? I'm trying to figure out how to keep the nozzles on mine (unbuilt at the moment!) from getting damaged upon recovery....

Looks very nice indeed!

I can't quite see from the pictures - do you have nozzles for the boosters and the main engine? I'm trying to figure out how to keep the nozzles on mine (unbuilt at the moment!) from getting damaged upon recovery....

No nozzles, kept it simple.

Thanks

Flew the 18/13mm motor Delta II yesterday with a C6-5 core and 6 A10-PTs. I added additional ballast and the rocket had a empty weight of 5.5 oz. Loaded weight of 8 oz.

All motors ignited and she flew quick!, straight and up to about 700 feet, I should had used a delay in the core OF 7 seconds as deployment cam as she was still climbing. The chute tangled a bit but the rocket recovered nominally.

P1080591-sm.jpg

P1080594-sm.jpg

Liftoff.jpg

Last edited:
nice, well I'd expect a DII to be quick off the pad, you blink and you miss the real ones too.

Are they finished with the DII's yet? When I left FL I knew they still had a couple in the pipe line and some maybe's.

nice, well I'd expect a DII to be quick off the pad, you blink and you miss the real ones too.

Are they finished with the DII's yet? When I left FL I knew they still had a couple in the pipe line and some maybe's.

We have at least one more here at the Cape and a couple more out at Vandenberg.

VAFB - Cosmo Skymed 4 - 7420-10

VAFB - SAC-D/Aquarius - 7320-10
Cape - NASA Grail - 7920H-10

Back