Delta II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta-IV

Reaction score
I have just completed my Delta II model. It is the same scale as my Delta IV kits.

It will fly on a C6-x and upto 9 A10-PTs.

Has anyone else flown a 1/74th--ish scale of the Delta II?

Photo below: (L to R) My prototype DIV Heavy, the new DII-Phoenix and DIV Medium 5+4 Kit Version

P1070464-sm.jpg

Another outstanding job.

I'd like the full set.

Nice one Carl. Is the Delta II going to be offered in kit form (please say yes)such a nice looking rocket !!

Are there going to be more Delta Mediums comming soon (my Heavy needs company ;))

Paul

Back in 2000, I built and launched a 1/24th Delta II. No fins. 9.8lbs. Went to 455ft on an AT I357, straight boost. Peter Alway called it "an improbable lob". :eek: I've never flown it since. Attached are a couple pics.

Those Delta IV's look very nice!

-John

Delta2-1.jpg

Delta2-2.jpg

I've flown a 1/96 scale cardstock Delta II many times. No fins, just using the SRB's for stability.

Delta II_1.JPG

Back in 2000, I built and launched a 1/24th Delta II. No fins. 9.8lbs. Went to 455ft on an AT I357, straight boost. Peter Alway called it "an improbable lob". :eek: I've never flown it since. Attached are a couple pics.

Those Delta IV's look very nice!

-John

Nice looking. How about flying it on something like a J-330?

Nice looking. How about flying it on something like a J-330?

Anything much longer than a 1-second burn might cause it to start turning. I think the CTI J330 is about 2-seconds. AT I357 is around 1.2 sec burn. My Delta II only has a 38mm mount (stupid me). So, maybe the CTI J600 with 1.5 sec burn would work ok. 15g's and pretty flat burn.

Like Bob's 1/96th Delta II, mine would be better if the strapons had nozzles for more rear surface area. The CG on mine is about 1/2 way between the nose and tail.

-John

Anything much longer than a 1-second burn might cause it to start turning. I think the CTI J330 is about 2-seconds. AT I357 is around 1.2 sec burn. My Delta II only has a 38mm mount (stupid me). So, maybe the CTI J600 with 1.5 sec burn would work ok. 15g's and pretty flat burn.

Like Bob's 1/96th Delta II, mine would be better if the strapons had nozzles for more rear surface area. The CG on mine is about 1/2 way between the nose and tail.

-John

Its a tail heavy design..I'll have to add some ballast on mine..still working the numbers.

Its a tail heavy design..I'll have to add some ballast on mine..still working the numbers.

My original weight estimate before building was about 6 or 7 pounds. It ended up almost 10 pounds with the extra nose weight. More noseweight required a larger motor, which meant more noseweight... and so it goes.

-John

I have just completed my Delta II model. It is the same scale as my Delta IV kits.

Photo below: (L to R) My prototype DIV Heavy, the new DII-Phoenix and DIV Medium 5+4 Kit Version

Looks nice. Keep us updated.

Bob

These are some gorgeous rockets. The Delta's are my second favourite brand of launch vehicles.

A couple of questions though - i'm looking to do a semi-scale payloader loosely based on a cross between the Delta 4 and the Ariane 4 - i'm looking to either make or buy the motor nozzles on the stap ons? Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can get them?

Also, who makes the paper/cardstock Deltas? Those are nice!

Also, who makes the paper/cardstock Deltas? Those are nice!
Unfortunately they are not available right now. They used to be on the Philippus Lansbergen site and there were about 10 different missions modeled in 1/96 and 1/72 scale.

The designer is no longer affiliated with them and he took his copyrighted models with him. Last I heard, his intention was to put them on his own site when he got around to it.

It's too bad, and these are not the first cardstock models to disappear. That is why I always download any card model that I find that I even have a remote chance of building in the future.

Last edited:
Well at our Yuri's Night celebration, someone had made up a bunch of paper launch vehicles and was showing them off. Unfortunatly I didn't get the name of the guy who built them or the name of the website where he had downloaded them from.

Anyways. I need engine nozzles for my project. I'll keep looking around.

Nice, I like those nozzles, but since I'll be putting some 13mm's in there I didn't bother.

I don't know that your boosters are big enough, but have you considered canting the the 13mm motors just a bit? If you can point them at the CG, it helps with stability, especially if all the motors don't light at the same time, or at all.

-Kevin

I don't know that your boosters are big enough, but have you considered canting the the 13mm motors just a bit? If you can point them at the CG, it helps with stability, especially if all the motors don't light at the same time, or at all.

-Kevin

That would be my choice if I upscale it, the 13mm motors are in a 13mm BT.

On my rebuild of my Delta IV HPR rocket, I might look into doing that.

That would be my choice if I upscale it, the 13mm motors are in a 13mm BT.

Cool.

Something else that would be neat, but would add to the complexity, would be to do the motor ignition like the actual thing -- ground-start 6 of the boosters, and air-start the 3 remaining ones after the first six burn out.

Of course, that introduces the complexity of on-board electronics into the build.

-Kevin

Do I detect a growing consensus that the Delta II needs to be kitted?

Hearing no objection, the measure passed by unanimous consent...

Carl,

I've always wondered why they decided to use the Delta name on the DIV series? It looks to be 100% different hardware. They changed the name from Thor to Delta when the two were still very similar so it seems a little odd to me. The Delta II and III kept the same diameter as the old Thor/Delta to the best of my recollection yet the IV is huge in comparison.

Argument could be made with the Saturn series, but at least the Saturn 1B and Saturn V used the same S-IV stage and similar command/service module payloads.

BTW, all the models look great. :)

Carl,

I've always wondered why they decided to use the Delta name on the DIV series? It looks to be 100% different hardware. They changed the name from Thor to Delta when the two were still very similar so it seems a little odd to me. The Delta II and III kept the same diameter as the old Thor/Delta to the best of my recollection yet the IV is huge in comparison.

Argument could be made with the Saturn series, but at least the Saturn 1B and Saturn V used the same S-IV stage and similar command/service module payloads.

BTW, all the models look great. :)

There actually is some "common" hardware between the II, III and IV. Mostly Avionics related and processes. The Delta III second stage and fairings are used on the Delta IV 4-meter Mediums. But, basically Boeing must have felt that having the familiar reliable Delta name was more marketable. Have you wondered what ever happened to the Atlas IV? It never existed, Lockheed marketing suggested to "one up" Delta is the consensus.

Delta_EELV_family.png

Last edited:
That's a great poster you put up in the last post.

Yep. I'm convinced. You need to offer THEM ALL!!!!!!!!

I'm seriously thinking about just going ahead and dumping my rocket plans and just buy a bunch of yours, Delta-IV.

Because these are just terrifically terrific.

If Boeing goes ahead and manrates the D-IV heavy as the Orion-Lite launcher, will you put a kit out of that?

And if not, would you do it anyways? Please?

I'm seriously thinking about just going ahead and dumping my rocket plans and just buy a bunch of yours, Delta-IV.

Because these are just terrifically terrific.

If Boeing goes ahead and manrates the D-IV heavy as the Orion-Lite launcher, will you put a kit out of that?

And if not, would you do it anyways? Please?

..Aww shucks, yeas, I'd do it.

My plans are to take the summer off from kit assembling and work this and some other projects I have left unfinished.

I plan to put together a complete series of Delta II, Delta III and Delta IV (maybe a proposed Orion-Lite) kits by November-ish.

Thanks for the kind words!

My plans are to take the summer off from kit assembling and work this and some other projects I have left unfinished.

I plan to put together a complete series of Delta II, Delta III and Delta IV (maybe a proposed Orion-Lite) kits by November-ish.

Very good Carl.....my VISA will be on stand by !
Oh but first ,I still need a Delta Medium to go with my Heavy.

Paul T

Hey Carl! Have you been building a new prototype secretly on the side?!?!

https://mysite.verizon.net/gfeveryear/rocketry/tarc/slides/PICT2871A.html

(yes, I'm aware it's an Atlas V)...

:D

Back