Sky Of Gold... WHAT???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokitflite

Reaction score
OK, I am building my Semroc "Sky Of Gold" Scout (given to me by Zog43editor) and I am TOTALLY lost on step #16... What the heck are they telling you to do with the 1/32" thick by 3/16" wide balsa "for the length of the engine"???:stupido:

It goes on the inside of the body tube to make the motor have a tighter fit, so that the motor doesn't shoot out as fast.

You wedge that small strip of balsa in alongside the motor when you prep the GS prior to launch. The strip will not interfere with the forward "jump" of the motor at ignition, but it will prevent a problem that was seen early on with the Scout - when the motor hit the hook after the ejection charge fired, it would sometimes bounce back up into the body tube, reversing the weight shift and causing the Scout to come in ballistic. The strip will stay up in the GS's tube when the motor ejects and will block it from doing that bounce back. Vern Estes recognized the problem shortly after he introduced the Scout, and he added that same step to the instructions for the original kit.

Mark \\.

Really? I suppose taping a piece of cardboard to the outside of the motor would do the same thing. I guess I am just Ignorant or something, but that step could sure use a diagram to clarify! I don't remember that from the Scout I built in '79. Thanks Zog and Mark... Forgive me for being such a noob:D

OK, I am building my Semroc "Sky Of Gold" Scout (given to me by Zog43editor) and I am TOTALLY lost on step #16... What the heck are they telling you to do with the 1/32" thick by 3/16" wide balsa "for the length of the engine"???:stupido:

What I did was cut a 3/16" or so wide piece from the motor package card. Worked great. Scout tumbled nicely, but broke a fin on hitting the ground.
I do recommend using gauze (though I'm going to try used fabric softener dryer sheets).

What I did was cut a 3/16" or so wide piece from the motor package card. Worked great. Scout tumbled nicely, but broke a fin on hitting the ground.
I do recommend using gauze (though I'm going to try used fabric softener dryer sheets).

It might help cut down on the model's static cling as well.

A 3/16" wide piece of card works very nicely Scott. I also turned the motor hook around using the LONGER end out below the motor. worked like a champ!;)

054b-p01-sm_Semroc Golden Scout-1(110dpi)_04-05-08.jpg

Really? I suppose taping a piece of cardboard to the outside of the motor would do the same thing. I guess I am just Ignorant or something, but that step could sure use a diagram to clarify! I don't remember that from the Scout I built in '79. Thanks Zog and Mark... Forgive me for being such a noob:D
It's okay, Scott. One day you'll be as good at building rockets as some of these other guys.
:p:lol:

I never will be, but you will, I'm sure!

A 3/16" wide piece of card works very nicely Scott. I also turned the motor hook around using the LONGER end out below the motor. worked like a champ!;)

Pretty appropriate flight number for you John! ;)

I STILL need to build mine:rolleyes:

Might tackle one tonight when I veg out watching the one eyed monster....

Pretty appropriate flight number for you John! ;)

I STILL need to build mine:rolleyes:

Might tackle one tonight when I veg out watching the one eyed monster....

Oh man! I totally missed that, what a HOOT!,
I'm working on a second that was built at the club building session last month, which will be panting like my BT-70 upscale in traditional Red nose with one black fin. Body will remain rustoleum Metalflake Gold:)
Can't wait to fly them all at next months July sport launch!

Well, I got off my duff(well actually I sat on it doing this, butt...:lol:) and built my Flight #100 Golden Scout tonight! ;) A little rough around the edges so to speak but looks pretty good..Used Rustoleum Metallic Gold over a base of Gloss White..
GoldenScoutFlight100002.jpg

Wheee! I finished most of the painting on my Scout! Since I am not a huge fan of metallic gold, I went with the bass boat style and gave it a heavy flake look instead. After 75 coats of future I should be ready to apply the decals:rolleyes:.

scout1.jpg

Wheee! I finished most of the painting on my Scout! Since I am not a huge fan of metallic gold, I went with the bass boat style and gave it a heavy flake look instead. After 75 coats of future I should be ready to apply the decals:rolleyes:.

Oooh, me like!

I like the looks of that "Bass Boat" style gold metalflake much better than the typical "metallic gold".
Nice job !

Very cool Scott! Who makes the "Bass Boat" gold flake? I was wanting to do the same thing on mine, but have a two tone scheme similar to a Mark II or something. I never did run across any gold flake like that except in the craft type paints. I settled for a Rustoleum "Pale Gold" metal flake in the "Metallics" line, but it's not the same. I generally like the Rustoleum metal flakes, but pale gold looks more like sparkley tan, or champagne and not very gold, or metallic for that matter.

Very nice!

And you should be able to apply Future in your sleep, Scott. Even 75 coats.
:)

Very cool Scott! Who makes the "Bass Boat" gold flake? I was wanting to do the same thing on mine, but have a two tone scheme similar to a Mark II or something. I never did run across any gold flake like that except in the craft type paints. I settled for a Rustoleum "Pale Gold" metal flake in the "Metallics" line, but it's not the same. I generally like the Rustoleum metal flakes, but pale gold looks more like sparkley tan, or champagne and not very gold, or metallic for that matter.

Hey Craig,
I used Parma "Fasglitter" for RC cars mixed with Testors Top Coat Clear shot through a cheap airbrush... Now I glitter, my deck glitters and my neighbors patio furniture glitters...:rolleyes:

My cheapo camera at work makes it hard to post good photos.
Will be Futuring the model tonight.. decals sometime this weekend.

kj

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

After following this and similar threads I broke down and ordered one this week, Flight #1019. Started putting it together last nite. Will post pics once it is done.

After following this and similar threads I broke down and ordered one this week, Flight #1019. Started putting it together last nite. Will post pics once it is done.

What do you mean by "broke down?!" :lol:

I was trying not to get one like everyone else... but I would be the odd one here... I also had a New Year's resolution to finish the "unfinished" ones before starting a new one...

BTW, how many of you did use the Tyvek Reinforcing Tape or replaced it with gauze? Why?

Also, Did any of you placed the longer tip of the Engine Catch Hook towards the bottom of the rocket?

I was trying not to get one like everyone else... but I would be the odd one here... I also had a New Year's resolution to finish the "unfinished" ones before starting a new one...

BTW, how many of you did use the Tyvek Reinforcing Tape or replaced it with gauze? Why?

Also, Did any of you placed the longer tip of the Engine Catch Hook towards the bottom of the rocket?

The Tyvek Reinforcing Tape worked just fine with me, in fact, it's easier to use than the gauze (which I used on my Aston Scout back in 1969). SEMROC
basically has all the basics for assembling this kit done for us; all we really have to do is sand the fin's edges round (where needed) and glue the pieces
together. I need to start on my second Golden Scout today so I can have it
and my first one ready to fly at our club's next sport launch next weekend.

Back