15-pin to USB connector?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a 15-pin (I presume serial) to usb adapter?

Trying to see if I can get my old Real Flight 2 up and running.

Don, thanks but that wasn't it. The web site did help out though. I called them and they said it doesn't look as if anyone makes a 15-pin serial to usb adapter.

Time to upgrade I guess . . .

Hi,

if it has 15pins it is most likely either VGA or the game port. They can be distinguished by the layout. The VGA connector has 3 rows of pins, the game port has 2 of them. Both are some quite old analog interfaces, and the game port has become mostly obsolete these days.

"Real Flight 2" sounds like a joystick or something related to me and historical joysticks used the game port so it looks to me this is what you're looking for.

Google delivers lots of results for "gamport usb adapter", so it shouldn't be to hard to find something this way. I have no experience with these devices, so I can't give you a more specific recommendation.

Reinhard

Don, thanks but that wasn't it. The web site did help out though. I called them and they said it doesn't look as if anyone makes a 15-pin serial to usb adapter.

Time to upgrade I guess . . .

Time to upgrade YES.

Are you sure it is a 15 pin serial port? I know there are 25 pin and a 9 pin serial ports (the 25 pin was on older systems)

You might be able to use a DB-25 to DB-9 adapter, then connect to a DB9-USB. No guarantee, just an idea. Look here at the Serial to Serial.

https://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=101

John

Pre-USB PCs and soundcards usually included an analog interface port generically called a "game port", which used a 15-pin D-submini type connector. Note that this is NOT the same type of connector as a VGA monitor plugs into, which is a "high density" 15 pin d-sub, with 3 rows of pins, rather than 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port

This was the standard interface for joysticks, control pads, flight yokes, steering wheel controllers, etc, until USB came along.

I notice the Belkin item on the linked page is out-of-stock, and the $4.31 price sounds a bit on the low side for a gadget like this.

To make a USB port talk to an older style analog joystick, you need 2 analog/digital converters, as well as enough microcontroller "smarts" to convert the A/D outputs (as well as the switch inputs for fire buttons and whatnot) into to a serial data stream and shove it out over a USB port. Even in these days of cheap electronics, that sounds like a bit much to expect in a $4 device.

I have used one of these:

https://www.usb-port.com/rm203.html

with good results, but it isn't as cheap as that Belkin device, whatever it is.

Time to upgrade YES.

Are you sure it is a 15 pin serial port?

Yup, John, it's 15, two-row, pins. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. Yup that's 15. ;)

I found one just not sure if I want to spend $30, plus shipping. Yikes!

There are definitely 15 pin serial ports. There's just no standard for them like there is for DB25 and DB9. They are used in networking devices.

Google 'serial db15' and maybe add 'usb' afterward.

I've never seen a 15 pin "serial" (as in RS-232) connector, but 15 pin connectors were once somewhat common on networking gear as an AUI/Ethernet connector. Sun and Digital Equipment made a lot of this stuff, IIRC.

Yes, it is a serial communication protocol, but not what is commonly called a "serial port".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_Unit_Interface

Is there such a thing as a 15-pin (I presume serial) to usb adapter?

Trying to see if I can get my old Real Flight 2 up and running.
Doing a quick Google search on "Real Flight 2 controller" turned up a thread with the following posts:

"I have used the RF gen 2 program and I love it. But I have been unable to use it since the new Comp has no 15 pin gameport. I tried a Radio Shack gameport to USB adapter with dismal results. Does ANYONE know of any RC radio controller with a USB connection that works with RF gen 2."

and

"I used a RS Game to USB converter with good results.
Have you tried using different settings on the switch(s)
As I remember you use the last listed mode on the converter.
Then you have to recalibrate the controller."

and

"You could also just put a game port card in the new machine."

and

"You can pick up an USB to Game Port Adapter at RadioShack for $5, Cat# 26-728. It's not on their website anymore so you can't check in-store availability online, but you can call you local store to see if they have one."

and finally,

"yea just get an old soundcard, even the cheapest 10$ pci sound card usually has the game port.. also double check your motherboard manual.. you may have the Midi/Game header and you'd just need the adapter.."

and so on. Sounds like there are lots of options.

tms

Woo-hoo, the internet is my friend.

Took 2muchstuff's advice and went to radio shack and got the USB adapter for, get this, $1.37. The sales clerk couldn't believe the price either. Oh yea, oh yea.

Woo-hoo, the internet is my friend.

Took 2muchstuff's advice and went to radio shack and got the USB adapter for, get this, $1.37. The sales clerk couldn't believe the price either. Oh yea, oh yea.
Wow that's great. I hope it works out.

User forums can be a great source of info, but crafting a query that returns the right kind of info can be tough sometimes. Got lucky this time.

Thanks for reporting back,

tms

Back