Alpha!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy cow JStarStar, your Streak flies up to 2000 feet!!!:y::y::y::eek: And the Streak looks like a Big Bertha except smaller.:roll: How tall is it?

Ryan

Last edited:
well the catalog listed it as1/8 oz, 5.6"(but alot of that is fin...the bt is only approx 3"). it was basically an engine with fins(and nose).

I am a 100% newbie to the rocket building world. I am about to sign a chunk of my robotics team up for TARC. We needed some building and organizational experience. I've purchased some rockets and engines to get us started. But a question about losing rockets. What about putting some high intensity red LEDs on the rocket for visibility? Using a small battery, you could get by with less than a dollar or two. Has anyone tried that? Do you think it would work?

I am a 100% newbie to the rocket building world. I am about to sign a chunk of my robotics team up for TARC. We needed some building and organizational experience. I've purchased some rockets and engines to get us started. But a question about losing rockets. What about putting some high intensity red LEDs on the rocket for visibility? Using a small battery, you could get by with less than a dollar or two. Has anyone tried that? Do you think it would work?

From my very limited understanding of the TARC rules and regulations, i don't think a rocket you'd build would achieve an altitude that you would lose sight of it, or at least it wouldn't reach an altitutde where you would lose sight of it after the parachute pops out...i could be very wrong about this

Also, unless you're launching at night, a battery+LEDs is just weight since you'd need an extremely powerful LED or a large cluster of laser intensity LEDs to see very well, which at that point you might as well get binoculars.

Unfortunately, even if you can watch your rocket the whole flight, trees and other obstacles are an unavoidable part of launching in even most rural areas. And unfortunately retreiving your rocket from somewhere dangerous is kinda against the NAR safety code, which would be kinda ironic for an NAR event :)

Even on a C you will send an Alpha pretty much out of sight, so a D is just overkill. Just get a bigger rocket for that D!

Glenn

Holy cow JStarStar, your Streak flies up to 2000 feet!!!:y::y::y::eek: And the Streak looks like a Big Bertha except smaller.:roll: How tall is it?

Ryan
well the catalog listed it as1/8 oz, 5.6"(but alot of that is fin...the bt is only approx 3"). it was basically an engine with fins(and nose).
The Astron Streak also had a super-thin, super lightweight Mylar body and a small, rounded nose cone. It didn't have a recovery device; instead, it ejected its motor at apogee and then returned using featherlight recovery (only possible with small and very lightweight rockets). Finding any rocket that uses that method of recovery is a challenge because they are always so small to begin with and there is no recovery device like a streamer to increase their visibility. Even if you can follow one to apogee, tracking it as it comes back down is extremely difficult. Sometimes if it is very quiet after the launch and it happens to come down very close by you can hear a very soft thud as it hits the ground. Otherwise you have to start walking back and forth in a tight grid pattern in the part of the field that you think it landed in, closely examining the ground as you go along.

I launched my FlisKits Tumble Weed, which was only wearing a coat of white primer at the time, several times one day a few years ago in a large complex of soccer, football and baseball fields at a high school. The grass throughout the field was a very uniform deep green, freshly mowed and short. Yet I had to walk in that grid pattern after each flight, and it never took me less than 20 minutes to find it, even though the white rocket stood out quite well as it sat on the grass. After one flight it took me an hour and fifteen minutes of constant searching before I spotted it. But thanks to the condition of the field and a lot of persistence I did succeed in finding it every time, and I still have it.

DSCF0425.JPG

DSCF0398.JPG

Why did Estes choose the clear BT instead of a regular BT-20 type tube?
If you paint it, one would never know it wasn't a regular BT-20 tube.
Just wondering out loud.

The Streak was a maximum altitude model. BT-10 is/was thin mylar - lighter than BT-20, not the heavier PST-20-type stuff. When the total mass without a motor is only about 3.5g, another half a gram matters!

The Streak was a maximum altitude model. BT-10 is/was thin mylar - lighter than BT-20, not the heavier PST-20-type stuff. When the total mass without a motor is only about 3.5g, another half a gram matters!
The wall thickness of BT-10 was an unbelievable 0.005", substantially thinner than the 0.013" thick wall of BT-20. No one makes anything like BT-10 now, and it has not been available for quite some time. The Streak's last year of production was 1987. One of the big surprises that I found in the vintage kit that is shown in the pictures was that the material used in BT-10 was spiral-wound. The tube consists of several layers of spiral-wound Mylar. Even very thin-walled model rocket tubing always has at least a very modest amount of mass that you can feel when you pick it up; this stuff, on the other hand, feels like nothing at all. I suspect that the real reason that Estes ended production of the Streak was that they were no longer able to obtain any more BT-10 from the Roswell crash site. ;)

Last edited:
One of the big surprises that I found in the vintage kit that is shown in the pictures was that the material used in BT-10 was spiral-wound. The tube consists of several layers of spiral-wound Mylar.
I remember that from "back in the day" - I had a Streak in my original fleet though I do not recall what became of it. I do still have an original from back then that is made from a full length - 9 inch long - piece of BT-10. One of those was in one of the designers' packages long ago.
Even very thin-walled model rocket tubing always has at least a very modest amount of mass that you can feel when you pick it up; this stuff, on the other hand, feels like nothing at all. I suspect that the real reason that Estes ended production of the Streak was that they were no longer able to obtain any more BT-10 from the Roswell crash site. ;)
Ah, that explains it. :D

I was wondering if anyone flew an Alpha on a "D" motor and recovered it.

I saw someone do it!

At the Last NOVAAR launch, we had a beautiful clear day, with not much wind. While I was hooking up the wires for my super alpha on a D12-5, someone was hooking up an alpha with a D12-5 .. I did not watch his whole flight because I was trying to keep an eye on my super alpha, but I did watch part of it and it went out of sight, but he did manage to recover it, I caught sight of it on the way down after I picked up the super alpha.

I have enough trouble tracking my alpha on an A8-3. The one time I launched it with a C6-5 I nearly lost it, it drifted quite a ways on a streamer. I actually gave up but happened to see it when I was driving away from the Launch site.:clap:

Last edited:
I haven't tried it with a Alpha, but a D21-7 in a Rampage practically teleports off the pad and then smoke trail appears in the sky 2-3 seconds later. I needed help tracking the Rampage on the way down. Got it back.

My No. 2 Estes Sky Writer, a much longer rocket than the Alpha, came pretty darned close to disappearing on a C6-7 when I launched it the first time a few years ago. It was in an early July evening during that moment shortly before dusk when the air becomes very still. It was, and still is, the only launch that I ever made that went perfectly straight up, with no drift. Me and members of my family who were visiting strained to see it. I totally lost sight of it for a couple of seconds, and then just at the very limits of my eyesight I was able to just discern the tiniest little squirt of tracking smoke, w-a-a-a-a-y-y-y up there. Imagine seeing a housefly at 30 feet away - that's what it looked like. I listened for the pop of the ejection charge, but it was just too far away. So I figured that I had lost it. But I kept straining to see something, and a second or so later I saw what might or might not have been a microscopic little speck in the sky. I wasn't sure if it was really there or if I just saw something because I wanted to see something, but I kept staring at it and I called it out to everyone. After almost a minute I could see that it was getting bigger and that's when I knew that it was real and not my imagination. It was another 45 seconds or so before I felt pretty sure that it was indeed my rocket. Several minutes later it gently dropped back to the ground on it's 12" parachute.

The incredible thing was that it came back down inside the little high school softball field that I launched it from, and didn't go into the trees. I launched it from shallow left field and it came down just inside the fence deep in the right field pocket. I have never had such still air for a launch ever before and I have never had anything like that since. Now this was with my Sky Writer on a C6-7. Imagine what an Alpha would have done on the same motor in those same conditions.

Who says that LPR can't be exciting?

P.S. My launch site is at 1700 feet ASL; IOW, not terribly high by any means.

Last edited:
I'm already building my Alpha right now.:cheers::cheers: The step I'm on is puttying my rocket.(Which is part of step 9).:bangbang:

I recently launched a Sunward “Flechette” using an 18mm reload Aerotech D24 motor.

3…2…1…POP and that thing was gone. The Sunward “Flechette” is a BT-50 based rocket like the “Alpha” but is longer with heavier fins so I can’t imagine how fast and high an “Alpha” would go with that same motor

I replaced the kits stock UPNC (Universal Plastic Nose Cone) with a much nicer Semroc balsa offering.

If you really want to improve the looks/class of your “Alpha” I suggest you get a Balsa Machining Service BNC 50 K. This is a clone of the original Estes nosecone used on the older “Alpha” kits.

You will notice the difference in appearance.

I recently launched a Sunward “Flechette” using an 18mm reload Aerotech D24 motor.

3…2…1…POP and that thing was gone. ...
Do you know if it has re-entered the atmosphere yet? ;)

It came down; it came down ½ a mile away in a muddy field but it did come down. I used a streamer for recovery. Here in Western Oklahoma we often use streamers instead of parachutes because of the winds.
We sometimes use streamers on rockets that weigh 2lbs or more and they come down softly. Roger and Hammerstein didn’t write that song for nothing.

This is the one I used to spend an afternoon looking for...now you see it/now you don't (course I didn't have a Mosquito back then...but I did fly an Astron Streak many times).
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_est_screamer.shtml

eBay+013.JPG

Last edited:
This is the one I used to spend an afternoon looking for...now you see it/now you don't (course I didn't have a Mosquito back then...but I did fly an Astron Streak many times).
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/all/oop_est_screamer.shtml

eBay+013.JPG

Been there, done that for sure. I used to love flying mine on the now discontinued A3-6T. I have to say that is probably my favorite Estes rocket. It's funny you would post that picture, I was just looking at the old package for mine in the garage last night. The price on it was $1.50 and hand written of course. Man, I'm old!

Mark

Screamer was my first rocket and I'm planning to clone it this winter as part of my BAR rebuild of the original fleet. Got decals from Sandman!

The original was bright orange (with lots of runs) plus poorly applied decals... It had a few flights at science camp, then my dog ate it.

I'm not sure what color I'm going to go with on the new one.

Screamer was my first rocket and I'm planning to clone it this winter as part of my BAR rebuild of the original fleet. Got decals from Sandman!

The original was bright orange (with lots of runs) plus poorly applied decals... It had a few flights at science camp, then my dog ate it.

I'm not sure what color I'm going to go with on the new one.

Are you going with the original BT-5?

Yes, it will be essentially identical to the original, though hopefully my technique has improved in the last decades.

(sorry, didn't mean to hijack the Alpha thread!)

Your not going to build a upscale at the same time, like BT-50?
There hasn't been any Alpha thread activity for almost a week. I wouldn't worry about a hijack!

Actually, I'm also planning an upscale screamer designed to take Quest D5 engines (not sure whether it will be BT50, 55, or 56). But that's a whole 'nother story. These days when I build something I usually plan an upscale or downscale of it. I've still got a "Praetor Minimus" (a Fliskits Praetor-inspired BT50/20 downscale) waiting for primer (spring).

Marc

Actually, I'm also planning an upscale screamer designed to take Quest D5 engines (not sure whether it will be BT50, 55, or 56). But that's a whole 'nother story. These days when I build something I usually plan an upscale or downscale of it. I've still got a "Praetor Minimus" (a Fliskits Praetor-inspired BT50/20 downscale) waiting for primer (spring).

Marc

My first small rocket was the Sparrow, kit #0872. I've drawn an upscale plan for a BT-80 version. I think the original fin dimensions upscaled to BT-80 look to large.

I'm thinking the original fins were over sized a bit to catch more air. The Screamer looks like the same thing happend.

I am not sure how to approch this problem, other then using artisic license on the fin dimensions until they 'look' right.

Last edited:
The Sandman has a picture of a screamer upscaled to BT-80 in the upscale/downscale classics section of www.excelsiorrocketry.com

I wonder what he did about the size of the fins?

eBay 013.JPG

Last edited:
Back