Estes S.W.A.T. #2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay

Reaction score
Been working on this one for a while. I was fortunate in being able to purchase an original factory sealed kit from Gus. I really like the size of this rocket (BT-60 based) and the design. Upon opening the bag I was pleasantly surprised to find nicely die cut fins (as opposed to die crushed) which were warp free and the decal sheet had not yellowed.:)

Estes SWATa.jpg

swat 10b.jpg

Elmers Glue All (white glue) was used for the build including the motor mount and the fin fillets. Elmers Carpenters Wood Filler for the filling of the wood grain and body tube spirals. I dig the exhaust cone!:D

swat 11a.jpg

swat 3a.jpg

swat 4a.jpg

Looks great. Make sure you post a picture once it is painted. I'll have to dig mine out from storage and add it to my immediate build pile.

Thanks guys! Here she is in primer, Tamiya flat white acrylic paint applied with a Badger 250 Basic spray gun. The S.W.A.T. first appeared in the 1989 Estes catalog and was last seen in the 1993 catalog.:)

SWAT 17a.jpg

For the camo job, I went with a sort of "splinter" pattern. My airbrush is best for large, one color subjects. So afrter using the airbrush to apply the tan base coat, I used some masking tape (Scotch-Blue Painter's Tape #2090 medium adhesion 14 day removal) and some small paint brushes.

S1a.jpg

S2a.jpg

S3a.jpg

This rocket brings back memories, i had one when i was in high school (1990-1991). It flew great until like on the 20th flight it had an engine cato that blew though the rocket. I think it was a cato but it could have been just wear and tear on the engine mount. Yours looks really nice, i like the crisp lines between the camo colors. When i painted mine i used quick close up graffiti type painting to get a camo on it. It also looks like monokote would work there too.

Chris

Back