Smoking CA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguff

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen CA smoke or give off a visible vapor?

I was coating a coupler with LocTite using a paper towel to spread the LocTite, and i noticed the paper towel start to smoke.

I think i had heard of epoxy smoking before, but didn't recall hearing of CA smoking. Just curious.

Has anyone ever seen CA smoke or give off a visible vapor?

I was coating a coupler with LocTite using a paper towel to spread the LocTite, and i noticed the paper towel start to smoke.

I think i had heard of epoxy smoking before, but didn't recall hearing of CA smoking. Just curious.

All the time with fast CA on balsa. It even does it when I use it to glue myself back together after I cut myself. (Note to self: Medium CA doesn't set me on fire like Fast CA does.) :D

I've heard of sniffing airplane glue, but smoking CA?!:surprised:

Man, that's hardcore...:D

I was just applying some fast thin CA to a few cardstock tubes I rolled this evening to seal the edges. I was leaning directly over the stuff. My eyes started burning and tearing like crazy. There were definitely some vapors there.

You're obviously not a fan of the CSI series of television shows, are you?

Anyone remember Beverly Hills Cop 1? Eddie Murphy's character lifts a fingerprint from a matchbook by placing the matchbook in an aquarium with a lid. He put a few drops of CA in a small cup in the aquarium as well. The moisture in the atmosphere reacts with the CA to form a white "smoke" that will adhere to anything with moisture and skin oils in it - such as a fingerprint on a matchbook cover. :D

Off of Wikipedia :D

"One non-adhesive use for cyanoacrylate is as a forensic tool. Fumes from warmed CA can develop latent fingerprints on smooth surfaces like glass, plastic, etc. The invisible fingerprint residues react with the CA fumes and atmospheric moisture to form a white polymer (polycyanoacrylate) on the fingerprint ridges and can then be recorded. The developed fingerprints are, on most surfaces (except on white plastic or similar), visible to the naked eye. Non-visible or poorly visible prints can be furthermore enhanced by applying a luminescent or non-luminescent stain. This technique was shown in the films Beverly Hills Cop II and National Treasure, and frequently features in the television series CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and its spin-offs."

While on the job site we were repairing a cracked circuit board and accidently knocked over the container of Super Glue. Since the repair was time critical we wiped up as much glue as we could with a rag and put it a side. After a couple of seconds a plume of smoke could be seen rising from the rag. :surprised:

Not sure if it was just vapors or smoke but we hit it with a burst of Co2 just in case...

Absolutely! I've reinforced a few sets of fins with nylon stretched over fins and CR's. It's a poor man's fiberglass. It definately lets the magic smoke out.

Now, I haven't seen any smoke when I have been using CA, but I have felt it get extremely hot when I had been spreading it on a fin..And hot as in putting your finger in scalding hot water!:eek:

One more yes.... it does.

AND- after building a few RC airplane kits and experiencing lots of that "smoke"... I am now so allergic to CA glues that I can't use them without a good cartridge mask. If I do get a good hit of the glue without the mask my throat and chin itch like mad, and my nose/sinuses fill up and run non-stop for several hours. Really a lovely way to spend the evening.

It took several airplanes and a model canoe to get to this point, but your mileage may vary.

Nat

Smoke, not vapor. It will combust be careful . I remember doing that with cotton balls.

One more yes.... it does.

AND- after building a few RC airplane kits and experiencing lots of that "smoke"... I am now so allergic to CA glues that I can't use them without a good cartridge mask. If I do get a good hit of the glue without the mask my throat and chin itch like mad, and my nose/sinuses fill up and run non-stop for several hours. Really a lovely way to spend the evening.

It took several airplanes and a model canoe to get to this point, but your mileage may vary.

Nat

+1

Yep, try to use CA adhesives in a well ventilated area. The allergic response is bad. Some say similar in severity to an epoxy allergic reaction.

Epoxy can also get very hot. I was once fiberglassing a body tube in the Florida heat when the sponge I was using started smoking. It burst into flames just after I dropped it.

Hard to smoke beer.

As strange as it seems, I have actually had smoked beer. Not quite sure what step of the brewing process was 'smoked' (I'd guess the grains and hops just before they went into the tank?), but it was very very smoky.

Darn it, it's 9:30 in the morning and now I want a beer :rofl:

Back