ARC Parallel Staged Rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luv2launch

Reaction score
Since I have seen mention of this one on the forums but never have found a build thread on one I am gonna throw up some pics of mine as it gets built might take a bit of time theres alot of cutting to do on it.This is also gonna be my first time posting pics from a photo site so I hope these work.
These are all the parts laid out for assembly.
arc1.jpg

This is the lower sustainer section with the boosters paperclipped on waiting for the interlock tabs to be glued on.
arc2.jpg

Heres one with the interlock tabs glued on and in the tradition of Art Upton I am gonna have a beer while the glue dries.I am gonna try to do a bit more this afternoon before work I'll see what I can do.
arc3.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I have an 1824 waiting for my attention too.

Somebody explain this to the n00b. 4 tubes... Parallel Staged, you say? Help a guy out, what's the firing sequence?

/w

Very nice glue drying technique, and a Kewl looking rocket as well ;)

Yes it worked very well although the glue didn't seem to dry any quicker.On with the build.
Heres the sustainer with fins sitting on the boosters.Lots of sanding and fine tuning on this one.
arc4.jpg

Somebody explain this to the n00b. 4 tubes... Parallel Staged, you say? Help a guy out, what's the firing sequence?

/w

4 18mm boosters around a 24mm sustainer they all ignite at once the boosters burn out and fall away while the big D keeps the sustainer going up up and up.

4 18mm boosters around a 24mm sustainer they all ignite at once the boosters burn out and fall away while the big D keeps the sustainer going up up and up.

I love it. I always wondered, though... isn't timing an issue on these multi-engine sticks? Don't the engines all have to be pretty much perfectly synchronized for this to work right?

/w

What size is that balsa transition? It looks like BT-60 to BT-50 is it? How strong is the balsa going to be as thin as that is on the upper side?

What size is that balsa transition? It looks like BT-60 to BT-50 is it? How strong is the balsa going to be as thin as that is on the upper side?

I have been wondering that myself and am also wondering if I should try to maybe coat the inside with epoxy to stop it from getting charred.

Gonna call this build for the night didn't get much done but half of the lower section of the sustainer and boosters are done now I gotta wait on more glue to dry.More to come tomorrow night.

Great build thread so far but guinness helps the glue dry faster and would probably serve as a glue as well. :)
Cheers
fred

Anyone know what happened to ARC? The website is not found recently.

I read elsewhere on the forum that he has been selling his kits mostly on ebay thats where I picked mine up he has an ebay store called The Model Rocket Kit store.

I have been wondering that myself and am also wondering if I should try to maybe coat the inside with epoxy to stop it from getting charred.

Nice rocket. Should be fun flights.

Thin, slow curing epoxy soaks into balsa very well. I use West Systems slow epoxy and it hardens the surface of balsa a lot all by itself. Even more with a thin layer of fiberglass, but that is not always required.

I would coat all the surfaces of the transition and nosecone this way. Those parts will be harder and stronger.

And as far as the glue additive (in the brown bottle), my experience is that it definitely does (seem to) make the glue dry faster. Also helps with fin alignment. :eek:

I love it. I always wondered, though... isn't timing an issue on these multi-engine sticks? Don't the engines all have to be pretty much perfectly synchronized for this to work right?

/w

The key at the start of a cluster launch is to get all the engines lit. Well set up igniters and a 12V launch system that can deliver plenty of current is required.

I have used Rocketflite's igniter kit with very good results for a bunch of cluster launches. The long igniter leads eliminate the need for unreliable clip whips.

Once the rocket is up to speed, the fins do a lot to stabilize the rocket. So the fact that the engines will not burn out as exactly the same times is not a problem.

Now, if one or more pods do not drop off, the drag will probably cause the rocket to arc to some degree. But by that point it is already up there.

Heres the full stack after all the little bits of sanding and the recovery systems and launch lugs glued on.The paint shop is backed up right now so its gonna be a bit before it sees primer and I need to decide on a paint job for it.I might have to move this one to the top of the pile for paint though I wanna get the last bits of dowel sanded and glued in I wanna see this one fly soon.
arc5.jpg

Back