How big tube fins?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DexterLB

Reaction score
Does anyoune know how big tube fins to put on a 30mm diameter and 420mm long rocket? ;)

I dunno...but the brand-new issue of "Sport Rocketry"...the NAR's mag...has an article on pretty much this exact question; how big (diam and/or length) should the tubes be for a given airframe size.

The norm is to use tubes that are the same diameter as the BT - 6 of them fit evenly around the main tube. The rule of thumb I'd seen is a length between 1.5 and 3 times the BT diameter. You can simulate these in RockSim and there is an article on EMRR https://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim_library.shtml that should describe how tube fins affect stability.

Dexter: Just to clarify, are you talking about tube fins attached to the side of the airframe, or concentric with it (like a FlisKits Corona)?

Tube fins can be a cool way to build a different looking rocket.

Depending on design, because of their extra drag they can reduce altitude by more than a third, when compared to straight fins. If flying in a small field, that can be desireable.

As I understood the Sport Rocketry article, the reported result was that a short stubby rocket body could greatly reduce the extra drag created by the tube fins. Interesting to note the rockets in the article had 7 slightly smaller tubes for fins, instead of the easy to size 6 tube fins the same size as the body.

A single large concentric fin is called a ring fin in RockSim. Different look, but also adds a lot of drag compared to straight fins.

Back