My first Art Applewhite attempts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hounddawgracing

Reaction score
Thought I'd try my hand at makin' some card stock stuff last night. I didn't have any cardstock so I used manila folders. I'm still trying to figure out how to get some equal dimensions on the delta and then I'll cut & paste patterns out of mylar. It definitely needs something to help keep it from getting lost since my 6yro girl wanted the metallic green duplicolor on it. I think it will look equally as cool as the Cinco. The kiddos were pretty excited to wake up this morning and see their names next to them.

DSC02341.jpg

DSC02343-1.jpg

DSC02342.jpg

They can be real fun. I think the bigger ones are better though. Try the 18mm one on an AT D13. It rips.:D

Definately. The bigger one is worth the few bucks. Make one of them w/ a 24mm mount and don't form the thrust ring. Put in an E9-4 with most of the motor sticking out the top. Rock and roll!

Here's what I came up with for the Delta. I'll do the same to the underside so it looks like the mylar is wrapped. This stuff is a pain to work with.....you need a very sharp knife, steady hands and have to keep it contained or it will wrinkle when you're trying to cut it. The good thing is any excess glue just wipes right off.

DSC02345.jpg

Just got done flying the Delta and Cinco in my front yard. WHAT A BLAST :lol: I love these little guys. I used A10-3T's cause that's all I had. I just made sure everyone was clear because the ejection charge let loose about 20-30'. Thanks to other posts I was expecting it. I'd guess they went about 80'+ total. Maybe more....I'm a poor judge of distance.

We also flew a 13mm Whirleygig which was fun also. It got some good height and really put off a nice spiraling smoke pattern. The first motor did blow out of the engine tube so I used one wrap of painters tape and that held it in just fine.

I think the crowd favorite was my own version of the Applewhite 9" paper plate saucer. I would definitely not recommend anything with a delay charge. I had one C6-0 and one C6-5. The C6-5 kicked the delay charge as it landed. Again, good thing I was expecting it and made sure everyone stayed clear. I was reall impressed how this floated down perfectly flat.

This is definitely a different kind of fun with rocketry.

I've got that page on my Favorites list. The only reason I haven't done any "rockets" is I need to pick up a few things such as shock cord material, etc.

I blasted off the last of my mini motors with the Cinco and Delta shortly after my last post. It's spring break for the kiddos so why not. Unfortunately the Cinco went CATO. :cry: It blew out the bottom out as well as the engine tube. I'm thinking it was due to using engines with a delay charge and the motor possibly shifting up into the engine tube. The only thing that bums me out is the time I spent on taping the off-set patterns. Oh, well. Now I just have to build another one and stick to the A10-PT's.

BTW.....these were made out of manila file folders as I didn't have any card stock on hand when I decided to build them at 10pm the other night. I'm not sure how much thicker 110lb stock is but these are plenty stout. I did have them both finished, less paint, in well under two hours which included finding the Elmers the kids had stashed away somewhere.

The Applewhite saucers are a lot of fun. Great flyers on a windy day or a small field.

My favorite engines for them are the D11-P or G64 with no ejection charge. Ejection charges are nasty on a saucer, can cause burns on the saucer or worse.

I think the crowd favorite was my own version of the Applewhite 9" paper plate saucer.
I appreciate houndawgracing's enthusiasm for my designs. I would like to clear up one, little point. :banghead: The choice of materials is very important in rocket construction. I wouldn't want folks to get the wrong idea about my products from houndawgracing's remark.

I have never used paper or Styrofoam plates in any of my kits. I also don't use Balsa. Paper plates lack the necessary strength to weight ratio. Styrofoam lacks heat resistance and is not biodegradable. Basswood is stronger and more consistent than Balsa. I use Solo® brand plates, exclusively, for my kits. They are made from a high-quality, impact-resistant, biodegradable plastic. Each plate is throughly inspected. Less than perfect plates are recycled, with my lunch. :rotflol:

I currently put 2 plates in each kit, at no extra cost, in case the builder need a do-over. :D

Several years ago I manufactured 9 inch flying saucer kits. They were similar to the current 7.25 inch, 24 mm Original flying saucer kits. They used a 9 inch, Solo® brand plate and were intended for long 24 mm motors such as the Estes E9. I found the 7.25 inch flying saucer worked better with these motors so I discontinued the 9 inch kit.

My current line of Original flying saucers uses 6", 7.25" and 10.25" Solo® brand plates and covers a wide range of, 18mm to 29mm, A to H, rocket motors. :party:

Okay.....now I have to validate the choice of materials for my builds....LOL I picked up some 110lb cardstock over the weekend. The manilla folders I used for the Cinco and Delta is every bit as thick and rigid as the 110lb cardstock if not more stout.

The plates I used for the 9" saucer were the heavy Chinet brand you get from Price Club (I refuse to call it Costco for some reason). I'm quite sure the rigidity is every bit as good if not moreso than the Solo brand plates and are equally biodegradeable :p The only difference is they are not self locking to one another but were secured with yellow carpenters glue. I'm sure the power to weight ratio is better with the Solo plates but these did perform rather well.

Third, had any of the three appeared to not be up to snuff as far as their structural integrity, I definitely would not have flown them.

However, from now on I'm going to be using 110lb cardstock cause I bought a bunch of it :D

Thanks to Mr. Art Applewhite for putting up these designs at N/C for all of us to enjoy. No offense taken and perfectly understand the reasoning behind the post.

My current line of Original flying saucers uses 6", 7.25" and 10.25" Solo® brand plates and covers a wide range of, 18mm to 29mm, A to H, rocket motors. :party:

The 10.25" can use 29mm H motors??? You mind listing which ones?

I love that saucer. I can't wait to try the G76 when it comes out.

Thanks,
Mike

Latest posts

Back