NAR Model Rocketry Code in Every Model Rocket Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockwaveriderz

Reaction score
Should a copy of the NAR Model Rocket Safety Code be placed in each model rocket kit or model rocket package sold?

terry dean
nar 16158

Sure, why not? Even if folks aren't members of the NRA, it helps to have safety guidelines included from one of the leading national organizations for the hobby. Besides, there has to be some kind of warning list or disclaimer so people can't sue companies because they weren't told you can't stick this up your nose and launch it. So why not just make these warnings in the form of the NAR safety code?

As with every one of these polls, the choices we must vote on/choose from do not allow us to provide a correct answer (i.e. "our real answer").

Is it a good idea? Yes
Should there be a law requiring it? No

Here is part of the problem with that.

Estes Industries and the NAR...well, I get the impression they just don't get along.

You may run into a roadblock there but who knows.

Is it a good idea? Yes
Should there be a law requiring it? No

Did I miss something or did anyone mention anything about a law?

Also i think that there already is a copy in most of the models I have bought or maybe its in the motor package which is the same as having it the other way but more often exposed

I would just like to point out that the NARMRSC is already included with every package of model rocket motors sold, at least by Estes Industries. I haven't recently purchased any Quest model rocket motors so I don't know what if any they include with their motor packages.

When I say packages I don't mean model rocket parts; I simply mean, kits and motors.

terry dean
nar 16158

As with every one of these polls, the choices we must vote on/choose from do not allow us to provide a correct answer (i.e. "our real answer").

Ok Fred, I'll bite. what is the REAl A nswer" ? Or for that matter, what is the REAL Question? Fred, I'm tellin' you that Sirius Radio is rotting your mind.

i'm jokin with you Fred so don't do ballistic on me.

terry dean
nar 16158

Ok Fred, I'll bite. what is the REAl A nswer" ? Or for that matter, what is the REAL Question? Fred, I'm tellin' you that Sirius Radio is rotting your mind.

i'm jokin with you Fred so don't do ballistic on me.

terry dean
nar 16158

No time to type up a real response. I'm in hour 12 at work and I'm too tired. On the lighter side, Sirius now has created "Client 9 Radio" to discuss that wacky governor.

Terry,

Let's say we vote "yes," how do you propose to make the manufacturers include the code?

Mario

Quests motors also have the safety code, and at least the "major Maunfactures" have the saftey code in kit packages somewhere. ie estes it's a little blue slip of extra paper.

Terry,

Let's say we vote "yes," how do you propose to make the manufacturers include the code?

Mario

Mario, I don't proppose to make anybody do anything they don't want to do.

I would leave it as it is now: the manufacturers volunteer to include the code on their kit or motor instruction sheets or they don't.

terry dean
nar 16158

I would leave it as it is now: the manufacturers volunteer to include the code on their kit or motor instruction sheets or they don't.
Then what's the purpose of your poll? Trolling? Did you and someone have an argument about it and you're hoping the poll results prove you right?

I'm done with TRF for a while. Between these completely useless polls and the auto-spam 'newsfeeds', the signal to noise ratio has dropped to the point where I'm almost better off reading r.m.r.

Good luck with whatever goal you had in mind for your poll.

And thanks for all the fish.

tms

the purpose of the poll was to allow the manufacturers to see what their customers thank about what I asked in the poll.

Right now, the manufacturers looking at this poll would see a solid 75% prefer the NARMRSC be included with their kits/motors.

You would think the manufacturers, not me, would be interested in this bit of information.

If you look over at the same poll question about HPR, you'll notice that the response is somewhat different.

terry dean
nar 16158

When I was in my teens and in rocketry for the first time I pretty much ignored the safety code. It's probably the same for any casual rocketry person who isn't into organized rocketry. It might be a better idea to encourage NAR membeship with a small brochure so that people can become part of a more organized structure. I just don't believe that the safety code if something that a newbie is going to follow, unfortunately.

You would think the manufacturers, not me, would be interested in this bit of information.

I guess that depends, a manufacturer hasn't posted such a poll.

Here's an interesting way to look at it. If a manufacturer were to let a single poll here dictate how the kits are packaged, then this forum would probably have to compose a majority of that vendor's customer base. Members of this forum are more than likely already aware of the safety code, so it wouldn't be needed.

Squirrel Works has provided a copy of the safety code in each kit since day one. It's printed on the back of the face card and a bit hard to miss. I can't say if providing it influences people to follow it or not.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, or what manufacturer(s) you are aiming this toward. All the Estes and Quest kits I have within reach have the safety code. The Semroc kit within reach has it. The Pre-Estes NCR kit in the closet refers to it on the seal you had to break to get in the box.

I think all the mfgs that market to the larger market include it. The boutique mfgs aim toward a group of customers that should already be well aware of the safety code, so no need for them to have to add it.

As for NAR and Estes not getting along, that's sorta like Apple and Microsoft not getting along. A not too shabby portion of Microsoft's revenue comes from Mac owners, and Microsoft Office is still the most popular software for the Mac. In the same way, Estes' latest packaging displays the NAR logo prominently (not to mention the logo on the motors) and they resumed advertising in Sprockets years ago. They could've gone to an independent testing lab to fulfill NFPA requirements, but they still submit to the triennial NAR cert process.

i'd be more in favour of a safety code being put in with the motors you buy. i don't think it has to be a NAR safety code, because not everyone is a NAR member - i'm british!

i'd be more in favour of a safety code being put in with the motors you buy. i don't think it has to be a NAR safety code, because not everyone is a NAR member - i'm british!

We provide the safety code in the kits not as a reminder to members of NAR or any other club but more as a general guide for safe use of the product.

I don't have a problem with this poll or any other. I don't have to look at them if I don't want to. So why all the angst about polls? Do all the poll haters have someone behind them forcing them to look at them? Seems like a lot of to do over nothing.

I voted 'yep' just on principle... BUT I don't think we need another LAW to require it or other stupid things like that.... pretty soon I'll have to sign a waiver to get a Big Mac and this sort of thing is getting rediculous...

If I were a manufacturer, and knowing that manufacturers are exposed to more liability and risk of litigation if something goes wrong, I think it would be prudent and good business sense to include the safety code, at least as a little flyer inside every kit, probably combined with a NAR membership flyer printed on the same sheet, on the other vertical or horizontal half. Sure the buyer can still do something stupid, and you still might get sued by some shark lawyer, but at least in court you could demonstrate a 'good faith' effort to make the standard safety information available to the user. Certainly a better defense than nothing :) And the NAR membership flyer might help them out a bit. (Of course with the $60 membership dues it might not, but that's another story:surprised: )

Of course with the manufacturers coming out with stuff like the blurrz rocket cars and stuff like it that kinda violates the safety code, it certainly 'blurs' the line (bad pun) of what's acceptable and unacceptable. Do the rocket cars have to use a special plugged engine or something, I thought I read that somewhere. Still, I think if a manufacturer was going to make a product like that, they should make the cars rocket motors a completely dissimilar size or something that would prevent goofuses from using the car motors in a rocket, or a rocket motor in a car, and package them completely differently, and change the motor's color or something from standard rocket motor colors, just to differentiate the product. Course that also kinda invalidates the business model of introducing a new product using the same production machinery and supplies, to increase sales and production efficiency. But it's kinda hard to not look like a hypocrite when selling stuff that violates the safety code. I'm just making an example, not knocking on Estes...

JMHO! OL JR :)

I think the model rocket safety code is a good idea, and I appreciate the fact that Estes includes it in their models.

I think mandating the code is a bad idea. I think it would be in interest of manufacturers to mention, refer or quote the code.

There is no need to flame at all :) If you feel a poll is silly just dont post. It's an easy thing to vote with your fingers and post to other threads. As long as posts and threads follow the guidelines then there is not a problem. I would advice members to post to threads they enjoy and leave the content problems to mods. If a thread or post violates guidelines use the report a post function to us. We will do our best to help. There is no need whatsover to be ignorant. Another idea is start a thread of your own on topics you like about rockets. Show a photo of your favourite :) I think starting a thread with a funny video like Don or a great build thread we are seeing from some of the new folks and senior board members is a great idea. By the way Hill there was nothing wrong with your post. It provided a logical segway for me to make a point :)
I think including the code is a good idea and a lot of manufacturers do that. Mandating it by law would be difficult to enforce and probably not practical but I can respect the intent behind such a thought :)
Cheers
Fred

I am not sure it would do much one way ot the other. I barely read the instructions, much less all the other stuff that comes in the box/bag.

Plus the MRSC is not very interesting.

Back