Altimiter Port Placement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robshe01

Reaction score
Quick question for the group.

I am making some modifications to a 4in rocket and have decided to put an altimiter bay in the nosecone. Basically I am cutting off the bottom of the cone and epoxying in a 38mm motor mount tube to hold my altimiter and rocket tracker.

My question is on the vent holes for the altimiter. Does it matter if I drill the holes toward the front of the nosecone on the part that is sloped or do the holes have to be at the base where the diameter is not increasing.

Seems like a stupid question, but I think someone was warning me once, not to put an altimeter bay between the fins of a rocket because the uneven airflow coming throught the fins may cause incorrect pressure readings.

Also is their any issue of putting a walston rocket transmitter in close proximaty to a missile works RRC2 mini.

Any thoughs or comments?

Quick question for the group.

I am making some modifications to a 4in rocket and have decided to put an altimiter bay in the nosecone. Basically I am cutting off the bottom of the cone and epoxying in a 38mm motor mount tube to hold my altimiter and rocket tracker.

My question is on the vent holes for the altimiter. Does it matter if I drill the holes toward the front of the nosecone on the part that is sloped or do the holes have to be at the base where the diameter is not increasing.

Seems like a stupid question, but I think someone was warning me once, not to put an altimeter bay between the fins of a rocket because the uneven airflow coming throught the fins may cause incorrect pressure readings.

Also is their any issue of putting a walston rocket transmitter in close proximaty to a missile works RRC2 mini.

Any thoughs or comments?

I don't know the answer to your question, but if uneven airflow is a concern, then you might want to put the altimeter further down the airframe of the rocket. I think the standard rule of thumb for baro units is at least 3 calibers of straight surface for altimeters. Accelerometers on the other hand don't usually have this as a requirement.

I don't know the answer to your question, but if uneven airflow is a concern, then you might want to put the altimeter further down the airframe of the rocket. I think the standard rule of thumb for baro units is at least 3 calibers of straight surface for altimeters. Accelerometers on the other hand don't usually have this as a requirement.

I have seen nosecone baro mounted alts work just fine. The vents should be near the base of the nosecone.

If the altimeter is designed well, it should be immune to an RF source close by. I am not convinced that all commercial alts are designed well. Ask your manufacturer.

I am also building a alt bay but in a Astrobee Hi 1:6. I have a PerfectFlite minialt/wd. I also want to place it in a small diameter (29mm) tube under the nose cone. However, I am not sure that it will function correctly in a small volume transition piece close the the NC. I am also worried that pressures generated by the ejection forces can quickly compress the tube and alter the bar. pressure inside and therfore the data. Another idea would be to just bite the bullet and cut the tube below the NC and make a full size dia. bay. I am not sure which way is better??
jer

If the 29mm tube is solid, it should not compress.

However, you want to be sure to vent the tube to the outside and not let ejection gasses enter it. Usually this is easiest to implement by cutting the body tube and creating a payload section for the altimeter.

Back