Installing rail buttons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj94

Reaction score
I need a way to find out an easy, cheap,strong, and light way to install rail buttons. This will be for a TARC rocket. Does anyone have any good ideas? I still have access to the motor mount/fin can because I didn't install the aft centering ring yet. Thank you.

All I do on LPR and MPR is to drill a hole, 1/8" normally, and apply a drop or two of CA to the hole and a little around it and screw the rail button in until it just starts to tighten. I haven't had a problem yet.

Look in high power I just answered this question.

Oh, I didn't see that thread.:rolleyes: Well, that looks like a great way to install them, but I'm really starting to worry about weight on the rocket. We may have to switch over to a G motor, but before we do that, I'd like to try to save as much weight as possible. Do you think nuts will work in place of the T-nuts? I figure that if I find a supplier with aluminum nuts, I can replace the T-nuts for a lightweight installation.

I posted this in the HPR thread and I will here also . This is from the Railbutton.com web site. simple reading https://www.railbuttons.com/rb/articles.asp

I may consider drilling into one of the centering rings, but I would still like a technique for installing a railbutton into a tube without any centering rings or bulkhead. I want the forward railbutton higher up the rocket, on one of the payload bays. As a last resort, I will drill into a section of the payload bay that has a coupler in it for extra support and I will wick the hole with CA and just screw the button in.

P.S. Are there any suppliers of aluminum screws/nuts? We still need to install some things on the rocket that will be using screws and/or nuts while being weight conscious.

Oh, I didn't see that thread. Well, that looks like a great way to install them, but I'm really starting to worry about weight on the rocket. We may have to switch over to a G motor, but before we do that, I'd like to try to save as much weight as possible. Do you think nuts will work in place of the T-nuts? I figure that if I find a supplier with aluminum nuts, I can replace the T-nuts for a lightweight installation.

I use the t-nuts in place of regular nuts as they will have more area to glue down and they don't weigh any more than regular nuts. If you have access to the inside of your airframe just drill your hole for the rail button and install the rail button, tightening it down will seal the face of the t-nut to the inside of the tubing. Then just put some epoxy around it, once it cures you can remove the rail button. Don't forget to rap a little tape around the threaded hole on the t-nut so epoxy does not get in the threads. This is also easer than trying to glue a regular nut in place. The picture is a little blurry but it shows how to orient the t-nut, t-nut on the inside -rail button on the outside. Works great for hatches too.
DSCF0723.jpg

I may consider drilling into one of the centering rings, but I would still like a technique for installing a railbutton into a tube without any centering rings or bulkhead. I want the forward railbutton higher up the rocket, on one of the payload bays. As a last resort, I will drill into a section of the payload bay that has a coupler in it for extra support and I will wick the hole with CA and just screw the button in.

P.S. Are there any suppliers of aluminum screws/nuts? We still need to install some things on the rocket that will be using screws and/or nuts while being weight conscious.

If you really concerned about weight, there is really no need for a nut of any kind to hold the button on the rocket. A little CA or epoxy will be more than enough to get the job done. Unless you have a REALLY heavy rocket this is more than enough. Since this a TARC rocket, I know it's not that heavy!;)

I rebuilt a rocket that had buttons attached with CA and it was tough to get them unscrewed to put on the new rocket.

Back