First High Power build.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky 94

Reaction score
I am starting my first high power bird. Is there anything special I should need to know first.

oh wow, first you need to read through some good text such as some highpower rocketry books or www.infocentral.org...

But one thing I learned from all the more experienced hpr fliers is to not feel like you need to overbuild. I thought that with hpr your rocket needed a lot more strength than mpr and thats not necessarily true. Just make sure the bottom centering ring is glued firmly to the motormount and firmly to the airframe.

Also, make sure you take your time and do it right.

Give us a little more info. Is it a scratch? kit? Do you have an Rsim? Then TRF can give you some help more specific to your build :)

Ben

It is a BSD Sprint, no RocSim,

Have been working on a couple of scratchs but they are really only made for mid power.

Also, What is the difference strength wise between 15 and 30min epoxy?

My advise would be do not worry about over building!!! As you get more experience you can always change your building techniques as you learn where strength is needed. The number one goal should be to build it so that you have a successful launch and recovery it so that you can fly it again!!

By the way I am still learning myself the definition of over build

Have fun and good luck!!!

Another bit of advice I would give is to keep it simple in the beginning. As you gain experience then you can go to more complex rockets and electronics.

Another bit of advice I would give is to keep it simple in the beginning. As you gain experience then you can go to more complex rockets and electronics.

Exactly. You know the difference between the bigger rockets and the smaller rockets? Bigger, heavier parts. That's it. They assemble pretty much the same way.

Certainly keep the build simple and read a lot of build threads. Also, Mark Canepa wrote a great book called Modern High Power Rocketry 2 that I think every high powered rocketeer should have in their library.

And don't hesitate to ask questions! Most of us are here to help!

Dont go mad on the painting, I spent hours filling and sanding not to mention a small fortune on spray paint. Yes it had a finish like glass, but first flight and there were chips and scuffs.

Just make it neat and tidy, the odd run or high spot wont affect performance.

Good luck, and most of all enjoy.

Dont go mad on the painting, I spent hours filling and sanding not to mention a small fortune on spray paint. Yes it had a finish like glass, but first flight and there were chips and scuffs.

Just make it neat and tidy, the odd run or high spot wont affect performance.

Good luck, and most of all enjoy.

I agree. Just build the rocket per the instructions. Get used to epoxy. You will naturally want to say "I can make that better or do this here" Then post in the build thread and get our opinion if you want. I build a PML AMRAAM 2 as my first HPR rocket. I build that thing like a tank! It still flies great after 25plus flights, and a rebuild on some of it.

Just have fun!!

Ben

Wow, this is great info. Ok, so I will try to make a run and get some 30 minute epoxy.

So far I have got the motor mount nearly done. Sorry, no pics yet.

Also one more question, this rocket is going to be for my JRL1, so what do I need to do for that?

What SpartaChris said. Get Modern High-Power Rocketry 2! Apogee has it for around 35 bucks or so. It's worth every penny towards "Logical Assumption Mistakes/Build Regrets" you may incure constructing your rocket.

I agree 100%! Mark's book is a "must have". Best 35 bux I ever spent...

Mike

Wow, this is great info. Ok, so I will try to make a run and get some 30 minute epoxy.

So far I have got the motor mount nearly done. Sorry, no pics yet.

Also one more question, this rocket is going to be for my JRL1, so what do I need to do for that?

I just built a rocket for my L1 and 2 that took a K695 with no issues.

I had 3 glues in it - JB weld for the aeropack retainer (that thing is worth it's weight in gold, by the way.) and 5 or 30 min epoxy depending on the location I was using it. The majority of it was 5 minute barring the places where I needed more time to get all the glue on - such as putting the MMT with rings attached in at the same time. I needed the extra time just to get all the glue in place. Almost everything else got 5 minutes and it didn't have any issues at all.

I'd get a variety of times if you can afford to - 5, 15, 30. And get that book. Great info all through that thing!

Lucky,

Look into the requirements for a JRL1. I think part of them is that the person you'll be flying with be atleast a senior L1. Who are you going to get to be your senior L1? Are you planning on going for your JRL1 in Muncie?

-Aaron

Wear gloves when you work with epoxy. Use a ventilated room. Be patient.

Aaron, I won't be able to cert with this rocket till October, but yes, I was hoping to bribe my parents to take me up to Muncie to fly.

Just recently made a run over to the hospitale and got some gloves for epoxy, so I should be set for this project.

Lucky,
I'd suggest getting that book too, but I don't have it :surprised: I must be the only rocketeer on TRF without it. I actually don't own a single HPR book except for propellant books. I just read a lot of build threads, visited a lot of people's rocketry sites etc.. Had my L1 about 3 months into flying rockets. had my L2 the next month.

I'd suggest building it real light yet strong, however I don't build anything light
:lol: I'm a tank builder. I like to have my rockets around for a long time and be able to repair them instead of recycling a couple of parts.

Basically I don't have much to offer you for advice, just a different point of view than the typical.. Read a lot, follow your instructions, make good fillets, make a check list for preparartion of flight, hold your breath, cross your fingers.. and breathe dangit!!! hehehe... Just have fun mostly.

Brent

I would actually use wood glue. I was skeptical when I first heard of using it for HPR, but it worked out great on my BSD 4" Horizon. It's just as strong as epoxy for wood/paper joints, but it is safer, cheaper, and less messy. Wood glue is also slightly flexible, so you won't get cracked fillets. I use Titebond II, but any quality wood glue will work.

I think I still used epoxy to attach the motor mount, but I'm not sure. Epoxy will give you some extra time to position it, and you won't have the risk of the glue "grabbing" before you get the motor mount all the way in.

No mater what glue you use, it is a good idea to sand off most or all of the glassine on the tube where the fillet goes.

Thanks for the the assurance on wood glue. Do you think if would be fine for attaching the fins, as long as I use epoxy fillets?

Thanks for the the assurance on wood glue. Do you think if would be fine for attaching the fins, as long as I use epoxy fillets?

Good wood glue, when used correctly, will be extremely strong. As long as you use thin and layered fillets, your rocket will rock solid, as strong as it would've been with epoxy minus the weight.

I have a sprint that I am planning to JR cert with and If the weather does not clear I might be forced up to muncie.I use 5minute epoxy the whole way, its rock solid and light. If you want to know some altitudes an h180 gets it 2700 feet and an ellis I69 and it hits 3500! I have only flown it on a g64-4, perfect delay and well in sight:D.
I agree on the paint thing also, with the kits decals I sprayed one coat of primer and one of black paint and it looks awsome:cool:.

I love my SPRINT. It flies wonderfully on an H128. I think you picked an excellent rocket to start in HPR.
Here is a picture of mine:
taleof2sprints.jpg

I have a sprint that I am planning to JR cert with and If the weather does not clear I might be forced up to muncie.I use 5minute epoxy the whole way, its rock solid and light. If you want to know some altitudes an h180 gets it 2700 feet and an ellis I69 and it hits 3500! I have only flown it on a g64-4, perfect delay and well in sight:D.
I agree on the paint thing also, with the kits decals I sprayed one coat of primer and one of black paint and it looks awsome:cool:.

Ok, so 15min won't be a problem at all than.

Where in IN are you, or, which neighboring state. Maybe i will see at the next AMOREA launch?

Once again, thank you everyone for the assurance on this.

Almost got the fillets done on the Sprint. Will try to post pics in a little while.

I dont usually fly up there and I have plans other wise on the day of AMOREA.
But like I said I could end up there if I dont cert at LDRS 27:D. I acually love the feild (I was at NSL) if it was a shorter drive I would be there every launch. When is the next HPR launch after AMOREA?
good luck on those fillets, just remeber taping the tube you dont want epoxy on makes life easier.

Fillets are done. All she needs now is paint.

BTW, Landshark, did you guys tent at NSL?

Back