Using a Transolve P6 and Airstart Board

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f16fan12

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone has made something that dual deployed with an altimeter/timer and also airstarted other motors, with just one set of electronics. I'm thinking about buying a Transolve p-6 and airstart board and trying out both airstarting and dual deployment, but I'm not sure if it'd work. If the airstart board and altimeter are in the payload bay, which is generally far forward, how could igniters reach all the way down to ignite the motors?

Thanks a lot,
Jesse

1 G Wiz LCX will accomplish all of the above if you can find one, people were asking questions awhile ago if they still were in business. I have 1 and have used it several times for dual deployment but I've never tried the stage/airstart feature.
It's pretty easy to run some conduit through the centering rings and next to your motor-tube to rune wires unless the rocket is already built.

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone has made something that dual deployed with an altimeter/timer and also airstarted other motors, with just one set of electronics. I'm thinking about buying a Transolve p-6 and airstart board and trying out both airstarting and dual deployment, but I'm not sure if it'd work. If the airstart board and altimeter are in the payload bay, which is generally far forward, how could igniters reach all the way down to ignite the motors?

Thanks a lot,
Jesse

The combo of the P6 and an airstart board is made to do just that. But yes, you will want to run conduit through the centering ring section to get the wires down to the ignitors.

So are you saying that I should mount both the altimeter and airstart board next to each other, in the e-bay, and run the igniter wires approximately 3 feet down to the motors? Are igniters with leads that long sold, or will I need to make my own?
And I feel like the G-Wiz is just too expensive, but it does look pretty nice. Getting the P6 and airstart board will allow me to put one or the other in if I ever want to just do one thing.

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse

There are lots of alternatives for dual deploy, airstarts and such. When you lay out your project plans, be sure to look for places that you would need to allow the wiring to disconnect if necessary.

In other words, does the airstart igniter wire need a break point for a zipperless fin can? If the wire does not separate, will the deployment work correctly?

Running long leads for the igniter is generally not a problem for the electronics or the igniter, however using a "conduit" really helps to manage the wiring and not let it get tangled in the recovery gear.

If you plan to do a lot of staged, clustered or complex flights, you may want to look at a programmable flight controller that can manage all of the functions with one piece of electronics.

Mission Control Flight Controller
www.rinconrocketry.com

John

Back