Home Printed Waterslide Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary7

Reaction score
I found some Testors Waterslide Decal Paper online. Has anyone used these products? I am talking about waterslide decals you print with your ink jet printer. Your opinion or any cautions about using home printed waterslide decals would be great.

I use Testors all the time (it`s the only brand my local HS carries) and have never had a problem with the product.I don`t do anything fancy,mostly just wordpad stuff in various fonts and colors.I always do a pre-print on regular paper to see if everything is lined up ,then print away.After printing ,I let them sit a couple days (just my preference) then clear coat them with Testors clear lacquer or Testors Decal Bonder (same suff).I pin the decal sheet on cardboard(keeps the paper flat) then apply 3-4 light coats ,letting them dry 5 minutes beteen each.After the last coat,I let them sit for a few days (again ,just what I do)before I use them.
I then dip them in warm water for 10 seconds ,place them on a wet sponge for a minute then apply as per usual.I cut the decals very close to the edge of the printing,then clip all the corners off to prevent them from curling on themselves.After a day or two I clear coat as usual.I have never used a Micro-sol/Micro-set solution on them,so i cannot comment on this ,but i have used Future floor finish as a setting solution (as well as on silkscreen ,Alps etc) with very good success...then clear coating with Future over the entire rocket (smaller rockets in my case)
The thing to remember is,the more coats of bonder you apply to the decals,the thicker they will appear to be ,so keep it light.I think Micro-scale makes a bonder also, but you would have to spray it on ,as brushing will smear the ink.

HTH

Paul

I had a weird thing happenedd to my inkjet water slide decals. I was out in the
rain flying, and the decals started to run.:eek: I don't under stand how they
can run in the rain, but not in the water to soften the glue.:confused2:

I have used the testors with no problems, and only use a light coat of their setting clear coat, before cutting and applying. Couple of things to remember
1. Inkjet inks are not solid, so if you use the clear decal paper, the decal may not be "bright" enough to see on certain colors. Kind of like looking through colored glass, to the paint that is behind it.
2. If you use the white paper, the decal will look ok, but depending on how close you can cut it, or get the background color to match your paint, as to how much it will stand out.

As examples, all but the Jet Intake, USA, and the USAF on this are Testors decal white paper, you can see in the second picture the background boarder around the "Indian"

P4291225.JPG

P4291228.JPG

tail-art-l.jpg

I've used Bel decal paper with good success. You will get mixed opinions here about Bel paper. I bought a good supply about 5 years ago so I don't have any experience with recent supplies.

I've used both Krylon Crystal Clear acrylic and Rustoleum Crystal Clear enamel as a topcoat. I personally like the Rustoleum better but it takes longer to dry.

I scanned the sticker sheet on my Space Ship One and made waterslides for it as an example.

SS1_2.jpg

SS1_3.JPG

Back