"Green Monkey Aerospace"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wimpy Red works just fine. I have my doubts about Ti working for a sparky. in the 4" motor with WR I run a nozzle around .093 this is a 6 grain motor. kind of small throat for tossing out sparks.

Now for the sales pitch.
(lie on)
"I bet you can make it work." :D
(lie on\)

-Neil

'Everclear' might make for a nice load as well...now you see it, now you don't.

Johnnie

Wimpy Red works just fine. I have my doubts about Ti working for a sparky. in the 4" motor with WR I run a nozzle around .093 this is a 6 grain motor. kind of small throat for tossing out sparks.

Now for the sales pitch.
(lie on)
"I bet you can make it work." :D
(lie on\)

-Neil

With a motor this small - just ram a sparkler inside - the sparkler will provide the sparks and the thrust.... :lol:

Thanks Tim,

I have been lurking for a while now. I saw the posts about GMA and thought I should respond. This is a very nice forum. I will try my best to add to it.

-Neil

Neil , don't be a stranger here and please keep us updated on your stuff. This looks like the ground floor of something really neat!

It won't work, The Ti will not be able to fit through the nozzle.

JD

whats the finest you can get Ti in? There must be something you can use. Might not have that much spark but atleast some smoke.
Ben

Why not use magnesium, it can come in a powder... it will burn and sparkle

Hi All,
Wow thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you all like them. The cases are 6061 aluminum as are the forward closures. The paper is from another supplier.
Yes the company is real however I have a limited supply of kits right now. I wanted to play things by ear on the first run because you can’t eat motor hardware. I like the 13mm stuff but I did admit I’m a little different.
This line of motors was greatly influenced by Stuart Leslie and James Yawn's work. I read there pages and made my own 13mm hardware. I decided to make hardware to sell after being asked by more than one person if I would be willing to sell them my set. I love research rocketry and little motors so I guess the rest is history.
I have flown R-candy reloads and wimpy red. Making the wimpy red reloads is cake. A Bick pen is the perfect ram rod. I mix the propellant in a paper bowl. In an hour I can mix and pack 9 to 12 reloads worth of propellant. Edward is right the igniter's are the key and they are enameled magnet wire. Twisted sanded then dipped in a conductive pyrogen.
I wasn’t trying to remain a mystery man but thanks for not outing me Ed. My name is Neil Kinney most probably know my wife Nadine. I’m very proud to be Mr. Photos by Nadine. If I can be of help please let me know. Thanks.
-Neil

Thanks posting Neil. I think I will buy a 13mm set. I have tested and flown
24mm EX but nothing smaller. Looking forward to your 18mm set.

William

Neil

Very nice cases. It's a limited market, but ...........

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks Bob for the good wishes. I like research stuff and I got the lathe to make my own hardware and now I’m hooked. Metal working is a hobby in itself.

I’m not doing this to get rich I make a lot more as a programmer. I just want to help and its fun for me. Plus if I only work on stuff I like all my R&D is paid for. So by selling stuff I would make anyway I get a free ride on my hobby. Make 3 keep 1 it’s a win win for me. Plus there is a not so small pride factor of “I made that.”

-Neil

I updated the site with a crappy pic of the prototype 18mm hardware. I shot it with my phone. Now you see why I married Nadine. Photography is not my bag baby.

-Neil

I updated the site with a crappy pic of the prototype 18mm hardware. I shot it with my phone. Now you see why I married Nadine. Photography is not my bag baby.

-Neil

ah, she had the best photos of her on myspace eh ? :rotflol:

Ben

P.S. just messing, she is amazing with that camera! Maked me think W9 motors were made as a challenge for her not for rockets.

-Neil

Crappy or not, that is intriguing enough to want more...nice design, do you have a price range for the 18mm Set?

Johnnie

Crappy or not, that is intriguing enough to want more...nice design, do you have a price range for the 18mm Set?

Johnnie

I agree! I like that machined thrust ring. Very cool.

Ben

JD,

Well I’m still working some things. It will have a aluminum Aerotech nozzle holder and the typical graphite nozzle. No prices just yet but it should be right around the 13mm stuff. Some parts are easier to machine and others require more work. Turning down the tube to 18mm is more work but no groove for a thrust ring is needed.

The 18mm will be out soon. I just want to play first. I don’t want to be out apologizing for making crap. I also plan on busting some of them up as well. Can you say 18 go boom. I also need to make more 13mm stuff so I can sell them 1 motor at a time and as cluster sets.

-Neil

These are just down right cool! I don't see the practicality of the product, who cares!...but I would still want a set to make some killer loads for...Reds, Blues, Smokies, WL clone etc. etc.

13mm and 18mm reloadables!!

Johnnie

I think these are way cool. I can't tell you how many times after casting grains for my 75/7800 EX motor that I always have left over AP. More than enough to fill a couple of 18mm ex motors. I'm getting two sets of three in the clusters, when they come out then my 12 year old daughter can injoy a EX day with her 18 mm stuff. I stayed up till 4am today working on a new kno3 sparky motor in 75mm and 54 mm and tested a couple of grains and it looks really good. I test really late at knight now because when I started playing with ex a few years back, I tested a 75mm 6 grain kno3 motor on a Saturday around noon. No big deal almost no flame but a S#$T load of white smoke filled the block. Needless to say some called the fire dept and they came right to my door so someone ratted me out. For the most part I have great neibors but there is always that one. So I showed them what I was doing/making and they all thought it was pretty cool but because of the Aerotech fire they act a little goofy when the word ROCKET is mentioned. What I could not beleive is what the batalion cheif told me next, Well you look like you know what you are doing here and you have a nice set up and looks like you have some safty in mind but if I were you, I would do your test burns late at night or in the pre-dawn hours where the smoke is harder to see or you can test them in the desert, Have a nice day. And they left, So now that's when I test unless I'm going to a EX launch then I'll test there. Scott :rotflol:

Do you anodize yourself?

One time, it hurt so I stopped. ;) Just goofing. I did try home anodizing but I didn’t like the results I got. I also don’t like the chemicals around my house.

I take all my stuff to a shop here in town. They have a 2-3 day turnaround and best of all It looks professional because it is.

-Neil

It looks like lots of folks want the 18mm stuff. All of this in spite of the well known fact that I think the 13mm stuff is 5mm cooler. :cool:

-Neil

It looks like lots of folks want the 18mm stuff. All of this in spite of the well known fact that I think the 13mm stuff is 5mm cooler. :cool:

-Neil

Its that whole High Power Thing...

Johnnie

-Neil

Maybe it's the fact that they can simply pop in some AT grains instead of making their own. I also want the 18mm stuff but I'm too young to do EX with a club and my parents don't trust me to do it on my own.

Maybe it's the fact that they can simply pop in some AT grains instead of making their own. I also want the 18mm stuff but I'm too young to do EX with a club and my parents don't trust me to do it on my own.

Even my parents wont let me do EX (yet ;) ) I do plan on getting an 18mm set.

Ben

Just got my three case set in the mail today. They look neat and professionally
done and am looking forward to the 18 mm one's. Can't wait to try the 13 mm
cases I just got. Niel was quick to get them out.

Thanks Niel.

William

For those of you who have ordered these motor systems, how are you planning on ensuring recovery of the little? rockets and thusly the motor system?

With bigger rockets, you can use beepers/buzzers/bigredbee's to help locate the rocket, plus just having a large rocket makes it easier to see where it lands. But smaller rockets can be lost easily.

Back