"Green Monkey Aerospace"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnie

Reaction score
These are just down right cool! I don't see the practicality of the product, who cares!...but I would still want a set to make some killer loads for...Reds, Blues, Smokies, WL clone etc. etc.

13mm and 18mm reloadables!!

Johnnie

Actually that is pretty cool.

Regarding applicability? Maybe it's for those that only have an RX-8 to pack their launch gear? Or, how about the Hobbit market?

Seriously though, I'd like to see the 18mm and hybrid offerings.

I wounder if the 18mm you could make loads like the old aerotech E-45, and F-55.

I've seen these things fly :) They are pretty nice! You can make some saucer shredders from them :) I believe at one time to the reloads used were just pyrodex pellets :)

Edward

I'm sorely tempted, but would wait for the 18mm. I guess there's no longer any excuse to get jealous over rocketjunkie's G40s :) Oh, wait, you still have to know how to design the motor and ignite the skinny bugger. Rats, the devil is always in the details.

I've seen these things fly :) They are pretty nice! You can make some saucer shredders from them :) I believe at one time to the reloads used were just pyrodex pellets :)

Edward

Can you confirm? That would be cool..and easy!

The igniters used were very very thin enameled magnet wire. That looked to be the hardest part.

Edward

The cases look cool but they don't have 18mm yet.

Has anyone ordered from them? I was just wondering if they are legit.

My buddy has made me some homemade 24 mm cases but 18 and 13 are
hard to make and I have not asked him to do them. The nozzles and
closures are most difficult because of their small size, takes a small lathe.

I also wonder what tubes they use for their 13 mm cases for liners and casting.
Can you get them anywhere or just from them? I would want that question
answered before I bought a set. Maybe I will e-mail them about that.

William

They are legit. I know they person who makes them, but since his name isn't on the website I'll not mention it since it isn't mentioned. I'm sure you'll get a response if you e-mail him - I forget what he used for liners.

Edward

Are you sposed to make your own fuel?

And if so where do i get info on making that.

The cases look cool.....
I also wonder what tubes they use for their 13 mm cases for liners and casting.
Can you get them anywhere or just from them? I would want that question
answered before I bought a set. Maybe I will e-mail them about that.

William

You know, it would be cool to have certed 13mm reloadables. Think what our Internats Team could do with them!:)

Edward

Interesting - I've heard nothing but negatives about Pyrodex as a propellant (pressure sensitive, temp sensitive, ect.) can it be used as a model rocket reload and can a company get that certified?

It hardly seems practical. It's hard enough to pack 29mm reloads.

JD

True but they could be fun. Cheap enough to try and make a sparky and if you blow the case its not THAT much.

Ben

Edward

Are you sure? In a moment of poor judgment I took a couple of pyrodex pellets left over from some engine testing and put the in a spent Estes casing. The result was most definitely not a rocket engine.

I emailed them and got the following response:

"The casings are for research motors so you make the reload (AP, AN, KNO3). I do supply the casting tubes, liner tubes, o-rings, … "

Are you sure? In a moment of poor judgment I took a couple of pyrodex pellets left over from some engine testing and put the in a spent Estes casing. The result was most definitely not a rocket engine.

I saw the 13mm motors with 2 pyrodex pellets as the grains. I don't know if they were inhibited along the outer surfaces but he did fly them.

Edward

Hi All,

Wow thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you all like them. The cases are 6061 aluminum as are the forward closures. The paper is from another supplier.

Yes the company is real however I have a limited supply of kits right now. I wanted to play things by ear on the first run because you can’t eat motor hardware. I like the 13mm stuff but I did admit I’m a little different.

This line of motors was greatly influenced by Stuart Leslie and James Yawn's work. I read there pages and made my own 13mm hardware. I decided to make hardware to sell after being asked by more than one person if I would be willing to sell them my set. I love research rocketry and little motors so I guess the rest is history.

I have flown R-candy reloads and wimpy red. Making the wimpy red reloads is cake. A Bick pen is the perfect ram rod. I mix the propellant in a paper bowl. In an hour I can mix and pack 9 to 12 reloads worth of propellant. Edward is right the igniter's are the key and they are enameled magnet wire. Twisted sanded then dipped in a conductive pyrogen.

I wasn’t trying to remain a mystery man but thanks for not outing me Ed. My name is Neil Kinney most probably know my wife Nadine. I’m very proud to be Mr. Photos by Nadine. If I can be of help please let me know. Thanks.

-Neil

I emailed them and got the following response:

"The casings are for research motors so you make the reload (AP, AN, KNO3). I do supply the casting tubes, liner tubes, o-rings, … "

Ok I am sending him an E-mail about the 18mm cases. I just might have to make a 18mm sparky.

Ben

Hi All,

Wow thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you all like them. The cases are 6061 aluminum as are the forward closures. The paper is from another supplier.

Yes the company is real however I have a limited supply of kits right now. I wanted to play things by ear on the first run because you can’t eat motor hardware. I like the 13mm stuff but I did admit I’m a little different.

This line of motors was greatly influenced by Stuart Leslie and James Yawn's work. I read there pages and made my own 13mm hardware. I decided to make hardware to sell after being asked by more than one person if I would be willing to sell them my set. I love research rocketry and little motors so I guess the rest is history.

I have flown R-candy reloads and wimpy red. Making the wimpy red reloads is cake. A Bick pen is the perfect ram rod. I mix the propellant in a paper bowl. In an hour I can mix and pack 9 to 12 reloads worth of propellant. Edward is right the igniter's are the key and they are enameled magnet wire. Twisted sanded then dipped in a conductive pyrogen.

I wasn’t trying to remain a mystery man but thanks for not outing me Ed. My name is Neil Kinney most probably know my wife Nadine. I’m very proud to be Mr. Photos by Nadine. If I can be of help please let me know. Thanks.

-Neil

Neil whats the ETA on 18mm hardware? Or maybe an exclusive set for me? I am very interested in mixing some for use with 18mm, gotta start somewhere.

Ben

Neil,

Welcome and thanks for sharing! Look forward to keeping us up on Green Monkey!

-Tim

Hi All,

-Neil

Welcome Neil and Nadine (even if she doesn't post)

The concept is pretty neat, you might get overwhelmed by the orders as there seems to be quite the interest.

How did the Wimpy Red do in the motor cases?...Nadine got any pics?

'rocketjunkie' a.k.a. Tom Binford I believe has a 13 or 18mm D-class reloadable of his own...I imagine he might chime in here too.

Johnnie

Thanks Tim,

I have been lurking for a while now. I saw the posts about GMA and thought I should respond. This is a very nice forum. I will try my best to add to it.

Ben the 18mm stuff will be out some time mid summer. I’m trying to make them compatible with the Aerotech motors. That way you can just buy their grains and re drill the nozzles for say a 3 or 4-grain white lightning. Also it’s a great supply for paper if you want to cast something you brew. I’m still working on the final fit and sizes. They will look very similar to the 13mm except they will have a shoulder machined into the casing as a thrust ring. I’ll post some pics soon on the web site.

-Neil

Thanks Tim,

I have been lurking for a while now. I saw the posts about GMA and thought I should respond. This is a very nice forum. I will try my best to add to it.

Ben the 18mm stuff will be out some time mid summer. I’m trying to make them compatible with the Aerotech motors. That way you can just buy their grains and re drill the nozzles for say a 3 or 4-grain white lightning. Also it’s a great supply for paper if you want to cast something you brew. I’m still working on the final fit and sizes. They will look very similar to the 13mm except they will have a shoulder machined into the casing as a thrust ring. I’ll post some pics soon on the web site.

-Neil

Now you have really got my attention. IMHO that's a smart move!

Neil, sounds like interesting stuff. I've been playing with homemade C motors and haven't had much success. Will have to get one of your fine GREEN sets.

Back