Perfectflite MAWD MAC HELP

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sig

Reaction score
I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
Attempting to connect the MAWD to my MAC using a USB connection kit. The documentation says if the driver software is not installed correctly that when there will be a warning which I do NOT get.
BUT there is always a BUT right!
When I attempt to run the MAWD data capture it does NOT see see my USB port to allow me to connect.

I am running a MacBook Pro with OS X version 10.4.11

The USB Serial drivers is in my application folder and I did reboot.

The MAWD data capture software is in the same folder.

Any thoughts appreciated. I am suspecting the driver is not installed correctly maybe in the wrong folder.

thanks
michael

Back from a long two week road trip and went to the PerfectFlite support email response. Found out PerfectFlite does not really support Mac, hmmmmm started to worry. They directed me to a another vendors website to install the correct drivers which I did, but more worry.

For others future reference.

After fixing the driver issue and thus finally getting the Comm port to recognize and see the USB port, I then kept missing one crucial step.

You know how it works never ask for directions right?!!

Anyway the step I missed is when to boot the altimeter which is done after all connections are made, then the software started, then the Comm port (USB) selected. After that boot the altimeter and before all the beeps stop, select Data acquire. Everything worked fine after that.

Where did you go to acquire the correct driver? I am going to be using a MAC also and haven't even turned mine on yet. So, all those steps you mentioned, it's done once and then works without going through all that again?

Thanks,
Mike

I just checked my files, and I have version 1.1, which was made in 2005. Gonna see if the disc that came with the linkup set has a different version. Version 1.1 was downloaded from Perfectflite.

Ok, I just checked the disc that came with the USB interface and it has two different versions of software for the MAC, one for OS 9 and one for OSX. There also doesn't seem to be any instructions for the OSX version, so I am unsure where to put the USB driver for it.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Here is the text of the email from PerfectFlite Support.

The USB driver self installs.

In it they pointed to another website for the drivers which finally worked for me. There were drivers for the Mac on the disk which I thought I installed. As for the drivers supplied on the disk they either were not installed or just did not work correctly. The reason I know it was a driver issue is because the software did not see the USB port.

So the steps once you do have the software and Mac driver installed.

Insert USB cable and connect that special 5 pin connector to the MAWD. After that open the software. When that opens select from the menu at the top Altimeter and then CommPort. If it has the drivers installed correctly it will see the USB port, selecting that. Then power up the MAWD and before it stops beeping from the menu bar at the top select Data and Acquire.

Worked fine for me once I did it in that sequence.

Date: February 12, 2008 10:05:47 PM CST
To:
Subject: Re: MAWD data capture with a MAC

The Mac OS X version of the software is provided as unsupported software, as we do not use Mac OS X here (or have the ability to confirm proper operation with all of the various 10.0, 10.0.1, 10.0.2, ... 10.4.11 versions...).

The documentation for the Windows install mentions that you will get a message if the USB driver is not installed. No idea what Mac OS X does, but you absolutely do need to install the USB driver. If you haven't done that, then it certainly won't find anything in the Altimeter>CommPort menu.

In the manual, there is a link to the USB chip manufacturer's site for download of the latest USB drivers. Check the site for drivers appropriate to your Mac configuration, download them, and install them before running our data transfer program. The same site will also have installation instructions for the USB drivers.

Here are the links:

https://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

https://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/InstallGuides.htm

Cool! Thanks a lot. I hope to have time soon to get it all set up. Physics and calculus homework are taking up most of my time now.

Mike

Latest posts

Back