Alternate Portable Power And Air Compressor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some folks have had pretty go luck with these jump starter kits as a 12v power supply but be warned to check it out well before buying. Some of them have some sort of anti-short that prevents them from being used for launching models without some major gutting.

Persnally I've found for personal launch use one of the Hobbico 7amp/hr rechargable gel cells is less expensive and easier to carry around (smaller). I use mine for Model and MPR's up to 4 motor clusters. Add a small wall pack converted to a charger or buy an trickle charger from Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks your all set.

As far as power for a portable airbrush I can't say I've ever used a 12v compressor for such. I'd be concerned about airflow consistancy. I know my little Truck tire compressor doesn't do an efficent job of compression air to fill the tire I'm be very skeptcial of using it with my airbursh. Better to get a small shop compressor, they do a very nice job for about 100 bucks.

Gel-Cell Charger-b_HarborFrt 12-15V Charger_04-12-02.jpg

Hi BigRiJoe

I always use this type for launching. Some things to remember.

Notice the wires only go to one side of each battery clamp.
This is where you want to hook your clips to . Not to the "dead" other side of the clamp.

If your unit has an aux 12v "cigarette Lighter" (whats that?) type connection I would not use it for launching. It is usually fused and it may actually work but
the fuse actually glows red or opens during a temporary direct short and acts like a resistor and may limit the current to the igniter.

Some unit have on/off switches make sure the switch is on.
I have forgotten this on a few launches.

Use to fill the tires on your car. Draining and charging are good for the battery.

Only disadvantage for spraying is these units are very very loud when used indoors.

Good luck,
Cornyl

This is what we are useing for our club . We have two actually one for our 6 LPR rack pad and 3 MPR pads, the other supplies power for our 110/12 volt PA system. And no problems with the short issue mention in this thread.

John

DSC01132.JPG

Last edited:
Back