Lets see your casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For logical reasons, there is no case spacer to adapt a CTI Pro150 40K down to a 30K! :eek:

MK

There's no need to :)

The Pro150-40k is a Pro150-30k with a (removable) case extension. So, if you own a 40k casing, you also own a 30k casing.

Definitely. Here's a pic - you can see the case extension in front of the case.

150hw1.jpg

Last edited:
How bout NYPower 15 this year? And you could use DD to keep the rocket close to the launch site, also you can make a cheap rail launcher for $25 and a cheap tower launcher for around $10 Anyway, when the time comes I think I could get my Level one there.
Geneseo is just as far, but in a different direction. NYPOWER looks like a nice event, but the issue would be whether I could afford to book a hotel room and absorb all of the other costs of a mini-vacation. (Vacations haven't really been in the budget for about 15 years.) I wouldn't contemplate using dual deployment for my own Level 1 certification flight; I would want to keep things simple for that. Besides, I sincerely doubt that dual deployment is used very often with launches on single H motors anyway. And I already own a home-built rail launcher; I have mentioned that on the forum several times.

MK

Now I just need a mini warehouse & a building next to it with some nice display cases to show them off.....:D

I got into HP back in 1996.

JD

Mike, JD and the two Als - what are you guys doing, outfitting your entire clubs? :eyepop: Geeeez... :clap: :roll:

Don't ask me which ones in my post have actually been fired so far. I know, but I don't want to say.

Maybe as an extension, we could ask how many of yours have any of you loaded up for a one-day launch? My own answer: only one at any particular time. (My local field is right around 2 acres in size, so I can't do much big-motor launching there.)

MK

Answers inline...

Wow, lots of old motor brands that I have never heard of!

Synerjet (OK, I've heard a tiny bit about them)

APS:
Advanced Propulsion Systems 38mm to 98mm Reloads back in the late 90's

LOC made motors?
Nope just relabeled AT or ISP motors

Propulsion Industries: Maybe, maybe not ( there is a company with a similar name to it )AKA: US Rocket motors, but the real company behind it
also labeled as Congrieves ( spelling) motors & sold in the UK.

Thunderflame?

EX motor course & hardware & some SU motors...

Advanced Rocket Motors ? don't know them...

Green Dragon: That would be Green Dragon or AL & his brother

Purple Woody - I'm assuming that's an EX brand, right?

Yes lasted a few years they were purple & can be found on the net, but not available any more...

ISP - predecessor of Aerotech? Sort of... More like the Government contracting side. Stands for : Industrial Solid Propulsion

Kosdon East - predecessor of Animal Motor Works, I think.
Yes, same people involved.

I am so ignorant of HP motor history! :eek: :bang:

No one has any USR reloadable motors? :duck: See above.

MK

Here's one that I know little about but have heard of:
Prodyne ( spelling)

I saw ads in some magazines back in the 90's but never really seen any of them fly.

JD

Last edited:
Definitely. Here's a pic - you can see the case extension in front of the case.

150hw1.jpg

Please don't tell me that photo is of your own motor! :shock: :jaw:

MK

Nope. I wish....

(It's off the CTI site)

I think you should've add north coast rocketry to that list. ;)
Did they make reloadables too, in addition to their SU motors?

Also, what are the dimentions of your current launch site?
My site in Tupper Lake is about 2-1/3 acres (0.00366 sq. mi. :rolleyes: )

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think that ASTRE's main site in Johnstown is about 25 acres in size (0.039 sq. mi.), which is gargantuan compared to what I am accustomed to. The other site is slightly smaller. Both fields have occupied dwellings right on the property, which complicates things.

MK

Last edited:
"O" you mean this one! :y:

Rumor has it there might be a 8 sec. Sparky being flown in this case soon. Stay tuned. :cheers:

100_2651.jpg

100_2661.jpg

Last edited:
Will this mysterious load be flying at LDRS?

Patience grasshopper!

The question that begs answering is not where.......

..........or when.

Rather it should be WHAT .............. in ? And how big?

But as of right now......just downright blatant rumors.

If you think that's big.

This one makes it look minuscule. All I can tell you right now is this one is 300,000ft plus material!

That's a 75mm M motor next to the "O"

Shhhhhh..... you don't really see it. Just a pigment of your figmanation.

100_2589.jpg

100_2649.jpg

100_2590.jpg

Last edited:
Wait one second, on most threads about motors, what motor does Jim talk about the most? That would be the N10000 isn't it?

Wait one second, on most threads about motors, what motor does Jim talk about the most? That would be the N10000 isn't it?
That's certainly not what he is talking about here. BTW, for all of high thrust, CTI's N10000 is actually their smallest N reload. (It just barely makes it into the N category.) All of their other Ns, as well as Aerotech's N reloads, are substantially larger.

MK

That's certainly not what he is talking about here. BTW, for all of high thrust, CTI's N10000 is actually their smallest N reload. (It just barely makes it into the N category.) All of their other Ns, as well as Aerotech's N reloads, are substantially larger.

MK

Yep. It's only a couple of percent larger than the M3400 for example (which is the motor I'll be using for my L3)

Wow, lots of old motor brands that I have never heard of!

APS
LOC made motors?
Propulsion Industries
Thunderflame?
Advanced Rocket Motors
Green Dragon

ISP - predecessor of Aerotech?

I am so ignorant of HP motor history! :eek: :bang:

No one has any USR reloadable motors? :duck:

MK

I've started a new thread on hobby rocket motor manufacturer histories:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=97574#post97574

Answers inline...

Here's one that I know little about but have heard of:
Prodyne ( spelling)

I saw ads in some magazines back in the 90's but never really seen any of them fly.

JD

Prodyne was John Rakohnen ( ?sp) , one of the engineers on shuttle SRB geometry - Utah or Nevada, don;t recall for certain .
he only ever sold one motor publically, which was a K with a finocyl or star care, that started the burn nozzlesss.
I have a burnt one, but doubt any unfired still exist, not many produced.

~ AL

more info inline:

- Wayne Shaeffer (?sp ) previously Ravenna Rocket Research, late80s-early 90s single use, then reloads.

APS:
Advanced Propulsion Systems 38mm to 98mm Reloads back in the late 90's

Ron Urinsco - great stuff, Ron was an ex motor guy prior to going public with APS< think financial issues shut em down, but unsure.
good stuff, I have a few ( thier Spitfire is da bomb ;)

LOC made motors?
Nope just relabeled AT or ISP motors

- Loc made RMS motor hardware, small run, up until Aerotech asked them to stop, it was Tripoli certified in LOC hardware for a while. ( to show the casings were identical specs,and worked , I assume ) . I still have a LOC 54mm 1706 case. the contours of the forward clusure are not identical to AT, but the fit and working is the same.

Propulsion Industries: Maybe, maybe not ( there is a company with a similar name to it )AKA: US Rocket motors, but the real company behind it
also labeled as Congrieves ( spelling) motors & sold in the UK.

- PI was out of Ohio, Dave Stevens (him I recall as I had a huge crush on his daughter, lol )- think Ron of LOC was involved in the reloadables they later produced for a short period, before the company went under.

Thunderflame?

EX motor course & hardware & some SU motors...

Advanced Rocket Motors ? don't know them...

John Johnston and Rick Loer ( Rick previously of SPace Dynamics, who made huge nozzlesss motors )

Green Dragon: That would be Green Dragon or AL & his brother

and Nick Hills :)

Yes lasted a few years they were purple & can be found on the net, but not available any more...

ISP - predecessor of Aerotech? Sort of... More like the Government contracting side. Stands for : Industrial Solid Propulsion

Aerotech was first, circa 1982, Gary would have to clarify, I recall ISP being listed as parent co to AT

Yes, same people involved.

No one has any USR reloadable motors? See above.

?
USR did make reloadables, I do not have any but have seen them around, AT style casings, or USR graphite nozzle adapters to fit AT case and USR propellant, never owned one or got to measure one, but have seen a few around, so they got produced ( not vaporware )

~ AL

now moving to other thread, for more info :)

OK, so not as impressive as some of the other collections on here, but this is my 29-38mm casings in their home.

IMG_1788.jpg

Back