Lets see your casings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My collection is very modest right now but I am steadily building it up. What I have so far:

Aerotech
(Aerotech brand)
24/60
29/40-120
38/360
38mm RAS

(Rouse-Tech brand)
24/40
38/120

CTI
Pro38 1 grain

The Pro38 was my first reloadable motor; my most recent is the AT 38/360 (and the RAS).

On my shopping list: CTI Pro29 3 grain + spacers; AT/R-T 29mm RMS + RAS; more AT/R-T 24mm cases (both sizes); AT/R-T 54mm RMS + RAS; more CTI Pro38s; CTI Pro54s + spacers. Maybe some Loki motors. All as finances permit. Probably hybrids down the road.

My high power hardware will remain very limited until after I obtain L1 certification. Again, as finances permit.

Here is a picture from a couple of years ago. Not shown are the AT24/60 and 38/360 and, of course, the brand-new reload adapters.

MK

DSCF0573-cropped-TRF.jpg

Last edited:
Mike, JD and the two Als - what are you guys doing, outfitting your entire clubs? :eyepop: Geeeez... :clap: :roll:

Don't ask me which ones in my post have actually been fired so far. I know, but I don't want to say.

Maybe as an extension, we could ask how many of yours have any of you loaded up for a one-day launch? My own answer: only one at any particular time. (My local field is right around 2 acres in size, so I can't do much big-motor launching there.)

MK

Mike, JD and the two Als - what are you guys doing, outfitting your entire clubs? :eyepop: Geeeez... :clap: :roll:

Don't ask me which ones in my post have actually been fired so far. I know, but I don't want to say.

Maybe as an extension, we could ask how many of yours have any of you loaded up for a one-day launch? My own answer: only one at any particular time. (My local field is right around 2 acres in size, so I can't do much big-motor launching there.)

MK

Mark,

cool photo - artistic with the various colors :)

I'm surprised you have the 38/120 in plugged configuration,though, most starting out would still go with motor ejection.

As for how many I've loaded for a one day launch ( or weekend launch ) , not sure - maybe 10 or so, clusters of three at a time make for late night prepping.
Plan to fly a few this saturday , weather permitting, so liekly prep a few tommorrow night. will let you know ;)

~ AL

Mark,

cool photo - artistic with the various colors :)

I'm surprised you have the 38/120 in plugged configuration,though, most starting out would still go with motor ejection.

As for how many I've loaded for a one day launch ( or weekend launch ) , not sure - maybe 10 or so, clusters of three at a time make for late night prepping.
Plan to fly a few this saturday , weather permitting, so liekly prep a few tommorrow night. will let you know ;)

~ AL
It came with the motor-ejection forward closure. I bought the plugged closure soon afterward because I was using it with G69N reloads. Speaking of colors, those of you with dozens of motors could arrange them into interesting mosaics for the photos. :D

I love the fact that some folks have dozens of motors. That's where I hope to be in a few years, so those posts are very encouraging. In 10 years, when I have 75 motors, I won't feel so odd. ;)

MK

Here is what I have... the list is mostly complete although I'm sure I've missed a few casings.

AT
24/40 1x
29/40-120 3x
29/100 1x
29/120 1x
29/180 2x
29/240 2x
29/360 2x
38/120 1x
38/240 1x
38/360 1x
38/480 1x
38/600 1x
38/720 2x
38/1080 1x
54/852 1x
54/1280 1x
54/1706 1x
75/3840 1x
75/5120 1x
75/6400 1x

CTI
PRO29 2G 1x
PRO29 3G 1x
PRO29 4G 1x
29mm spacer 1x
PRO38 3G 1x
PRO38 4G 1x
PRO38 5G 1x
38mm spacer 2x
PRO75 3G 1x
75mm spacer 2x
(I have more but forget off hand exactly what I've bought)

Skyripper Hybrids
54/550cc
54/830cc
54/1130cc

LOKI
38/240 1x
38/480 1x
54/2000 1x

AMW/PRO-X
54/1050 1x
54/1400 1x
CTI AMW-PROx nozzle carrier 1x

I only have the Aerotech 38/360 with the spacers.

I'm going to post for my boyfriend, because he is busy fixing his Diab-glo. (That is one cool rocket) I am planning on getting the 54 Skyripper when I get a little extra cash.....

JClarks:
Aerotech/Rousetech:
24/40
29/40-120
38/120
38/240
38/360
38/480 x 2
54/852
54/1280
54/1706

AW:
38/390

Hybrid:

Hypreteck:
440 CC System
835 CC System
2800 CC System

Contrail
75/3600 CC

Last edited:

MK

Sometimes they get loaned out. I was also following the "who has the cheapest reloads" for awhile. So I ended up with several different brands. They each get their turn each season. At least once. Plus it gives me the ability to choose how I want my rocket to perform on a given launch day. I usually have at least one load for each of the motors on hand. Just in case.
I have the extras for doing clusters mainly.
I have 3 rockets that are 3 motors clusters(3-29mm, 3-38mm and 3-75mm)
Oh and a 2-38mm with a 54mm central that's in the build pile along with a 5 motor cluster central 75mm with 4-54mm outboards in the pile.

The most I ever loaded for a launch was probably about 8. Lately I limit myself to 3 or 4 flights per day if possible.
I was having to many crashes a few years ago because I was trying to fly too many in a day.(being distracted when prepping) I also had my young son at my ankles telling me which rocket to fly next(all of them)!

Last edited:
All I can say it WOW!:eek: After seeing some of these lists it makes my 'collection' of casings tiny!:roll: And here I had quite a few!:rolleyes:..

Well, I don't have it in a list, so I will let pictures do the talking..

1: My 18mm thru 29mm cases(an yes, one of the 29/180 cases is loaded with a G75!:p)
2: My 38mm cases
3: My 54mm cases

Soon to be getting a Pro75 6G :D THAT one should be a monster, and I thought the Pro54 6G I have was BIG..LOL

DSCF4122.JPG

DSCF4127.JPG

DSCF4130.JPG

Last edited:
I love the fact that some folks have dozens of motors. That's where I hope to be in a few years, so those posts are very encouraging. In 10 years, when I have 75 motors, I won't feel so odd. ;)

MK

Will have to see about some pics - maybe next week, after the launch and I clean them, I'll have to drag out the boxes to put away anyways ;)

Pantherjons pics are neat, too - so guess I have to get one, just for grins :)

As for having dozens of motors- all depends what you're "into", like some ppl collect 100s of kits, some have 152 parachutes, some hoard propellant, etc.
Me - being both a machinist and a lifelong 'motor guy' , am always fascinated when something new comes out, have to get at least one to check it out :), and like the variety available, so try to spread things around.

now Todd's post, having that pic of the big ones, well.... drool is right, lol :p

~ AL

Actually, with the advent of case spacers and reload adapters, someone like me who is just building up a set now will probably never need to buy quite so many motors.

MK

Actually, with the advent of case spacers and reload adapters, someone like me who is just building up a set now will probably never need to buy quite so many motors.

MK

Yes and no.
You still end up with doubles, triples if your into clustering.
Or if someone is selling their stuff at "an offer you can't refuse".
That's how I got a lot of my motors from.
Never say never.;)
I used to say that I'd never fly 54mm, and I didn't for a long time. It was either 38mm or 75mm. Then I found a deal on Gorilla motors. Which BTW, rock.

Also the 38/1080 case I have is engraved with serial number 00 and has a manufacture date of 04/98... does this mean it was the first one made?

I have a 38/720 that also is a serial number of 00. I know mine is that way because its a certification special, but I don't know about the 1080...

I have a 38/720 that also is a serial number of 00. I know mine is that way because its a certification special, but I don't know about the 1080...

My blue 29/180 has a serial number of 0001 dated 05-06:confused2: I keep it on the shelf, well, just cause!..lol

Yes and no.
You still end up with doubles, triples if your into clustering.
Or if someone is selling their stuff at "an offer you can't refuse".
That's how I got a lot of my motors from.
Never say never.;)
I used to say that I'd never fly 54mm, and I didn't for a long time. It was either 38mm or 75mm. Then I found a deal on Gorilla motors. Which BTW, rock.
Well, at least at first I might only get every third motor in each series.

I definitely know about picking up extras through deals with friends. That's how, about 10 years ago, I wound up with four Newton MessagePads.

MK

Well, at least at first I might only get every third motor in each series.

I definitely know about picking up extras through deals with friends. That's how, about 10 years ago, I wound up with four Newton MessagePads.

MK

This is what I plan to do. I'm going to get the two largest cases in the set, and with my spacers I'll have everything my boyfriend has and more. ^_^

This is what I plan to do. I'm going to get the two largest cases in the set, and with my spacers I'll have everything my boyfriend has and more. ^_^

I think they're only certified for 2 spacers. Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to fly a 2 grain H in a 6 grain case with 4 spacers. You'd be lifting a lot of extra aluminum, decreasing performance significantly.

I think they're only certified for 2 spacers. Besides, I'm not sure I'd want to fly a 2 grain H in a 6 grain case with 4 spacers. You'd be lifting a lot of extra aluminum, decreasing performance significantly.

6 and 3 grain cases plus 2 spacers would give the ability to fly 1 through 6 grain loads.

-Kevin

I fly single-use motors but that doesn't mean I haven't 'collected' a few reloadable motors over the years. :rolleyes:

AeroTech

18/20
24/40
24/60
29/40-120

CTI

Pro29 1G
Pro29 2G
Pro29 3G

ISP

29/60
29/100

Kosdon (Pre-KBA)

29/160 (?)

LOC/Precision

29/180
29/240

Propulsion Industries

29/120 (G80-X)

Synerjet

22/20-40
22/80-120
29/40-120

I have attached pictures of the more 'interesting' cases. ;)

Kosdon 29mm case and reload.jpg

Propulsion Industry 29mm case.jpg

Synerjet 29mm  22mm long & 22mm short casings.jpg

They are only certified for two spacers.

6 and 3 grain cases plus 2 spacers would give the ability to fly 1 through 6 grain loads.

-Kevin
Which would cover each company's motor line in a given diameter (AT does not have reload adapters for their 75mm and 98 mm motors yet, though), with a few exceptions. With Aerotech, you would cover most of the RMS 38 line by buying the 38/720 and the 38/360 motors and the 38mm Reload Adapter System, but that would leave out the 9-grain 38/1080. (You wouldn't be able to adapt that motor down anyway, since you can only use 2 spacers, and there are no 7-grain RMS 38 reloads.) In CTI's line, long-burn motors use a longer casing; for example, the Pro54 6GXL casing is 3" longer than the Pro54 6G casing. (There is also a long-burn version of the Pro29 6-grain motor and one for the Pro98 line.) They have a special long-burn case spacer that can be used for the Pro38's, but you can only use it by itself, not in combination with another spacer, so the 6GXL can only be adapted down for a 6-grain reload. (You can use 2 case spacers in the Pro29 6GXL, but this will only adapt it down for a 5-grain reload. I can't find any information about the Pro98 case spacers.) Aerotech's long-burn motors use the same casings as their regular line but with a different forward closure, so there aren't any special long versions of their 1-6 grain motor casings that require a different RAS spacer. For logical reasons, there is no case spacer to adapt a CTI Pro150 40K down to a 30K! :eek:

MK

Wow, lots of old motor brands that I have never heard of!

Synerjet (OK, I've heard a tiny bit about them)
APS
LOC made motors?
Propulsion Industries
Thunderflame?
Advanced Rocket Motors
Green Dragon

Purple Woody - I'm assuming that's an EX brand, right?
ISP - predecessor of Aerotech?
Kosdon East - predecessor of Animal Motor Works, I think.

I am so ignorant of HP motor history! :eek: :bang:

No one has any USR reloadable motors? :duck:

MK

tHe areotech adapter system seems more complicated than the cesseroni, does anyone know why? :confused2:

Wow, lots of old motor brands that I have never heard of!

Synerjet (OK, I've heard a tiny bit about them)
APS
LOC made motors?
Propulsion Industries
Thunderflame?
Advanced Rocket Motors
Green Dragon

Purple Woody - I'm assuming that's an EX brand, right?
ISP - predecessor of Aerotech?
Kosdon East - predecessor of Animal Motor Works, I think.

I am so ignorant of HP motor history! :eek: :bang:

No one has any USR reloadable motors? :duck:

MK

I think you should've add north coast rocketry to that list. ;)

Last edited:
My collection is very modest right now but I am steadily building it up. What I have so far:

Aerotech
(Aerotech brand)
24/60
29/40-120
38/360
38mm RAS

(Rouse-Tech brand)
24/40
38/120

CTI
Pro38 1 grain

The Pro38 was my first reloadable motor; my most recent is the AT 38/360 (and the RAS).

On my shopping list: CTI Pro29 3 grain + spacers; AT/R-T 29mm RMS + RAS; more AT/R-T 24mm cases (both sizes); AT/R-T 54mm RMS + RAS; more CTI Pro38s; CTI Pro54s + spacers. Maybe some Loki motors. All as finances permit. Probably hybrids down the road.

My high power hardware will remain very limited until after I obtain L1 certification. Again, as finances permit.

Here is a picture from a couple of years ago. Not shown are the AT24/60 and 38/360 and, of course, the brand-new reload adapters.

MK

Mark, Speaking of a level one, is anyone in ASTRE Level 2 certifyed? If so, I think you can get away with flying your cert rocket with astre if you use DD

tHe areotech adapter system seems more complicated than the cesseroni, does anyone know why? :confused2:
Aerotech's motors have a detachable forward closure, which CTI motors (up through Pro54s) do not. Consequently, the RAS design has to include one (plus a "floating forward closure" inside the motor casing). With the exception of those two extra parts, though, the systems are very similar. They both use standard one grain-long aluminum sleeves that slide into the case to take up the unused length.

MK

Mark, Speaking of a level one, is anyone in ASTRE Level 2 certifyed? If so, I think you can get away with flying your cert rocket with astre if you use DD
Yes, there at least a couple of members who have L2, and one who has Level 3 certification. I'm not sure how many high power certified members are in the club in total, because they never fly HPR at any of our launches. As I have mentioned to you on several previous occasions, ASTRE does not have any launch field that is large enough for high power flights. I don't think that the club even has HPR pads. There is no lack of HPR interest or ability among the membership. But to be able to hold high power launches, a club needs to have the use of a field large enough to provide the appropriate setbacks and it must also be large enough to provide a sufficient recovery area for higher altitude flights, because all rockets must recover within the field. Neither one of our fields has the needed dimensions. Most of our HPR certified members also belong to other clubs like METRA, and do their H and up flights at those launches. METRA's field in Pine Island is too far away from me (6 hours) to be practical for me to drive to for a one day launch. This lack of an HPR field within a reasonable distance from me is what has held me back from achieving HPR certification for the past 3 years. But witnesses aren't a problem; I have had several people offer to witness my certification flight. I missed a golden opportunity to do it last year at NARAM because I didn't have a rocket ready for it at the time. I didn't decided until the very last minute to attend, and I was only there for the first weekend.

MK

How bout NYPower 15 this year? And you could use DD to keep the rocket close to the launch site, also you can make a cheap rail launcher for $25 and a cheap tower launcher for around $10 Anyway, when the time comes I think I could get my Level one there.

Back