The best ignitier... built from scratch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DexterLB

Reaction score
There's a big vary of igniters. Not big, but BIG!
I have tryed with nicrome, but
1. It heats the nozzle it self too much, and after that, it could crack.
2. It gets too much amps from the batteries
3. If I use the car battery, after the launch the car doesn't start. :cry:
So, next step: comersial igniters, but
1. There are no ones in bulgaria
2. Bulgaria is a developing country, so go to 1. :(
So, I am asking: how to build an igniter, wich doesn't eat so much current and it provides flame for an instant?

Use a lighter gauge of nicrome like 42. The heaver gauge nicrome wires take more curent to heat up. the lighter gauges take less to heat up and burn quickly. fine steel wool will burn with just a 9 volt battery. light bulb filiment like the type in 2.5v xmas lights burn with 9v but i have not been able to get them to ignite a motor but have had good luck using them as ejection charges.

I would think that would be a heaver gauge of nicrome and the only way to tell is to test it by using a short length but just thinking about it I realy dont think so.

It is possible to make an igniter bridgewire from just about any metal. Ideally you want the resistance between 1 and 2 ohms so you are usually using bridgewires that are 0.001" to 0.003" thick. These wires will not directly ignite the motor. They must be coated with a pyrogen mixture that will chemically react and burn at about 300C. It is the chemical energy release of the pyrogen that actually ignites the motor.

Bob

Back