Graphic design software

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbeckey

Reaction score
There is an earlier thread about this below, but I don't think it gets to my question. What exact programs would be used to create something like a full page controller label? Is there a program that I can use to create boxes, circles and other shapes exactly where I want them and exactly the size I want them, to fractions of an inch? I am familiar with a several business form creation programs, but they could not easily be adapted to this purpose.

For instance, if I want to create two parallel lines of .50 inch holes, 1.5 inches apart vertically and horizontally, centered from left to right and top to bottom in a box of specified size, which is colored blue, is there a type of program designed to easily accomplish this?

Do you mean something like this?

This is scale (print and measure) - NOTE: Be sure to disable "scale to fit" on your printer driver before printing...

Did this in Corel draw in about 20 seconds... Does this kind of work VERY easily.

Heck, it took 3 times longer to make this post than it did to draw the figure... LOL

jim

View attachment rocket box.pdf

There is an earlier thread about this below, but I don't think it gets to my question. What exact programs would be used to create something like a full page controller label? Is there a program that I can use to create boxes, circles and other shapes exactly where I want them and exactly the size I want them, to fractions of an inch? I am familiar with a several business form creation programs, but they could not easily be adapted to this purpose.

For instance, if I want to create two parallel lines of .50 inch holes, 1.5 inches apart vertically and horizontally, centered from left to right and top to bottom in a box of specified size, which is colored blue, is there a type of program designed to easily accomplish this?

As Jim said, Corel Draw is an excellent program for that kind of application.

But, if you don't have it, PowerPoint is a good substitute which you may have. You can specify the exact size of shapes you draw and it provides simple, but effective tools for aligning, grouping, and spacing shapes. Use temporary lines and squares to set the distance between objects.

-- Roger

View attachment Dots.zip

I use corel Draw 11 and 13 for just about all my Graphic work. as with all software there is a learning curve but of all the packages i've personally tried CorelDraw was by far the fastest and easiest to pickup. any version you pick up can do all the things and MUCH more that you have just mentioned.
the drawing below was done in CorelDraw 10 it's been reduced in size to upload but you can see all the things your looking to do are there:)

I picked up Turbocad designer at office max for about $30. It is easy to use.

If you only need it for this one project, there's no point in spending a lot of money. Check out the free program called Inkscape before you buy anything. It will do what you need and more.

https://www.inkscape.org/

- Tom

Corel has a 30 day trial version you can check out to see if it will do what you want. Also if you own any of these products you can get a decent upgrade price ($199 vs $499):

CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, CorelDRAW (stand-alone), Corel PHOTO-PAINT, Corel DESIGNER, Micrografx Designer, Micrografx Graphics Suite, Micrografx / Corel Picture Publish.

I have an old version of Designer and am thinking of upgrading it, but not sure if I want to get Corel Draw X4 or pay an extra $100 for Designer 12 Technical.

Back