EMRR 2008 Challenge is Open!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket_James

Reaction score
2008 EMRR Challenge announced

Essence's Model Rocketry Reviews (EMRR) is pleased to announce their fourth annual EMRR Challenge. Designed to provide rocketeers with some milestones to achieve throughout the year, prior contests allowed participants to work at their own pace and on the challenges of their choice. This year’s contest is very similar but with a twist on the milestones. Challenges have to be completed by a date certain, prompting entrants to better pace their efforts to complete more challenges. The result should be a greater accumulation of points, and after all, that is the goal. As more challenges are completed, the more points scored. The more points scored, the better chance of winning a prize.

The prizes total over $1000, with Sheri’s Hot Rockets providing their largest Saturn V model, a $449 value, for the Gold Prize. The Silver Prize is an approximate $150 value 6-pack variety of Black Brants from Advanced Rocketry Group. The Bronze Prize is a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke provided by Uncle Mike’s Rocket Shack with a value of about $50. Additional bonus prizes are available for those that participate in the Design This Spaceship Contest. Once again, EMRR has found some outstanding spaceships to challenge your design skills in this Bonus Challenge. The top three winners in the Bonus Challenge will receive a Federation Models prize from which the contest is themed and other prizes include a Colonization Pack from Model Minutes US, a Rokitflite USS Odyssey kit, a registered version of SpaceCAD’s design software, and a $50 spending spree from JonRocket.com. But wait, there’s more! In addition, there is an added Youth Participation challenge with a whole host of prizes to be awarded: a 12-pack of any Beginner’s Level bulk pack with motors, complete with launch pad and controller from Quest; a 12-pack of any Skill Level 1 bulk pack, with the same number of catalogs, posters and range-box stickers from FlisKits; a 6-pack of Space Racers from Model Minutes US; a six-pack of the Ultra Delta Version 2.0 Flying Saucer Kits (for 18mm or 24mm motors) from Art Applewhite Rockets; a $50 spending spree from JonRocket.com; and a 4-pack of Baby Berthas provided by an anonymous guest.

In addition, all participants reaching a minimum level will receive a participation prize.

There are 10 items in the "Challenge" ranging from simple to creative, but all with a “scale” theme. For more information and to sign up, visit EMRR at https://www.rocketreviews.com/ and click on "Contests."

es-sence(es'uhns)- the basic, real, and invariable nature of a thing.

This year's challenge looks to be one of the hardest yet, but also the best out of the last 4. Hope more people enter it this year. The milestones are a great addition. i was one of those people that left it to the last minute to submit entries last year.

Additional bonus prizes are available for those that participate in the Design This Spaceship Contest.

Peachy, we're currently developing a kit based on the Leif Ericson. For the record, I started working on this months ago, long before the contest was announced.

Oh, yeah... I'm SO in... Looks like there are already a good number of folks on the list! Good luck to all! Learn from the last couple of years and don't wait to try and complete the goals all at the last second!

Oh, yeah... I'm SO in... Looks like there are already a good number of folks on the list! Good luck to all! Learn from the last couple of years and don't wait to try and complete the goals all at the last second!

Previous winners of $300 worth of cool stuff are excluded from the drawing for that Saturn V, though elligible for the Quest Saturn V as a substitute :p.

Umm, where do I enter? I can't seem to find out how.:eek:

Umm, where do I enter? I can't seem to find out how.:eek:

Just use the 'feedback' button on the site to let Nick know you want to be in the challenge..Make sure you also sign up for the eList as well...

I sent out a "call" to those on the Challenge using the eList Announcement e-mail and very few responded. Remember, you need to read those.

Also, note the first deadline is coming up... 5/1/08.

There are definately some early leaders, knocking out objectives early.

Regards,
Nick

I sent out a "call" to those on the Challenge using the eList Announcement e-mail and very few responded. Remember, you need to read those.
I don't think I got this. Can you resend one to me please?

Same here, I got it and replied!

I'm really enjoying the contest this year. The tracked deadlines really have made it a year-round contest. Cool idea.

Now if I can just get my review done...... :)

TODD MULLIN is the first to hit GOLD, but there is a lot of time left.

NOTE: There is a 5/1 deadline coming up.

Nick

6/1 Deadline for a review on a rocket on EMRR's Hit List is coming!

If you haven't flown it yet, at least get your draft started (and saved on EMRR) to reserve your points for when you do fly it.

Regards,
Nick

OK folks, another deadline is fast approaching. It's a big one, too. The Upscale/Downscale Design, Build and Fly challenge deadline is 9/1. That's only a couple weeks away, then at least one more challenge each month after that. A lot of folks are signed up, but you'll really need to get focused on meeting the deadlines to get those points built up for the top prizes. Don't procrastinate any longer. Let's roll!:D

Todd, Bill and a couple others are gonna run away with this thing if you don't get going. Come on, I bet they'll want you guys to challenge them on this. So, let's pick up the pace and give them a run for those great prizes!:pirate:

James

OK folks, another deadline is fast approaching. It's a big one, too. The Upscale/Downscale Design, Build and Fly challenge deadline is 9/1. That's only a couple weeks away, then at least one more challenge each month after that. A lot of folks are signed up, but you'll really need to get focused on meeting the deadlines to get those points built up for the top prizes. Don't procrastinate any longer. Let's roll!:D

Todd, Bill and a couple others are gonna run away with this thing if you don't get going. Come on, I bet they'll want you guys to challenge them on this. So, let's pick up the pace and give them a run for those great prizes!:pirate:

James

I've ordered parts for my 2.56" D-Region Tomahawk, but unfortunately, I'm having some troubles with one of the orders I placed as parts were damaged and missing. I don't think I can make the deadline.:(

I've ordered parts for my 2.56" D-Region Tomahawk, but unfortunately, I'm having some troubles with one of the orders I placed as parts were damaged and missing. I don't think I can make the deadline.:(

Think of it like a NARAM. You'll make it! :D

James

Ok, if I somehow do make it, but can't fly it before the deadline which means I can't complete and submit a review, can I save a draft of the review so I have everything but the flights? Will that still count for points or do I absolutely need some flights before the deadline?

Ok, if I somehow do make it, but can't fly it before the deadline which means I can't complete and submit a review, can I save a draft of the review so I have everything but the flights? Will that still count for points or do I absolutely need some flights before the deadline?

If you can have the DRAFT in, all the the flight, before the deadline and you fly and finish before the contest end, you will get the full points.

Before I fly and finish? So that means that I only need the construction part and everything before that in the draft?

Before I fly and finish? So that means that I only need the construction part and everything before that in the draft?

Sure... in DRAFT on EMRR (via the submit forms).

Ok, thanks. That makes it easier on me. Better get started on the build.:D

Soooooo..... how many of you guys have built your design this spaceship rocket? I've got mine at the first spray coat stage, just the finishing bits to do.
however, i have real concerns how it's going to fly, i'm predicting a wide arch loop followed by a power prang:(

Lol. I just recently finished my rocket for September. I have to stop procrastinating.

Lol. I just recently finished my rocket for September. I have to stop procrastinating.

Josh, I just finished my September build last night (I hope to fly it today in Cleveland) but the scale rocket for what, June(?) is still in process. I have to get my youth participation article written (hopefully this weekend) and THEN I can think about the spaceship rocket. I don't know if I'll make it...

I don't think I've gotten a single thing done my the deadline even if I finished it months before the deadline.

For me, this benchmark/deadline thing has NOT been a good thing.

[edit] Oh yeah, the one I still haven't finished is one I bought because it was on the Hit LIst. Now I'm so late it isn't on the list anymore.

for me the deadline thing has been good, if it wasn't for the deadlines i'd still have loads to do at the last minute- like the last few years, plus the last minute guys (like me) must really tank EMRR with dozens of reviews right at the end of the year, making his Christmas/new year really busy.

I haven't been able to keep up with the deadlines either. But that's mainly because of procrastination and school for me. However, I think that it adds a good challenge to the contest, as long as it doesn't interfere with my school work.

Back