Home made high powered rocket launch pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Hey folks, I know there are high powered pads out there, but I do not want to break the bank. I had an idea of using 3/4inch black iron pipping and fittings to construct the base, but I need an idea on how to make a mounting system to were the launch rail can mount so that it can tip over for easy loading of the rocket. Big enough to accepted a 1/2inch rod at the base of the rail. Any ideas??

I have a question to add to anyone out there...where can you buy standard HPR launch rail???

Still looking for good example for the OP but I can answer this one. It's made by a company called "8020". The standard rail is called 1010 and the big stuff at the away pads is 1515.

You can get it in various lengths at:

McMaster Carr
Fasten All
Grainger
etc.

I buy my railing off of ebay at the 8020 store. They are not bad at pricing and they ship super fast. As for what you are looking for in a base, there are a lot of designs out there. Myself, I secure my rails to a section of square tubing and mount a drill chuck off the side for mounting a rod. You can use carrage bolts on the rail for attachment to the square tubing.

Found this one on EMRR... looks like a neat way to hinge a rail; I haven't tried it yet.

Rail Launch Pad

My pad is made from 1.5" PVC, which is plenty sturdy and pretty light. I used a 4-way fitting in the center, and a drill chuck fits it just perfectly (it was under $10 at Harbor Freight.)

I'll try to add a pic in a few minutes.

EDIT: Added pic. I've also added a T to the end of each leg for stability. Each T has a hole drilled through it so the legs can be staked down. I also used a leftover piece of PVC as a center support (fits into the 4-way fitting, under the drill chuck)... it prevents any sagging from heavier rockets.

pad.jpg

Last edited:
Thats good that I can buy the rail from there, but I need to know a system of how to make a hinge on a high powered pad. I am using a 1 inch black iron cross fitting with 4, 45 degree elbows and 4, 24 inch black iron pipe for the legs to build the pad. Now I need a way to make a mounting system for the rod/rail to be able to pivit for horizontal loading of the rocket on the rail.

How big of a rocket are you wanting to put on it? There are a lot of good designs on EMRR or on here an RP that if you do a search for launch pads you could easily modify to your needs.

I need to make a launch pad that will be on a hinge that will allow it to turn over for easy loading, just like the commercial made high powered pads. I have started to build it and what I have so for is a 1inch cross fitting and 4 45 degree angle fittings, and 4 24 inch legs. I need to get any idea of a hinge system that wil accept a 1/2 rod. I know it is over kill but I like that. Anyone have any ideas on a hinged system?

I realize better about how you want to do this. The link I posted will probably not give you much insite. How big of a rocket do you plan on launching off of this, I might can come up with a decent idea for you.

The size of rocket does not matter much because I am your black iron and fittings to constructed. Lets say I want to use it will all different sizes of rockets, can excpet a 1/8th inch launch rod all the way up to a 1/2 launch rod. Since I am using 1 inch black rion the stengths it can handle is a ton, I know I will never put a rocket heavy enough on there to break it. I know how I would build it if I did not want a hing on it, but since I want a hing on it, it leads me to where I am now. I just need come up with somthing that will allow all 4 legs to stay on the ground at the same time the launch rail/rod is leaned over horizontal for easy loading and can be put in vertical postion with ease, just like the high dollar commercial pads.

I was asking so I could have a better idea of what strength you need in the hinge, but thats ok. I am sure you will figure something out.

Looks like you have settled on the black iron, so just adding my $0.02 . . .
I would stay away from PVC legs if you plan to go above L1 stuff. The photo below is my L2 cert with a J350 off a pad with PVC legs. The rod whip, and resulting trajectory meant a bit more walking than I had planned on!

rodwhip.jpg

Rail over rods ANY day of the week... Check out the pic, 'nuff said...
It's a bit hard to see in the pic, but the rod is bent in the opposite direction that the rocket is flying.
And no, that guy in the background wasn't as close as he looks... ;)

R

Vulcanite_I300.jpg

This is a late reply to an older post. Did you ever solve the problem?

Thanks for posting John Coker's link... I'd forgotten about his site, used to spend a lot of time there checking out his solutions to building issues! ;)
That launch base is exactly what I wanted. I was trying to google up HPR pad plans, but googling 'Launch Pad' brings up all of the kits that "The Launch Pad"
ever made, and a ton of Estes stuff! ;)

R

Back