Malewicki's SkyCycle rocket...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switenky

Reaction score
You may have heard about this recent auction on Ebay:

https://tinyurl.com/yuyxsh

The thought occurs to me that there is probably enough information in this posting to be able to build a clone.

It's 21 inches long and fits a FSI F motor (that would be a 27mm engine mount, so 24mm or 29mm is an option, depending on where you would want to fly it)

I think with with some careful analysis you could figure out where the boattail begins. I'd guess that looks like about BT-80. The nose doesn't quite look like a Super Big Bertha nosecone. Does anyone recognize that nosecone as a standard part?

If you look in the Q&A part of the eBay posting, you'll see him say that the wheels:
"... came from existing plastic kit motorcycles. The rims and spokes were injection molded plastic that was vacuum metallized with chrome plating. Tires were molded solid rubber. They have tread and side markings molded in. "

Also about the construction:
"Test Rocket body is lightweight cardboard tubes with balsa nose cone, canopy and fins. PR model is solid hardwood. Was turned on a lathe. Fins & canopy also hardwood"

So it sounds like it was a custom nose cone. So I guess we'd be stuck turning it on a lathe.

Any comments?

Shawn

Nice launch in the pics- "Blast deeflector? we don't need no steenking blast defleector!":surprised:

Hmmm...I have no experience with FSI motors, but from other's stories it is interesting that the validated their software simulation using FSI motors. I guess they did do three flights.

Since Evil's recent passing, I've been considering a downscale build of the skycycle as a bit of a commerative. Haven't actually put pencil to paper yet but am looking at something in the T4 size range jusr for fun.

Most FSI motors were pretty good. Used to fly many of them just for fun. Still have a couple F100's that I've managed to save for special projects LOL!

Micromeister

Just because I like the guy so much and because I'm assuming you do too, I'll point out that his name was EVEL, not EVIL.

It's a spelling issue his family would want us to be sensitive to....

:)

Back