Epoxy clay

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohica

Reaction score
Quite awhile back I bought some Fixit brand epoxy clay in the 1/4 pound tubs from Apogee. It was really good stuff and it goes a long way but at over $10 for a 1/4 pound it's pricey. Here is what I have used it for...

Fin fillets on big birds.

Sculpting cockpits

Structural repairs.

Gap filling.

Nose cone repair.

Sculpting detail pieces.

I am sure their are many other uses for this stuff as well. I have never really talked much about it though due mainly to price. That changed early this am when I found basically the same stuff for $13 per pound!

I found it here...
https://www.clayalley.com/apoxie.htm

It's called Milliput here. Handy for small scale nosecones. You can get the ogive shape easily and it's the noseweight as well. Like this one.

P8261018.jpg

Very interesting find. Do you have any idea what the shelf life is, once the product has been opened?

I can't speak the other products but my pack of Milliput was still workable after 10 years. Just keep it wrapped.
Mind you, Milliput is MUCH more expensive than yours, about GBP3 for a 4oz. pack.

Very interesting find. Do you have any idea what the shelf life is, once the product has been opened?

I have some "Fixit" that was opened a year or so ago that I used this am...seems fine.

Is this stuff smelly? I got some cheapo epoxy clay from Lowes. After I worked with it, I couldn't think straight for an hour!

Alright. That's nice to hear. The epoxy clay I have (I haven't used all of it, even though it's a few years old...it's just too smelly to go near), at first, smells like someone farted. Then the smell gets worse to something I can't even describe.

It's called Milliput here. Handy for small scale nosecones. You can get the ogive shape easily and it's the noseweight as well. Like this one.

Fixit epoxy putty and Milliput are not the same thing - I've got both. Milliput is white and VERY fine grained, and is easier to sand than Fixit (Fixit is dark gray). Milliput is also workable with water, while Fixit is stickier and requires rubbing alcohol to smooth/work. Milliput is excellent as a filler for plastic models, and I have used it to cast small pieces for gaming (I made a set of 1/2" long Formula 1 race cars for a racing game I used to play a lot) - I simply worked the mixed Milliput into an RTV rubber mold I had made from a master and smoothed it in with water.

Then it isn't superglue (at least in the conventional sense). Superglue (aka CA) is water activated. You can't use an activating agent as a base.

If it's water activated, wouldn't you have to expose it to water in order for it to set and dry? Kind of like polyurethane glue.

I get my Fix It from Aves direct ($20 for a 1pound supply). They sell it in a variety of colors. (I have white black gray bronze etc...) The difference between it and Apoxie is the heat tolerance. Fix It is to stands up to 500 degrees. That makes it great for things that go around the motor. The apoxie is great too. It works to a great smooth finish with just a touch of isopropal alcohol (vodka works well too).:pirate::pirate::pirate:

Cj

Back