Paper nose cone templates?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

Reaction score
just wondering if there is anywhere to find templates for paper(cardstck) nosecones of different sizes? I've made them before,but most of the time it takes me a few tries to get them right.
Thanks!

Larry

I made a program a little while back for TI-83 and 84 calculators to calculate the size of a shroud template based on a provided large diameter, small diameter, and length (calculations from Model Rocket Design and Construction)

Program: Shrouds

:Input "SMALL DIA. ",E
:Input "LARGE DIA. ",D
:Input "LENGTH ",L
:(D-E)/2=Y
:sin-1((1/squarerootof(((L/Y)^2+1))=A
:Disp "ANGLE IS: ",360sin(A
:Disp "SMALL RAD: ",(E/(2sin(A))
:Disp "LARGE RAD: ",(D/(2sin(A))

If you don't have a programmable calculator, the calculations should still be fairly easy to use with a scientific calculator, just do the above one step at a time. The output is the small radius size, large radius size, and angle of the template (starting from a fixed point, see attached image).

Oh, and make sure the trig calculations are done in degrees; and since you just want to make nose cones, the small rad should always be zero.

View attachment shroud.PNG

I use a program called 'Cone v1.3' that shows the cone in 3D and prints out a template of the unfolded shape. I have a link to it on my links page, that can be accessed from my Rocketology page.

Let me know what you think.

Latest posts

Back