125 Students Were Introduced to Model Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TZ250

Reaction score
About two hours ago, 125 elementary students were introduced to model rocketry. This was my second launch ever. There were two kindergarten classes and three fourth grade classes. Each class has about 25 students. The rocket is an Apogee Aspire with a D12. That seems to be a good combination for small fields.

Most of them had never heard about rockets. All seemed interested, even the girls. We talked about math, science and physics. I wanted the students to have fun, but I also wanted the experience to be educational. The launch was successful in every possible way. The loved it!

I used my camera tripod to hold the 1” thick, 8” X 8” aluminum launch pad. My stainless steel guide rod was threaded into the launch pad. We had a slight wind. While the rocket was out of sight, the students were asking lots of questions. I couldn’t answer all of them at once. The rocket landed about 200 yards away.

When I returned with the rocket, the kids wanted to see how it worked and they asked lots of questions.

I wanted them to see why math and science are important. I’ve also done some basic chemistry experiments with them. My goal is to motivate our future scientists.

Rocketry is addicting!

Did you give each of them a free certificate and report the number of first time flyers to the NAR?

https://www.nar.org/2006/08/nars_50th_birthday_celebration.php

Uh, they didn't fly any rockets. TZ250 flew a rocket for them. So, the certificates don't apply. But good to let them know model rocketry is available.

Now, on the other hand, SoAR helped 497 cub scouts build and fly their first rockets (Estes Up Aerospace SpaceLoft rockets) this past Saturday at the BSA Foothills District Family Campout. We started launching at 9:30am and finished a little before 6:00pm. We totaled out at around 520 launches (some of our members brought their own rockets). I don't know if certificates were handed out that day, but they will get certificates.

Back