Wanted: Submissions for Model Rocket Design & Construction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apogee

Reaction score
I'm beginning the process of adding new material to the 3rd Edition to my book: Model Rocket Design and Construction.

Can you think of any design tips, or construction techniques that should be added to the next edition?

Please cc to my email, as I don't get to TRF every day.https://www.apogeerockets.com/contact_us.asp

Thanks!

I'll send an email.
I would suggest information on glue rivets, or more commonly known "epoxy rivets". In the last edition of your book you briefly touch on mid-power rockets. I believe this is a valid and useful technique, and appropriate for mid-power designs.

he specified to reply by email...
D'oh!
Always go back and read the original question...Always go back and read the original question...Always go back and read the original question.

I'm getting emails from the forum when a new post appears. So can check the new suggestions. Please keep them coming. They are great so far.

Interested in an altimeter data analysis section?

Examples:
For a baro-only unit, how to filter to get a rough estimate of the initial velocity and acceleration.

For a combination baro-accel unit, how to calculate Cd as a function of velocity, including analyzing weathercocking to determine horizontal velocity at apogee. How to use an accelerometer to measure the deployment velocity and the shock cord rebound force. How to use all the above to measure the motor thrust curve and total impulse based on the in-flight measurements.

The engineer in me would love to add flight data analysis to Rocksim to generate predict vs. actual plots.

Interested in an altimeter data analysis section?

Examples:
For a baro-only unit, how to filter to get a rough estimate of the initial velocity and acceleration.

For a combination baro-accel unit, how to calculate Cd as a function of velocity, including analyzing weathercocking to determine horizontal velocity at apogee. How to use an accelerometer to measure the deployment velocity and the shock cord rebound force. How to use all the above to measure the motor thrust curve and total impulse based on the in-flight measurements.

The engineer in me would love to add flight data analysis to Rocksim to generate predict vs. actual plots.

Can I add a vote to add this to the book? :D I would love more technical details like that.

Not sure that this would quite 'fit' in your book, but a warning against over-building might be good.

Not sure that a beginner would understand the whole idea (and it might give bad ideas)

Not sure that a more experienced builder would pay any attention (those that 'know it all' tend not to listen to advice from others, and those that build light have already learned their lesson)

I guess some kind of emphasis on safety with respect to making mods to kits or to building with materials other than balsa, plastic, etc?

Powderburner,

IME those who have come up thru the ranks of mod roc, esp NAR competition, don't tend to overbuild nearly as much as those just starting fresh in HPR. My L1 rocket which I thought was an absolute porker--everyone was marveling at the light weight. It had FG on it, (A LOC 45). So I'm guessing this won't be a big issue with Tim's audience, but couldn't agree with you more. Its a sin. Now on my L2, this was my first full blown Mach flight, and imagining all kinds of invisible demons, managed to build an AF you can drive a truck over--12 0z CF over phenolic. Talk about over built, but this was in 54 diameter so final weight was 3.4# or so--in fact I flew it yesterday on a little I65 SU motor, man that was fun.
J

Back