NOXIOUS Class Intersteller Missile System M-4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlaineC

Reaction score
This is going to be the build and REVIEW thread for the American Alliance Rocketry M4 NOXIOUS Mid Power Rocket. I will be reviewing this rocket as I build It as requested by the designer of the kit. So I will be making a large number of posts in this Area. Please do not slam my comments in this area. They are only My opinions and thoughts. I will post Pics as I go. step buy step and I will be reviewing each part of the process as well as making suggestions as I move along. Please do not post your comments here I have started another thread for this purpose.

Feel free to comment now. Build is done. Will post More photos as soon as I can

comments made during constructionare in this thread.

Weight: 7.5 oz
Lower body outer Diameter: 2.64"
Upper Body Outer Diameter: .98"
Fin Span: 10.64"
Hight: 41.75"
Max Range: 800'+
Recovery Device: 18" Mylar Parachute
Engine Class D12-3/ D12-5/ E9-4/ E9-6

noxious.jpg

I received the package today. Their was minor crushing damage to the box. Probing that the USPS does not follow the directions provided by the shipper. all three sides of the box read "Fragile top load only."

Upon inspection of the product the was only miner damage to the thiner body tubes. nothing I beleave that can not be hidden. See photos.

The Main packaging for the rocket is a decent plastic bag set up. The face card or lack their of. Could have provented this minor damage.

All of the smaller parts come in a zip lock bag wich I feel is a great Idea.

To be continued

Image10.jpg

Image9.jpg

As with all rocket kits, we start our build with reading the complete instructions.

The instructions come on a total of 3 pages back to back for six in all. (not including the templates)

1. The first page lists all of the parts and has the fin placement guide.
  • a. All parts are listed clearly with the symbol that will be used in the building process.
  • b. Tube measurements are listed for each tube giving the ability for cloning in the future.
2. This page has well thought out story, giving the history of the American Alliance.

3-5. These are the main build pages
  • To the point.
  • worded well
  • The fount chosen is good for the read. Comfortable on the eyes.
  • Cramped : I found he instructions for the build cramped Making it very easy to skip steps or loose place just working on the build.
  • cumbersome: Parts of the instructions really need to be set up as they are written. Some parts are stepped out a,b,c but due to the fact that they are so cramped together it look like a long run on sentence.
  • steps need to be separated by line skips. or text boxes.
  • Spelling errors. I fund only one or two errors hough I admit their could be more.
  • The organization of the steps can be confusing bouncing from one end to the other.
6. These are the launch instructions.
  • Very Clear
  • Warning about the launch rod is clearly labeled
  • Launch rod size requirement should also be on the info card.
7-8 Fin templates
  • Clear
  • Some parts cut off and need to be extended.
  • No grain markings though leading edge is marked.
  • some templates should be moved to center of the page.
  • Engine block tool is great idea.
  • card sock would be better for the template. or carbon paper.
  • Templates copy easy for working pages and keeping instructions together.
I will make adjustments to this area after the build is complete.

The first step in the build is to insert and pack the two slabs of clay into the nosecone.

the next step was to use epoxy or plastic cement to glue it to the upper tube.

noxcone.jpg

This step deals with the transferring the fin pattern to the balsa and cutting them out.

It is suggested to cut the patterns out and tape them to the balsa. seeing a steel ruler carefully cut out the fins. I photo copied the patterns the centered each one on a sheet 8 /2 x 11 after wrapping and taping it tightly to the balsa. I then taped the pattern to the paper. untaped the full seat and photo copied it again. I then took carbon paper and a pattern transfer tool and ruler and traced the pattern to the balsa. This worked very well. I then cut out the fins.

The four main fins have a small part that needs to be attached to the bottom of the trailing edge in order to compete the fin I suggest that you leave the scrap on this part and only cut out what will be glued to the fin edge. After the fins dries make sure the tabs line up properly and then trim the scrap off.
  • Very easy transferring.
  • a single pattern for each fin could be used like older style kits.
  • a sheet of carbon paper could come with the kit or suggested or pattern transfer.
  • If cut out pattern is liked better the pattern of all three fins and tool could be placed on heavy card stock to be cut out and used for tracing.
This was a very short part of the construction. Took about 30 min for all fins to be cut and main fins glued.

Photos are as follows
  1. Main fin assembled ( scrap left form adjucting.) Main fin frimed to right size.
  2. secoundary fin pattern transfered to balsa
  3. getting ready to transfert the smaller fins.
  4. tools I use
  5. Carbon paper ready to wrap on balsa

Image55.jpg

Image75.jpg

Image84.jpg

Image85.jpg

Image83.jpg

The Assembly of the engine tube was very up front, and easy

I only have two suggestions for this changing the paper centering ring to a light ply ring the paper ring works but a light birch ply ring would be stronger for this ring. Seeing it will be taking allot of stress from the fins. The only other suggestion is to hold off gluing the wooden centering ring on until the main fins are glued in place so that inner filets can be added to the engine tube where the fins touch and the main body tube.

I took time and sanded the paper ring to fit into he tube just right. The after the fin slots were cut I fited the fins and checked the placemt on the engine tube and fin alinement before gluing it.to the tube.

Total Time 28min
  • 8 min construction
  • 20 for adding glue fillets in three parts.

Image59.jpg

Image60.jpg

Image65.jpg

Most of these steps consist of dealing with the fins and fin can.

step 5. using the provided tube marking guide on the parts page. You Mark the upper and lower body tubes.

step 6 requires you to make the secondary lines in the lower body tube for slot location. If you do not pay close attention to the first side you place the line you can mess up allot.

step 7. Is cutting out and prepping the rest of the fins if you have not done so already. Their area total of 16 fins. With the main fins consisting of two parts each.

step 8. is very simple. Take a main fin with the large tab down and mark the tabs between the lines made on the fin can.

step 9. add fillis to the engine tubes tube.

step 10. you take the a razer and slowly cut the slots into the tubes by taking a small amount at a time.

Once you get started building this rocket it is a very fun build and time begins to fly by.

The steps 5-10 are up to this point very basic. Their quick and easy to do right

Image53.jpg

Image54.jpg

Image58.jpg

Steps 17-21 deal with the construction on the main fin can or lower body

17. mounting the engine mount into the can

18.installing the upper centering ring and mount support.

19. installing the secondary fins to the engine mount and upper centering ring.

20.mounting the through the wall shock cord

21. attaching the main fins to the fin can

All in all the lower fin can was very decent build. One of te better through the wall designs I have seen. Though I would suggest altering the engine mount assembly steps inorder to allow for inner fillets to be made. It would also allow for three centering rings to be used to help strangthin the fins. Also use a spent casing or dowal cut to size when installing the fins. This allows you to know how much triming must be done to the fin tabs.

total time 24 hours

the main build took me about an hour but the fillet and glue cureing times I decided to let it sit.

Image72.jpg

Image73.jpg

Image74.jpg

Image71.jpg

Steps 11 and 12 deal with building the bulkhead and upper body coupler. You wil need to sand down the bulkhead to get a proper fit.

Step 13 deals with installing the upper nose fins.

14 and 15 deal with the placement and installation of the mid fins.

My only suggestion for the mid fins would be to use model airplane silk or cheese cloth to help build a stronger joint.

The upper body was fun to build took a little to get the fin to line up properly but they came out great. A good glue joint is a big part of this build.

total time 45 min

I took my time holding each fin in place for about 5 minas it began to cure.then set aside for 24 hours after.

Image61.jpg

Image69.jpg

Image76.jpg

Image81.jpg

Image89.jpg

NOTE I recived the package the morning of the 23 and fully finished her late night the 24 without paint . It s not because I have no life but because work has been really slow and it way something to do besides go nuts.

The final parts of this build are the installation of the swivels, the building of the parachute, and gluing on the launch lugs. Then its set a side to dry then prime and paint.

The mylar chut is great just make sureyou are not near the windows on a sunny day when working with it:( ( my eyes)

I decided that before I paint this beautiful bird I wated to fly :Dher that information to come soon:p

Image78.jpg

Image80.jpg

Image82.jpg

Image88.jpg

Image87.jpg

thursday 25oct2007 Skys clear with slight clouds overcast early on.

As I stated I could not wait to fly this lovely bird so I strapped her to my wheel chair grabbed my field box and 6 foot rod and off I went. The looks I got by people as I headed down to the park. So as soon as I find a decent spot to fly her safely I set up shop.

I only had three engines to fly her on so I took it easy. I readied her for flight stuffed 8 sheets of wadding into her one filled with graphite talc mix, Chute and D12-5. I love the fact that she came with a spacer for use with d engines. Slide her on the rod hook up the leads and back up 30 feet. Count down.

She lifted off slowly almost as if she was in slow motion then soared into the sky.
I got scared when she hit apogee and her ejection charge didn’t go off just yet. It was 2 seconds late. (Great older engine I bet.)

Deployment chute took up with air and she floated to the ground like a feather.

I couldn’t wait I speeded over and grabber her up pulled the engine out with the spacer inserted the e9-4. 6 sheets of wadding and repacked the chute. Placed on the rod and readied her to go. Picked up the launcher and counted down. Like a lighting bolt she screamed off the pad. What a lovely flight then the ejection charge went off and down she came again. This time she landed very close to me so I didn’t even need to move to far. I collected her up and packed everything up. And headed for home. This bird fly’s great.

I think that bird would be better with a baffle. So I am working on one and will have the designer look at it before I try it.

My next post will be the completed review for you to look at I hope I did a deent job with the build thread. It is my fist. I didn't wat to over o under do it t I anted to put my review is as well. again I hopeyou all liked it.

Charlaine, Even though you requested no post here, and suprising enough it's free from them, you know, me being the designer...well (the U.S. Army "Nike Ajax") me being the first that I know of to reproduce it, just had to put my 2 cents in... THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REVIEW! Although, I had that little disagreement about part of what you wrote, I AM VERY HAPPY with the overall job! I am quite pleased you did such a good job with the construction, and you like the new addition to your fleet and her flight! Just one thing left after you brush up your review here, as requested in my original posting, please add your review to: Essence's Model Rocketry Reviews May your skies be forever blue, the wind light, and fresh batteries in your launch controller! I must include this WARNING: Before you make a mistake of reproduction...take into consideration that the instructions you possess are COPY WRITED! I'm not being nasty, just being realistic and hopefully avoiding any ill fated actions...the instructions are for "your eyes only"...yes you have already scaned them, which is ok for "personal" use, but, that "should" be as far as they go, at least until if/when I deside to release them to the public. (All Rights Reserved)

added: original comment - "me being the first that I know of to reproduce it"...I stand corrected, it has been brought to my attention that it has been done by two other companies. Not seeing either of these, I will say that this one is very close to scale, and I would gladly match its flight up against the others!

Instructions

As with all rocket kits, we start our build with reading the complete instructions.

The instructions come on a total of 3 pages back to back for six in all. (not including the templates)

The single page parts list has a complete list all of the parts and has the fin placement guide.
  • · All parts are listed clearly with the symbol that will be used in the building process.
  • · Tube measurements are listed for each tube giving the ability for future repairs.
  • has well thought out story, giving the history of the American Alliance.
The main build pages consist of three pages
  • · To the point.
  • · Worded well
  • · The fount chosen is good for the read. Comfortable on the eyes.
  • · Cramped: I found the instructions for the build cramped making it very easy to skip steps or loose place just working on the build.
  • · Steps could be separated by line skips for easy reading.
  • · Spelling errors. I fund only one or two errors though I admit there could be more.
  • · Very easy to remember after reading through.
The launch instructions consist of one page.
  • · Very Clear
  • · Warning about the launch rod is clearly labeled
  • · Launch rod size requirement should also be on the info card. Or in description of the kit in the catalog.
Fin templates
  • · Clear
  • · Some parts cut off and need to be extended.
  • · No grain markings though (mainly needed for the smaller fin sets), leading edge is marked.
  • · Templates should be moved to center of the page for better transferring.
  • · Engine block tool is great idea and reusable.
  • · Card sock would be better for the template.
  • · Carbon paper could be suggested for pattern transfer.
Over all the instructions are well thought out and planned.

Construction of this build was a blast. I did not want to stop. Had to pry myself away at times just to let the glue dry.
  • · Complex build yet not overly hard
  • · Fun
  • · Comfortable build/ no major worries during construction
  • · The paper centering ring could be replaced with light birch ply
  • · Definitely need a good cradle for this build
  • · No difficulties during build.
  • · Quality parts
  • · Kevlar shock cord may be a thought to be added.
Design
I don’t want to go overboard with the design but I feel my words say it all
  • · Beautiful build
  • · Screams for a two-stage variant.
  • · Innovative design
  • · Lug stand off looking like a mounting for a launcher add to the militarist appearance.
  • · Soon to be a timeless classic.
Decals
The decals are great even with the white backing. Though I do feel that something is needed.
  • · White backing limits the paint jobs unless you are great at free hand decal placement.
  • · The flag could be updated to fit the futuristic feel of the kit
  • · More military style marking should be added
1. Serial numbers
2. Cradle and lift points
3. Stock number

Flight

This bird flies better then I expected. I have nothing but praise for it.

Flight 1 Test fight D12-5
  • Great slow lift off
  • 6 foot rod is best for this bird. do not use a small rod 3 feet or less. min of 4 foot or 5 foot
  • Recovery was nice and slow. with a soft landing
Flight 2 main flight E-4
  • Beautiful lift off
  • Thrusted flight was steady
  • enjected recovery was wounderfull
  • no damage during recovery.
This build was one of my best builds ever. I had nothing but fun building her and flying her. If your into military style rockets and other unique designs then I really suggest you head over to https://www.aa-rocketry.com/ and look at the other beautiful birds. I know for me I will be buying from this vendor more.Theircustomer service is wounderfull and informative. Though I may not have used much of him He did provide warnings and other help when we talked. Promped returns of emails and or pms. Feel free to contact him a anytime.

WARNING: Before you make a mistake of reproduction...take into consideration that the instructions you possess are COPY WRITED! I'm not being nasty, just being realistic and hopefully avoiding any ill fated actions...the instructions are for "your eyes only"...yes you have already scaned them, which is ok for "personal" use, but, that "should" be as far as they go, at least until if/when I deside to release them to the public. (All Rights Reserved)

I just wantd you to know I have not scanned them. I photo copied the templaes for useage butI respect your dsign and wishes. I misworded myself before and since completed and finished the reviw. I hope you like it.

I could hardly ask for better praise! :eek: If I pushed the issue of the couple of knocks you gave me dealing with my writing, I would be a fool... THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH CHAR! :D

Ooooookay now, you heard the lady! Everyone go to my site and put a smile on my face! I be just a struggling entrepreneur trying to make it... Being the nice guy that I am, let me say I take care of those that take care of me! Don't ask, just purchase and find out later. ;)

You know you asked me for an honest review and that is what I trove to provide. Do have a list of suggestions for you wich if you would like I will send. I can not stress how beautiful this kit is.

Back